PDA

View Full Version : Echo bed edger anyone used it?

CJCuttingEdge
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone used the echo flower bed redefiner/edger? thoughts and opinions please

turbo5560
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
i have used it and loved it! the problem is for $600 it's a little pricing to only use it for that. I wish you could also put a trimmer or an edger attachment on it, but the dealer didn't recommend it. It's great for beds that you reshape every year, not for much more than that.

seabee24
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
The bad. It can't do wet conditions or wet soils. It can't do super hard ground ( not that I know of any edger that can). , it only cuts 3 inches or so. It does better at moving old much than it does soil. It's not gods gift to edging. It spits rocks unless you add some rubber

The good. It's cheap compared to the bigger brothers. It's semi fast compared to using a shovel. It cuts decent lines, it grinds up the debris nicely.

Here's the bottom line, if your an edging fanatic and have to have your edges be 6 inches deep, than this machine is not for you. But if you do any of these;

1. Have commercial accounts that has a spring edging, or a monthly/bi monthly bed egging ...this machine is good enough to do the job and satisfy your contract requirement in 95% of cases.

2. Have bids for mulch jobs that have tight numbers, where working in an actual deep edging is just not economically feasible....this machine is quick enough and cheap enough to give an edge. I do charge extra for edging, but if I'm on a job that I can't..I pull this machine out and at least spend 5 mins and the property looks way way better. Which makes me look good

3. Do repedative edging like every month or every 2 months.

4. Have residential accounts that want clean edges but really are not going to care if they have a 3 inch edge or a 4 inch.

5. Even if you need a 4-5 inch edge, it's good enough to start the job and makes shoveling that much quicker

6. It's easy to stay on the same line. Too many other larger machines will wonder off course if you let them. The beds can become bigger over time. This machine will pretty much stay on the same line.

7.you can get really close to irritation heads.the brown machine, you would be guessing how close you are because of the large shield

Bommon line. I saves time and money, it's worth it's cost. I don't know if you could charge much for it's usage because IMPO I like deep edges and if someone is paying me for "edging" as an extra service, then we give them deep edging..... But I have a number of situations as posted above that we do use it. It's not a bed shaper, it's not a brown machine...get over that fact and realize that it's a tool that is smaller cheeper and easy to use...it's faster than the shovel
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
02-28-2011, 10:50 PM
The bad. It can't do wet conditions or wet soils. It can't do super hard ground ( not that I know of any edger that can). , it only cuts 3 inches or so. It does better at moving old much than it does soil. It's not gods gift to edging. It spits rocks unless you add some rubber

The good. It's cheap compared to the bigger brothers. It's semi fast compared to using a shovel. It cuts decent lines, it grinds up the debris nicely.

Here's the bottom line, if your an edging fanatic and have to have your edges be 6 inches deep, than this machine is not for you. But if you do any of these;

1. Have commercial accounts that has a spring edging, or a monthly/bi monthly bed egging ...this machine is good enough to do the job and satisfy your contract requirement in 95% of cases.

2. Have bids for mulch jobs that have tight numbers, where working in an actual deep edging is just not economically feasible....this machine is quick enough and cheap enough to give an edge. I do charge extra for edging, but if I'm on a job that I can't..I pull this machine out and at least spend 5 mins and the property looks way way better. Which makes me look good

4. Have residential accounts that want clean edges but really are not going to care if they have a 3 inch edge or a 4 inch.

5. Even if you need a 4-5 inch edge, it's good enough to start the job and makes shoveling that much quicker

6. It's easy to stay on the same line. Too many other larger machines will wonder off course if you let them. The beds can become bigger over time. This machine will pretty much stay on the same line.

7.you can get really close to irritation heads.the brown machine, you would be guessing how close you are because of the large shield

Bommon line. I saves time and money, it's worth it's cost. I don't know if you could charge much for it's usage because IMPO I like deep edges and if someone is paying me for "edging" as an extra service, then we give them deep edging..... But I have a number of situations as posted above that we do use it. It's not a bed shaper, it's not a brown machine...get over that fact and realize that it's a tool that is smaller cheeper and easy to use...it's faster than the shovel
Posted via Mobile Device

Very good review. :clapping:

vanncann
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Mine works great, but you better start working out before you use it. Does a good job for existing beds, but would not recommend for much more... Save the money!!!

ALC-GregH
03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I made one out of a stick edger shaft. I use it with my PAS265. Slightly under powered but gets the job done.

K/B
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
You can get different gearcases now to use it as either a trimmer or stick edger.
#9994423000 trimmer attachment
#9994423001 edger attachment

John1219
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
found a great place to find some edger blades that you guys should check out http://www.alamia.us/edger_blade_s/760.htm

Landscraper1
03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone used the echo flower bed redefiner/edger? thoughts and opinions please

I think they are great for redifining beds. Before they came out I was signed up to be the first in my area to demo it. After the 1st day, I called the dealer and told him that it wasn't going back. Last year I purchased a 2nd one. I am not a big fan of Echo itself but, this is a unique product.
Just make sure you have enough work to justify this purchase. Remember that all it does is re edge a bed, nothing else. By the way a new blade for it is $100.

Good luck

oldclawn
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
It may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it works very well when used for it's intended purposes in proper conditions. Now that we have used one for over a year I would not be without it--a good time saver and is very easy to use. I do not actually charge extra for redefining beds prior to mulching so this has helped me do this in a minimum amount of time and the clients bill shows "edging"--No Charge--thanks for the continued support and loyalty! Priceless!

grassman177
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
we were getting some mixed reviews on these and i thought i would revive this thread so i could get more reviews and experience from those who use one.

we were considering one since right now we dont do much landscape installs to really require a bed edger.

most places that need this have beena couple of years since one was in place and has been filled with mulch and has turned to dirt, but not very compact and semi easy to re edge by hand in most cases.

so......... would this be a great add on for the spruce up before mulching since we dont actaully charge for it separate or should we just get the nice little ez trencher?

guys, what is your call on those who have used it and what we are going to do with it>?

zak406
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I am also very interested! Any other reviews?

Grass Shark
03-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Very interested as well. anyone have one?

PerfectEarth
03-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I have one.... LawnKingForever's review is spot on.

I would stress the wet conditions issue- it's worthless in damp conditions. Mine saved me a TON of time last spring, but I was also lucky, as we were very, very dry for weeks and that was the time I was needing it the most. Great on established edges that need a new line and the mulch and soil thrown out and shredded but not usable for any new edge application. I still spade-edge a lot.

Schuley
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

That sums it up pretty well..... I've made some new bed edges with mine, but it was nice soil. Took some time, started at 1" or so and made a couple passes down to full depth. It has almost been an obsession of mine now to run the edger around mulch beds, I too don't usually charge unless its something more than just sprucing up the edges. Looks so much better... The wet stuff gums it up and causes the cutter to "stick". I seem to have to run it at full throttle, a little lacking on power in my opinion, but i'm used to running the tourqy stihl 4-mix's. I would recommend one....pays for itself in time saved over shoveling in no time....

Puddle of Oil
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
its crap just like everything else echo makes.

grassman177
03-12-2011, 11:07 PM
well glad you have your opinion, and thanks for sharing.

interesting that we have tons of echo stuff that works just fine and for many years without fail or issue. hmmm

fobaum
03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Everybody hates I don't get it mine have always been great can't kill'em.

I don't know why echo doesn't use a bigger power head on the bed definer ,like the new brush cutter engine 42+cc!!, probably cost too much money maybe , they should give the option at least though..looks like you would need a bigger engine for that kind of tool. You hear me echo??

indplstim
03-30-2011, 01:47 AM
i dont have too much trouble in wet/damp conditions, u just have to scrape the mud off the inside of the gaurd every so often as well as clean up the random clumps of dirt/mud left behind in the edge, my biggest beef is that it fills the 3inch groove in behing you as u go along, nothing a good leaf blower cant clean up tho, it was pretty funny when i threw muddy chunks of dirt all over the side of my white truck with it the other day, overall a huuuuuge time and money saver, Thumbs up