PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Kombi units?

Baytownlawncare
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Thinking of picking up two Stihl Kombi KM 110 units. One straight shaft trimmer head and another edger head. I plan on leaving the heads on the units most of the time. My thinking is, if I want to add the saw head or shrub trimming head later I can. If one unit goes down, I can just swap attachments until I get it fixed. So is my thinking good and is this unit a good choice?

TuffWork
02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Looked at the system myself. Seemed too heavy to me, and since most your problems with small tools like that are motors then it really doesn't help much. I do however use the universal attachment system for my other stuff. Craftsman heads with usually ryobi attachments. I could break my pole saw 6 times (twice on each end) before I'd ever pay the cost of a stihl. (I'm not knocking stihl, that's what I use for everything else)

mowerbrad
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I've owned a stihl KM110R for a couple years now. I have the straigh shaft trimmer and edger, articulating hedge trimmer and pole saw attachment. I love the kombi system. It is a very well built unit. I love the ease of switching out attachments. The KM110R is a powerful unit that can run all of my attachments very well.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Good unit have got one myself. And you get what you pay for.

watsmi57
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
i have been leaning towards these too. I currently use the same system but with cub cadet trimmers. one is an edger full time and one is a trimmer full time. each backs up the other. the nice thing about the stihl kombi's i think is the attachments are much better quality. the homeowner grade add ons are mostly junk once you get outside the trimmers and edgers.

the only problem is i can buy 4 cub cadet trimmers (each head comes with a trimmer attachment) for the price of 2 stihl 110 kombi's- power head only

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
One reason i got it is because all my units, weedeaters pole saw and kombi take the same air filter. And all the power heads will swap from one to the other.

BINKY1902
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I have the 110-Kombi with the straight trimmer, and curved edger. It's been real reliable, but the vibration is a little more than what I like. All around a good buy, I use it as my main trimmer/edger. I plan to buy a 90 powerhead here in a couple of weeks.

lawnkingforever
02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Looked at the system myself. Seemed too heavy to me, and since most your problems with small tools like that are motors then it really doesn't help much. I do however use the universal attachment system for my other stuff. Craftsman heads with usually ryobi attachments. I could break my pole saw 6 times (twice on each end) before I'd ever pay the cost of a stihl. (I'm not knocking stihl, that's what I use for everything else)

I do the same thing. I have a dedicated Echo trimmer and stick edger that I use for my business. For my own personal use or for an occaisional job, I have a cheapo Troybuilt power head, with the rototiller, brushcutter, hedgetrimmer and polesaw attachments. These attachments see very little commercial use. Would not be worth the cost to buy the Stihl or Echo. If the Troybuilt breaks down, I will just toss it out and buy another one for $130. With that being said, if these attachments were used more frequently, I would buy the Echo or Stihl units.

integrityman
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I have an extra edger attachment for the combi system Id be happy to sell you. Works fine and hardly used.

a84spencer
02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I have the 130r with the pole saw, its very powerfull and is very heavy. I did buy it to be a back up trimmer and edger. But I would hate to use this thing full time as a trimmer because of the weight!!! I'll stick with my shindaiwa 261 as my trimmer.

Baytownlawncare
03-01-2011, 02:24 AM
I have an extra edger attachment for the combi system Id be happy to sell you. Works fine and hardly used.

Is it curved or straight