PDA

View Full Version : Anyone starting weekly mowing yet?

williams lcm
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Most of the temps in the mid 8o's. Mowed my grass last week and it could use a mowing again. Anyone starting early this year? I want to hold out until the 1st of April but It may not happen. Shrubs are also growing quickly. It is going to be a hot spring.

eco.lawns
02-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I wish we were here in ohio but were still a few weeks out. How long is your mowing season on average? we get 28 weeks on a good year here

williams lcm
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
It goes from April to October usually. Every week of mowing. Then every other week of mowing Nov to March. Same price monthly year round.

Florida Gardener
02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
hell no! the earliest i will start is mid april. They are not going to get 3-4 more cuts. Without the rainfall, it should get you to every 2 weeks unless you are putting down a ton of N. That is why I use 9-0-20 in the spring, I don't need a ton of growth right now.

I can see you central florida guys possibly starting sooner as you prob didn't do many cuts this winter, but down here I won't.

Plantculture
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
hell no! the earliest i will start is mid april. They are not going to get 3-4 more cuts. Without the rainfall, it should get you to every 2 weeks unless you are putting down a ton of N. That is why I use 9-0-20 in the spring, I don't need a ton of growth right now.

I can see you central florida guys possibly starting sooner as you prob didn't do many cuts this winter, but down here I won't.

Diamond
Whats your rate of N/1000 sq ft? Thats the important number.

Patriot Services
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Nope, still EOW right now. Lawns have all greened back up though. Finishing cutting back all the frost damage this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I wonder if i could mow through 20 inches of snow? hhmmm hahah

Patriot Services
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Just mix up a bp full of lime jello if you miss the green.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I wish we were here in ohio but were still a few weeks out. How long is your mowing season on average? we get 28 weeks on a good year here

ECO

Careful what you wish for, you may get it. Yes we get paid year round and do 36 to 42 cuts a year weather pending. BUT we also have more Lawn boys per capita than you Yankees do. Supply out weights demand so that our price base isn't all that high. a $ 10 cut is still possible here in Florida in fact it is more common than you think.

Patriot Services
03-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Yep, every red light in Tampa has an SUV or car pulling a garden trailer with the family MTD tractor on it. Hand written rogue signs "any lawn 10.00" on every median.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Yep, every red light in Tampa has an SUV or car pulling a garden trailer with the family MTD tractor on it. Hand written rogue signs "any lawn 10.00" on every median.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

It is not a good time to try and build a business here in Florida. Particularly the Lawn mowing business. Up scale customer who want good service and are willing to pay already have Juan and Carlo doing a great job for the last 15 years and will tell their new neighbors. Tire Kicker will drop a service provider for $ 0.50 a month. My area has 15% unemployment.

This year I networked with a LCO for some joint Advertisement. We took a Whole Page both Sides. Bottom line is so far we have only gotten Tire Kicker call which are a PITA.

SunState Lawn Care inc
03-01-2011, 02:04 PM
It goes from April to October usually. Every week of mowing. Then every other week of mowing Nov to March. Same price monthly year round.

We go weekly April thru Sept here and 2x per the rest of the months and 1x per on some warehouses. Same price per month on them all year round.

Greg78
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I've been on 10 day schedule for the last month or so. Will be going to weekly starting next week. Just did a couple this morning that were starting to get out of hand on the 10 day rotation.

Keith
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I pretty much "visit" most lawns every 7-10 days right now, but only two or three see the mower every week. Either to mulch some leaves or one that has a dense stand of rye. If history is an indicator, I will probably be cutting half of them weekly by the 10th of April, and the rest weekly by May 1st.

Florida Gardener
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I only have 2 properties that are weekly year round. Right now I am going to the rest EOW. I spray, trim, and cut on the service week and take the following week off. There really is no need to go weekly if you stay on top of this until about mid April. Now, if were are talking nice estate homes, sure, I will go every week, but they will pay for it.

Keith
03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm talking nice homes and/or customers that pay very well. I like to be seen :) I'd rather have a customer say, jokingly, "what are you doing here? There's nothing to do." Rather than knowing a tree limb or pile of leaves had been sitting near the front door for nearly two weeks.

Florida Gardener
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
True, but the key is they have to be paying for the extra visit. Most of my customers are very chill and aren't nit-picky. Now like I said once I start picking up some estate homes, I will show my ass every week year round amd possibly 2x week if they have Bermuda/paspalum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I am back at it for weekly service. The growth is there in most of the lawns, some of the shrubs....but most importantly I am there making sure things are in order before juan and paco pass out there flyers and the home owners looks around and sees something out of place and figures I am not worth what they are paying me.
The way I figure it, December rocked us early this year and I got a lot of extra time off because of it, I got a good solid account base built up, and I am not risking losing that client base to juan and paco or even Tommy who just got the home depot special.

Florida Gardener
03-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Mike I can understand for you C Fl guys as you prob didnt cut all dec and prob all jan. I was still EOW all of jan/feb and still every 3rd week in dec. Some of my yards have decent growth, but I will not do them weekly right now as they aren't paying for that. They def. don't look out of whack, but the growth is decent.

Landscape Poet
03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
. They def. don't look out of whack, but the growth is decent.

This is the key from keeping juan and paco from getting them:):)

Florida Gardener
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Juan and Paco ain't doing nuthin. Let me clarify. When u get there the 2nd week to cut, it needs to be cut. After 1 week, it still doesn't need cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Diamond
Whats your rate of N/1000 sq ft? Thats the important number.

Now that will depend if your putting down quick or slow release product also.

tallrick
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Right now and till the rainy season starts is it stupid to even start a lawnmower, just to blow dust around. Nothing is growing, just dying. I do mow my rental properties every other week because they are all irrigated. However, a friend who is also an investor has the Juan and Paco crew to do his at 15.00 a yard. Funny thing though, since he has them working he has been losing air conditioners and aluminum awnings on the vacant properties. Even copper pipe has been ripped out. Then again he has a 50% vacancy rate and I have all my homes filled right now. You would be amazed how desperate people in the Miami area are. I see about 5 scrap collectors an hour driving around with pickups piled with junk picked up, or stolen items to scrap.

williams lcm
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I am starting to cut the yards at 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches instead of the 4 inch for Augustine. Just unitl I get back to weekly mowing then back to 4 inches. When I cut a 4 inches the weeds look like they have not been touched. Have a few customers asking where I have been. I told them I am still on eow until April. Most home owners are cutting their lawns weekly and make the bi-weeklys stand out much more.