PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Ball Mount

Dan1944
09-14-2002, 06:58 PM
I am going to install an adjustable receiver ball mount to get my new trailer lower in the back, to avoid dragging my Z over the tailgate hump. Well the ball mount wont budge in the reciever, I was able to get the pin out , I have sprayed some rust deslover into every nook and cranny and will let it sit over night. Does any one have any suggestions?. I know this may not be the right forum but there is hardly any activity in the other forums.

No I will not chain it to my house or new chain link fence post and pull.

Thanks

Dan the lawn care man:blob2:

Imow4u2
09-14-2002, 07:12 PM
I'd try smacking it side to side or straight in with a BFH, could also try a air chisel with a blunt punch end a "rattle" on it a while,block the front wheels of your truck and place a floor jack under it and jack until your back tires are off the ground the smack some more with the BFH.this should reverse the downward force that has been on it all the while from the trailer. If none of these work depending on what model truck you have you could try heating the outer tube with a oxy acetelyne torch watch that wiring and possible fuel tank close by. One other thing you could back up a buddy's truck and rig a porta-power and jack it out.:confused:

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Can you access it from the back? If so drive it out from the back side.

Also you could chain up to a big tree and try to pull it out.

Heat it up with a oxy-acetaline torche.

firefighter
09-14-2002, 07:19 PM
I would try heating the outside with torches and then taking a hammer and tapping around the out side.

That should take care of it. :blob2:

Barker's Lawn Care
09-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Ditto-Imow4u2

Hook it up to another reciever(not ne1's bumper obviously)and pull away.

The Mowerdude
09-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Yup, I'm with Imow4u2. He's the man!!

If his solutions don't get it, it aint gonna be got.

Floridalandcare
09-14-2002, 08:32 PM
All of the about ,I had the same problem and hooked a chain to it and to a tree , 2 jerks and it came right . Youd be suprised at how stuck they can get .I had tried hooking it to the trailor with the pin out and tahing off but the trailor came with me ,Good luck

Ryan Lightning
09-14-2002, 08:45 PM
My ball hitch is a little loose and can move around, does anyone see this becoming a problem?
And yes a BFH should take care of any thing! ;) I own the BFH1000 model.

The Mowerdude
09-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
My ball hitch is a little loose and can move around, does anyone see this becoming a problem?
And yes a BFH should take care of any thing! ;) I own the BFH1000 model.

Your hitch being a little loose is normal. Only irritating.

I also have the BFH1000. One day I dropped it on my BFToe. Ouch. :D :D

bob
09-14-2002, 09:38 PM
Like the others said, heat & hammer!

walker-talker
09-14-2002, 09:52 PM
BFH model 1000......haha. It took me a minute to figure this one out...almost posted a question about it....haha. Keep 'em coming...good stuff men.

MATT

Jimbo
09-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Either drive it out from the back BFH or hook it to a tree. I dont see why you dont hook it to a tree; its probably thje only thing that is going to get it out.

Jim

Shady Brook
09-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Could use a comealong if you don't want to yank with the truck attached to a tree. I learned that it is a good idea to lube up that slide bar with grease before poping her in. Never had any problems with em sticking since greasing them. The Big Hammer has worked for me in the past.

Jay

MOOSE
09-15-2002, 04:07 PM
I had the same problem. Hit it with a sledge hammer a few times and loosen it up. I tried spraying it too, it helped some.
WHACK IT GOOD. It will come out eventually.

After u get ti out put grease on it and remove it every couple weeks and put new grease on. Do that a few times and problem solved.

Roger
09-15-2002, 04:47 PM
About one year ago I had the same problem. I have two trailers, one with 1 7/8" ball, the other with 2" ball. I bought a second receiver, intending to change receiver, rather than the ball.
I quickly discovered the receiver was rusted into the sleeve. I tried everything I know, excluding heat (no source of torch). Hammering, sledge hammer, winch to a tree, etc. Nothing!

I finally concluded I could only change the ball. Neither trailer has a bolted hitch, both are welded -- no chance to change the trailer hitch. I concluded I would have to change the ball each time I wished to change trailers.

The next problem was getting the ball loose!! Yes, that was another issue that consumed much time. Finally a chisel to split the nut was the only answer. Now I carry a large box end wrench ($29 itself!) and the extra ball. Not good, but the only solution for me.

Alan
09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
No matter what you try it's apt to be a bear of a job to get that spud out. The last one I had freeze up finally responded to some severe tension on the hitch and liberal use of the aforementioned BFH to get it out. I was able to tie it to my vise post in the shop with a 2 ton come along and put on all the pull I could manage, then smacked it left right and senseless until I got some movement out of it.

I recently dealt with a hitch that was off the vehicle and had a stuck spud. That one had a closed receiver so I ended up cutting the back of the receiver off, then welding on some falsework to allow me to use a 12 ton jack against the spud. Still no go so I applied liberal BTUs with a torcha nd finally got it to crack loose. Even then I had to keep the receiver hot until I got the spud pushed all the way out, if it was allowed to cool it would grab the spud again.

I like to have mine rattle a bit, both in the receiver and on the pin so they keep themselves freed up. If they don't rattle they will rust up, at least up here in snow country. I build most of my own hitches and the tolerance available with common materials makes for 1/8" clearance between the receiver and spud so they tend to rattle a bunch and stay free.

Dan1944
09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks to all who offered help on my frozen ball mount. Today it finaly came out. I worked on it about 10 minutes a day, beating on it with a BFH then sprayed some more rust buster in it. Today I had a freind hook up a 5000lb fork lift to it with a chain, a few blows with the BFH # 1000 tool and it came out.

I also detremined that the rear of my truck was lower by 2 1/2- 3 " when I hooked up the trailer to it, that wasn't helping the tail gate angle at all. I corrected that problem by installing a set of Monroe load leveler coil spring shocks yesterday. Now with my new higher ball mount and less rear end sagging my Z loads and unloads with no scrapping and with a better riding rig.

Dan the lawn care man:blush:

Turfdude
09-23-2002, 11:01 PM
If it ain't tight ... it ain't right.

Torch & hammer after letting rust spray sit overnight. Coud also try a come-a-long.

Bob

lawnagent
12-05-2002, 02:17 AM
I guess I have had the same problem, just a terminology difference. When I went to disconnect my trailer from the truck it would not come loose. I took a 7 foot steel rod that was real narrow on one end. I pried it between the bumper and the receiver and finally got it to pop loose. This is the 3rd receiver to do this to me in 2 years. They wont go back on the ball either. At least 2 of them didnt. I had to replace them. The bottom line is when I remove my safety pin and slide my receiver latch it will not move the lip that locks onto the ball. The latch moves freely, maybe to freely but it doesnt work anything inside the receiver. I took both receivers apart and all the pieces were intact. Why does yhis keep happening to me? Im at my wits end here and need advise. I am tired of having to cut receivers of with a cutting torch and welding on new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

deason
12-05-2002, 02:22 AM
Acetylene torch, Rosebud, & Hammer. it wont be stubborn long. :D

Shady Brook
12-05-2002, 02:48 AM
I hope this does not sound insulting or anything, I am not exactly sure of your problem... Anyway, my trailer will not pop off my ball unless... I back her up and hit the brakes, sliding the trailer back off the ball and freeing it to ride over the ball smoothly... this is on level ground. If I have an angle where my trailer is higher then my truck, I chaulk the wheels of the trailer, and pull forward, and the trailer will release from the ball. I think in part this is due to the height of my truck in relation to the trailer, but maybe the way my trailer coupler is designed. Not sure if this is an issue with you, but my trailer will give me fits if I do not get the coupler slid back far enough to touch the front of the ball.

Hope that helps.

Jay

lawncare3
12-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Next time use a condom over the mount before u put it on.:D :laugh: :laugh: