PDA

View Full Version : This Can't Be Good!

MOturkey
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Went to the garage today, taking advantage of the 70 degree weather, with plans to pull out my Walker, wash it off and sharpen the blades, about the last thing I need to do before starting up the mowing season.

Well, I started cranking the engine (19 horse Kohler), it fired and started momentarily (cold natured) and something made a noise similar to something hitting a fan blade. I tried again, and the same noise after the engine fired up. I shut it down and opened the body shell, seeing if anything obvious was amiss. Couildn't find anything stuck in a fan blade or belt, so closed the hatch and started it again. No problem. I backed the mower out into the driveway and raised the body again, leaving the engine running. I still couldn't figure out what made the noise, but it seemed to have corrected itself, so I went on about my business, leaving the engine running for about 15 minutes, so the battery would charge completely. Engine ran smoothly, no odd noises.

I might note that I changed the oil on the engine just before parking it for the winter, so I was now thinking perhaps the oil took a few seconds to pump up, causing the engine to knock momentarily.

The mower set for a couple of hours while I changed the blades and washed it off, and did a few other things in the garage. Closed the shell, and started the engine to pull it in the garage. Same noise. This time, I left it running and lifted the body. The noise was the dipstick, which is vertical on this engine, being blown up against the underside of the body in time with the rpm's.

First thing that comes to mind is a broken ring, and/or piston, but if this is the case, why did it not do this for the time it was sitting there running, plus, with my limited experience, I would have thought the engine would have run roughly, which it didn't.

Any thoughts by you guys who are mechanics, which I am not? Just for your information, the engine only has about 400 hours on it. I'm just curious what to expect when I take it to the shop. Thanks.

GMLC
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe a mouse went for a ride on the fan:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe a stuck ring from sitting over the winter? Run it a while and see if it clears up.

Lugnut
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
So the dipstick is being blown out and is there oil splattering out all over? If this is the case, and seeing that you just changed the oil i would guess that there was simply too much oil in there, causing way too high oil pressure. If this was the case be thankful the dipstick blew out and not an engine seal.

MOturkey
02-27-2011, 11:13 PM
So the dipstick is being blown out and is there oil splattering out all over? If this is the case, and seeing that you just changed the oil i would guess that there was simply too much oil in there, causing way too high oil pressure. If this was the case be thankful the dipstick blew out and not an engine seal.

No, oil level is correct. No oil was blowing out, just gasses.

Lugnut
02-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Hmm, I was having trouble visualizing what the dipstick was doing... hope its an easy fix once you get it to the dealer. Let us know what it turned out to be

MOturkey
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Called the mechanic at the dealer this morning, and explained the symptoms to him. He said it was most likely a broken valve that controls the crankcase pressure, which, to me, makes sense, because of it being intermittent in nature.

Hopefully, he's right, because this would be a whole lot better than either a new engine or engine overhaul. I'm taking it to the shop probably today or tomorrow. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

MOturkey
02-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Had this happen not to an engine, but an automatic transmission in my old Jeep Cherokee once. Took it in for service and the idiots in the shop added too much transmission fluid. Went to pick up a boat I'd bought about 200 miles from home the next day. It was a cold day, so drove almost all the way there before it started blowing fluid. I, of course, thought I'd blown a seal, so stopped at a C-store and bought about 5 quarts of fluid, hoping that would get me home. Finally figured out what had happened when it kept leaking, but the dipstick still said it was full. :) Man, was I ticked.

Jason Rose
02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Humm, that's odd. But I know the results of firing up an engine like that without putting the cap back on the dipstick opening. Yep, oil sprayed on the ceiling! So yours MAY be simpler than what you think. You have the older style push-on dipstick I take it? Is it fitting tight like it should? There should be an o-ring on the tube itself to seal it and make it fit tight. I've also never heard of a 19 hp Kohler. And to my knowledge walker has never had a 19 hp option. Just curious if that's original or a replacement?

MOturkey
02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Jason, I THINK it is a 19. Will check to be sure. Now you've got me wondering if I am wrong. :) The mower is a 2002 model C. Belonged to a homeowner previously, and I don't use it much, hence the low hours. I'm sure it is the original engine.

Jason Rose
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Well I think the model C used to have an 18 on it, and recently, since the MT is now standard with a minimum 23 hp the MC is a 20. I'm pretty sure my MC is an 18... But I haven't messed with it in a while! Anything is possible though.

CLS LLC
02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
It is probably just a plugged up crankcase breather. Replace the breather and it should be fine.

bryansong
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Neill,

I'm sorry for your Walker trouble. I hope it is an easy low cost repair.

Bryan

Ooomwizard
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Check your blades for tightness and your deck for bent parts, etc. Also, you may have slightly spun a woodruff key on your crank/magneto.

MOturkey
03-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Neill,

I'm sorry for your Walker trouble. I hope it is an easy low cost repair.

Bryan

No problem, Bryan. This is the first issue I've had with it, and I'm thinking it isn't a serious problem. I'm taking it to the shop tomrrow and let them check it out.

We get up your way once in a while now, since our son moved to KC, KS. Hope all is going well for you. Have you worn that Scag out yet? :)

bryansong
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
No problem, Bryan. This is the first issue I've had with it, and I'm thinking it isn't a serious problem. I'm taking it to the shop tomrrow and let them check it out.

We get up your way once in a while now, since our son moved to KC, KS. Hope all is going well for you. Have you worn that Scag out yet? :)

The Scag is still running eventhough it is so advanced in years.

Do you remember that ditch issue I had (always too wet and that rear caster of the Walker digging in)? I still had problem mowing it with the Scag. I did get some work done on it last Fall, there is a French drain running the whole lenght of the frontage with a big catch basin at the bottom above the drive culvert. I am hopeful this solves the problem.

I hope the retirement from the Milk route is good to you and good luck with your mower issue, I hope it isn't major.

Bryan

ALC-GregH
03-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Overfilling the oil isn't going to crate more oil pressure. It can cause more crankcase pressure. I imagine that's what you meant.

MadeintheShadeGardening
11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
i know this is an old post but in my experience you have to make sure you push down on the dipstick until it snaps shut or it will blow around.