PDA

View Full Version : Whoopsy Daisy!

Dennis E.
09-14-2002, 04:25 PM
We were doing our clinics this A.M.
There is a Super 8 motel across the street. Lots of traffic.Dangerous working next to the road. Heads up all the time when working at this location.
Guy from a LS is mowing across the street going with traffic mowing along the ditch. Nice Chopper. He gets down close to the corner near an intersection and the ground goes out from underneath his DC. Buries it. Instead of leaving it and going to get help he does WOT on the mower and REALLY buries it.
My son yelled from across the street to see if he wanted some help. By this time a passer-by stopped that was driving a F-350 to try and help.
He asked if we had any rope.
I got my nylon tow rope from the truck. We had to stop traffic to be able to position the guy's F-350 to pull the chopper out. What a friggin mess. Took about 5 minutes and he was on his way mowing again.
I thought he had put himself in an extremely dangerous situation by trying to mow an area without "checking it out" first.
Standing water in the ditch just a few feet from 40 mph. traffic and trying to squeeze a 60" DC thru this area.
Too much for my nerves.
What a day!

thfireman
09-14-2002, 09:22 PM
I saw a guy near a house I was working one day mow from the house to the street and used the street to turn around. He did this for the whole yard. About 4-5 times he had cars slamming on brakes to miss him. He just acted like he didnt give a darn if he was hit. I guess he thought he had the right of way and everyone else had better stop. Dumb Arse.:confused:

gravedigger5
09-14-2002, 11:44 PM
I saw a guy near a house I was working one day mow from the house to the street and used the street to turn around. He did this for the whole yard. About 4-5 times he had cars slamming on brakes to miss him. He just acted like he didnt give a darn if he was hit. I guess he thought he had the right of way and everyone else had better stop. Dumb Arse. That wasn't me was it??? I mow a big lot in a large lake subdvision and sometimes use the street to turn around in to get my stripes to come out alittle better. But it is a back street and I usually only see 1 or 2 cars go by the whole time mowing (I do blow all the grass clippings off the road when done).:) Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:D

thfireman
09-15-2002, 09:20 AM
I use the street sometimes too, but this guy was just flying out in traffic without looking or careing. This was a busy main road with steady traffic.

Toatlandscape
09-15-2002, 09:27 AM
Some people just don't know their limitations. Maybe he was flashing back to Nam thought "Chopper" was Heliocopter:D

awm
09-15-2002, 09:30 AM
well then he will probably reap the benefits of that kinda doing.bet he wasnt very old huh. u dont usually get old if u that stupid. been there ,done that. survived by the grace o god ,an my mammas prayers.:)

syncom2
09-15-2002, 11:35 AM
I live on a back country road that sees as car or two every fifteen minutes or so. Three or four years ago, my neighbor had just finished mowing the ditch on the opposite side of his property, turned into the road to head back over to his side and was broad sided. Unfortunately he became a fatality a few days later, as a blood clot broke free and ended his life. Not a time do I mow my lawn in this one particular pattern… and do my turning in the roadway, that I fail to think about what statistically became of my neighbor. Yes, death is a reality guys. Please, don't take shortcuts nor unnecessary chances. Don't cheat ourselves… don't cheat our spouses and children… don't cheat our friends. Whether we have just graduated from high school or whether we've just turned 70, all that we are made of and holds us together is some extremely fragile materials. We are all somebody's "neighbor" you know. Not a one of us fails to qualify as "the other guy…" What you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to someone else. But what you are will be yours forever.

Dennis E.
09-15-2002, 01:45 PM
This "kid"(I'd say mid 20's) running this DC was just doing his job. But he assumed he could fit the mower thru an extremely narrow area filled with tall grass,water which he did not see,and right next to a busy street with 40 mph traffic. Anything could have happened.
One quick jerk on the sticks after getting into the mud and he could have ended up in front of a passing car.

On a similar note,some years back in the town I lived in nearby, there was an equipment dealer on the main highway. One of the employees was running a rider out to the front near the street for display. As he got close the throttle stuck at WOT. He panicked and the mower jumped out into the street. Right in front of a passing tanker truck doing 50. Killed instantly.

Point is...you have to be your toes. Always. Think ahead before you act. This IS a dangerous biz.