PDA

View Full Version : Some people just don't get it.

Agape
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I had a guy who was a customer for a month and a half, and then went with a hack who made a bunch of promises. Including that in the winter, he would only charge for individual weeks serviced. so this guy went with him and e-mailed me back after a couple months saying that he always liked the job I did, and that the new guy's work was "spotty at best" and he wanted me back, but at crappy guy's rate and promise!
( what ever!, Go piss in the wind...) I was polite and explained how ridiculous it was to expect my excellent quality, at the (scrubs) prices.
He still didn't get it.

During the conversation I said; "Dean, I'm going to get you a Unicorn..." he said "what?". I replied; " See how easy that was to promise?, But the fact is...I have absolutely no way I can supply you with a Unicorn. I want to give you a unicorn, but my experience says that I won't be able to keep that promise, so I don't just throw that out there. I know what I need to charge in order to give you the quality, services, and results you are expecting."

He still insisted that that was the deal he wanted, so we went our seperate ways.
Jeez, how clueless. and because of some newbie, this guy expects that to be the same price with all LCO's from now on.

Agape
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I got a call from a lady the other day wanting an estimate for her aging mothers property, ( Never a good sign.) she talked about how unreliable the yard guy was and that she thought he was taking advantage of her mom because; "This guy was wanting to charge $25/ hour JUST for raking leaves!!"
I said; "Well that's a good price, but at that price I guarantee he doesn't have insurance, workers comp, and has checks written out to his name to avoid taxes". She obviously didn't expect that answer, and I had to explain how the planet works and how much employees cost etc.... and she said; "Well if you have more people, it takes less time/hours right?!"...,So I had to explain what a man hour was and why she wouldn't pay less for more people.....
She said she would have her mom call me, and go figure....I've yet to recieve a call LOL!

Think Green
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Got a call today for the second year in a row from a foreign owned Church's Chicken franchise. As usual there is paper, glass, metal, ruts, tall dead grass and leaves all over the place. The manager says-"He needs it done pretty fast--big dogs coming to look over property!" 8 cu.yds. red cypress mulch. scalping dormant grasses back, beds weeded that are full of our wonderful bermuda grass-still dormant. Needs herbicides and tilling to get out the stolons and rhizomes, broadleaf weeds to remove.
He wants it done for 10.00 an hour. Said-The last employee that did it quit before it was finished.?? He pays his employees to do the work at their minimum wage--Why should I be any different!! I said--Basic man hour is 45.00. Delivery charge on supplies. Fuel surcharge.
Sometimes it is futile to explain the process of a man hour for crew work to individuals that are prone to McDonald's and Burger King-Doing it your way mathematics.
And the problem really became ugly when I mentioned all supplies used and labor is taxable to commercials. He said--"What Tax?"
That is why it wasn't done last year--the year before that and the year before that!

My CPA told me that they fired the Company's management and gave them a week to collect their tax preparations. They didn't want to pay for their services either.

A total waste of a hours time!!

Why did we go back again?? Hoped it would be different owners this time--Wrong!

TNGrassCutter
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I met a lady who has apartments here to give a price for weekly mowing. As we are walking over the property she starts telling me how the guy last year did it for 25 per cut and the most she ever paid was 35 per cut. She then asked if I could do it for that and I politely said no mam my price is 60 per cut. I told her with taxes insurance fuel etc that I would have to charge more than the others. She then said oh I don't think the guy last year had all that. I really wanted to say that's why you are looking for someone else to do it because 1 he got caught 2 he realizted he wasn't making any money at that price or 3 hes not even doing it anymore. So I thanked her for hee time and left. Also explained to her that if an unlicensed uninsured guy throws a rock through a window or injures someone they are going to look for someone to take the blame.
Posted via Mobile Device