PDA

View Full Version : increased efficiency for grandstand over w/b

alexschultz1
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
does anyone have a good idea at how much more efficient a stander is over a walkbehind. it seems like the extra $3000 will pay itself off quickly with the extra work it would be able to handle. and the wear and tear on my body wouldnt be nearly as bad

Schuley
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=alexschultz1;3915997]does anyone have a good idea at how much more efficient a stander is over a walkbehind. it seems like the extra $3000 will pay itself off quickly with the extra work it would be able to handle. and the wear and tear on my body wouldnt be nearly as bad[/QUOTE

I bought a 52" gandstand, and the amount of time I saved was huge. I stopped using my 48" walkbehind all together. I know the deck is a bit larger, but not enough to notice a HUGE difference. I ended up selling the walk behind. On my .25-.3 acre resi lots, I would be done 3-5 minutes faster. Do the math. The only thing is that the 36" standers are pretty pricey, and heavy due to you being on the machine too. THe wheeles are narrower so I noticed a bit more ruts in the ground. I also wasn't as tired at the end of the day! They are a lot more manuverable, faster, than a walk behind, in my opinion. I wasn't one of the hardcore walking guys, I think walk beindes, especially with the velke, are just kind of akward to operate.

Southern Pride
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=alexschultz1;3915997]I think walk beindes, especially with the velke, are just kind of akward to operate.

Darn right they are. Last year was my first season, so I bought a 36" exmark walk behind. I love that mower to death, it's been great. My main problem is I do exceptional quality work, but sometimes I cannot get the straight lines like I want unless I'm working in somewhat wide-open yard. Any small yards, manueverability goes right out the window and you end up cutting in a random order, even with my 2 wheel sulky.. I'm 100% the stander concept. Hopefully I can replace my wb with a 36" stander and then get a 48" navigator. That would be the ideal setup. Definitely go with the stander. Just go demo a 36" walkbehind w/ sulky & then a stander.