PDA

View Full Version : Rolling tines aerator w/worn down tines fatter 1" plugs...?

Exact Rototilling
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Rolling tines aerator with worn down tines....tighter fore and aft pattern fatter plug....?

.....yes there is a craigslist lowballer in my area running a a Ryan Lawnaire IV with worn down tines claiming 1" plugs....? The tines must be very worn down to deliver a 1" plug....will this type of unit even work correctly with this much wear? I have never run that specific machine so are there any functional issues of this working correctly?

Jason Rose
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
haha, that's funny stuff. And no, the tines don't work properly once the taper at the end has worn off. I know from experience. Once the taper is gone the 'plug' it punches is as big around as the cylinder it needs to travel thru to be ejected, so they just get stuck. then all you are doing is punching holes.

I'm also pretty sure there's no part on those spoons that's 1" in diameter. Plus if they are worn down you aren't getting as deep of a hole.

Wonder if he's in the market for more USED worn-out spoons?

avguy
02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Punching holes is about right........

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/avguywife/100_2953.jpg

Exact Rototilling
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info. At the rates he's charging not sure if he could afford the worn out tines.
Posted via Mobile Device

naughty62
03-30-2011, 06:21 AM
We have a old style ryan four with a 3.5 briggs.It is slower than a doped turtle but pulls excellent plugs with its worn downs spoons .very reliable but slow .demo it before you pass it by .

Exact Rototilling
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
We have a old style ryan four with a 3.5 briggs.It is slower than a doped turtle but pulls excellent plugs with its worn downs spoons .very reliable but slow .demo it before you pass it by .
Can you post pics of how worn down and measure how this alters tine spacing?
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
03-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Can you post pics of how worn down and measure how this alters tine spacing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Worn out tines like the ones in the middle (worn out) and on right(Nearly worn out) above will not change the spacing but will really limit the depth. Also as said they will pull ugly cores short and fat if they get cores at all. Best to replace with new do not try and sharpen. You can order on line at Turfco.com go to parts.