PDA

View Full Version : Small Mobile Air Compressor

Mike's Lawn Care
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to find a small mobile air compressor. Currently I have been using a 20 gallon air tank (portable). The problem that I run into is that the tank is always empty (at the most inconvenient time) and then we have to go to the tire shop and waste time and money. So I was wondering what u guys use. My thought is to try and get something that is small and fuel operated. I have used the 12 volt ones and I'm not fond of them.

mow4cash
02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Look at the 1 gal senco compressor...nice and compact...Only thing is u need a generator or power inverter. Im looking my self for a nice setup in the enclosed trailer. You can get a 4gal gas compressor but they are pricey. And i feel a wheelbarrow takes up to much space.

seabee1
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
norther tool has a nice 20 gal tank honda engine Mobile unit $899.99 free freight
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377313_200377313?cm_ven=natural&cm_cat=netconcepts&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=small%2520gas%2520operated%2520compressor

mow4cash
03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
A little pricey but not bad...It would be nice to have since you can use air tools with it and its still somewhat compact.

Knight511
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Just for tires and such? Why not look to the compressors off-roaders use to air their tires back up for the drive home... $60-100 and do a good job.

mowerbrad
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I used to have a air compressor mounted on my old truck. It was a couple gallons and was tied into my truck's electrical system, I could turn it on and off too if I wanted. It was great for filling up tires. It was the same compressor that the off road guys use, nice unit and worked great.

Chop Stuff Up
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I asked a similar question a while back and the suggestion I got was to use a gas powered compressor. Only problem is I use a van and didn't want to deal with exhaust fumes, so here's what I ended up using. It's a 2hp 8 gallon compressor off of an inverter. I run air tools off of it without any issues. I also have a 5 gallon aux. tank for my air horn :cool2: . As you can see I mounted 12v and 120v receptacles at the side and rear of the van as well, and it's all tied in.

mow4cash
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice Inverter. When there that size do you need big batteries and big wires?

Chop Stuff Up
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
It's running off of 2 deep cycle batteries and 0 gauge wire. I do mobile fleet maintenance and marine repair on the side. I run an impact gun and an oil extractor off of it without any issues.

Mike's Lawn Care
03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Man that is great I will keep that is mind..... However for my set up it is a little bigger than I want. My use the air compressor will be only for airing up tires and such.. But for bigger jobs that system is GREAT.... Thanks For The Input...

Mike's Lawn Care
03-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I asked a similar question a while back and the suggestion I got was to use a gas powered compressor. Only problem is I use a van and didn't want to deal with exhaust fumes, so here's what I ended up using. It's a 2hp 8 gallon compressor off of an inverter. I run air tools off of it without any issues. I also have a 5 gallon aux. tank for my air horn :cool2: . As you can see I mounted 12v and 120v receptacles at the side and rear of the van as well, and it's all tied in.Hey that looks great. On the inverter can you explain to me about it and way such a big one, compared to a wal-mart $20 small one that is about 8inx8in compared to your 2ftx3ft converter. Thanks For The Input

Mike's Lawn Care
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Just for tires and such? Why not look to the compressors off-roaders use to air their tires back up for the drive home... $60-100 and do a good job.Yes just for tires. All my air tools are 18v Dewart Impact Drives....

Chop Stuff Up
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey that looks great. On the inverter can you explain to me about it and way such a big one, compared to a wal-mart $20 small one that is about 8inx8in compared to your 2ftx3ft converter. Thanks For The Input

Guessing it's about 6 inches deep and 1.5 feet wide. I just happened to get a good deal at an auction and I liked the fact that it had a branch output circuit to run the external outlets. No way a $20 inverter will run a compressor even half this size, they draw a lot of power.

Mike's Lawn Care
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Guessing it's about 6 inches deep and 1.5 feet wide. I just happened to get a good deal at an auction and I liked the fact that it had a branch output circuit to run the external outlets. No way a $20 inverter will run a compressor even half this size, they draw a lot of power.Thanks for the info. I thought that was the issue with the power draw but wasn't sure.

CLS LLC
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
This is what I plan on installing in my enclosed trailer. This is their ultra duty kit. They have other ones that are more economical too.

http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Ultra-Duty-Onboard-System/dp/B001L7UX0S/ref=sr_1_56?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1299295437&sr=1-56

mule585
03-06-2011, 01:36 AM
I have a 2gal Campbell hausfeld that I run off a 400w inverter plugged in to the cigarette plug of my truck the compressor sits on the back seat most of the time but also fits in my tool box ill post pics later in the morning cuz the power went out bout an hr ago n I'm on my phone n can't figure out how to post them from it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
03-07-2011, 02:34 AM
around here guys mount two 5 gallon tanks to their trailer look at the gauges before you leave in the morning if they need filling fill them up

another thing... a lot of gas stations around here have free air so fill up gas tanks then fill up air tanks all in one stop

mule585
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
heres the pics of my compressor. i got it at lowes but i know tractor supply has them and they are not very expensive

mow4cash
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
heres the pics of my compressor. i got it at lowes but i know tractor supply has them and they are not very expensive

That's great the little 400 will run it. What hp is the compressor?

Mike's Lawn Care
03-16-2011, 09:33 AM
heres the pics of my compressor. i got it at lowes but i know tractor supply has them and they are not very expensiveMan that look great. I like how it snaps in to the floor of your truck. I have a Wal-Mart cheep one and it does not snap down and it is always moving.

mule585
03-17-2011, 05:44 AM
I love this little setup. Takes a bit to fill a full-size tire but is very handy. The inverter is awesome to it has 2 plugs and a usb port on the back it has posts to be able to hook it straight to the battery for better power
Posted via Mobile Device