PDA

View Full Version : 37" Toro Proline

Shady Brook
09-14-2002, 03:44 PM
I just picked up one of these units real cheap with a 12.5 Kaw. I have not tried it in think grass, just my dry weed filled property. Would there be any benifit in running doubles, or would it hurt the mulching capeablity of the mower? If Doubles work well, what blade combination would you recomend? Also, how does it side discharge?

Thanks a bunch
Jay

odin
09-14-2002, 03:53 PM
jay

Does it have the sfs deck?If it does it will cut smooth and discharge evenly and wont clump much and will stripe excellant.
But the clippings will be long.If 3 inchs are cut off that's how much will be discharged.

We tried the toro atomic blades and they did help reduce the size of the clippings.
Havent tried doubles yet on our zmaster's

Shady Brook
09-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Jack

No SFS, I believe it is a recycler. It is fully baffled, and mulches my weeds pretty nice. Definitely not an SFS. Funny thing is, I can not find an oil filter for it?

Jay

gravedigger5
09-14-2002, 11:35 PM
Not sure about yours, but my 15hp and 25hp Kawi's use the same filter and I think (not positive) that I've only seen one oil filter part# listed in some catalogs. JMHO Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:cool:

CS Lawns
09-15-2002, 10:30 PM
I have the same unit, Dealer told me doubles would hurt the mulching capabilities. I use it in tall/thick grass all the time cuts and mulches great at a slower speed of course. It side discharges tall grass fine will have to go over 2 times sometimes to mix up the clippings. Throws short grass pretty good and does strip good either dischargeing or mulchine. overall I think its a good machine. Gotta love the T bar! The Toro dealer will have the filters.

Shady Brook
09-15-2002, 11:05 PM
CS

Thanks for the comments! Could you tell me when you mulch, and when you side discharge? Like in the Spring do you find yourself dischargeing or mulching? It seems to do a good job on the leaves from my minimul experience. Not sure if I like the T bar, in someways yes, but on 180 turns, I find it a pain to turn without missing some grass.

Thanks
Jay

YLC1
09-16-2002, 10:55 AM
I've used a Toro 37" Recycler for 10 years.It's a 12.5hp Kawasaki belt drive.I've tried Gator blades on this mower with limited success.It tended to leave some "stringers" with the Gators.The 12.5 Kaw doesn't have an oil filter because of the frame being too close to the filter mount when used on the 37".I've found it to do fine when mulching dry grass as most mulching mowers will.As far as discharging and bagging I've found that the Gator blades don't generate enough air flow to be adequate.I just use the stock blades all season.I haven't tried double blades on this mower due to the low horsepower.By the way I use a single wheel Velke behind this mower.Hope this helps,Richard:)

Shady Brook
09-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks alot Richard, that was very helpful. I used it a bit today, and it cut very well, and left nice stripes. I will probably try to leave it on the trailer when wet from what I have heard.

Thanks again
Jay

CS Lawns
09-20-2002, 11:21 AM
My unit has an oil filter (F.Y.I.), I use mine with wet grass and does fine used it yesterday as a matter of fact. I helped a buddy who used an Exmark Metro and his side discharge left a bigger mess than mine, he went over his section twice. I use the stock blades also yr around (keep em sharp). I mulch 90% of the time spring and fall, anywhere from 4" down to 3.5" it works good. Only discharge when the grass is tall etc. Yes it does do chop up the leaves pretty good. Hope this helps.

YLC-1- Where did you get the Velke? Dealer told me the 12.5 Kaw would not handle pulling a rider??

TurfGuyTX
09-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by CS Lawns

YLC-1- Where did you get the Velke? Dealer told me the 12.5 Kaw would not handle pulling a rider??

We have one with a velke, pulls with no problem. I think you'll like the T-bar more with a little more time. Good luck.