PDA

View Full Version : Mowing for town?

lawnpro724
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I was just wandering if anyone does mowing for the town you live in or surrounding towns? I see accepting bids in paper every spring for mowing city fire dept, town hall, parks and cemeteries in some of the smaller towns around here. Does anyone do this kind of mowing? Is it worth the headache? Some of the cemeteries in these towns are quite large 7-10 acres with wide open areas and lots of headstones to mow and trim around. Do towns pay a decent amount for this kind of work and the liability it brings?

Thanks

slawn
02-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I do the town mowing for one small town near me. I mow the park area and the highway median around the main intercession in town. their one of my best customers, always pay on time. Its more work then a residential, main issue is having to pick up trash before you mow. I also do five cemeteries but there not town cemeteries, there church cemeteries. Again, there more work but pay well. I prefer large properties, you can stay in one location and not have to load and move all day.

02-28-2011, 08:52 PM
you will need to be the lowest bidder, if it were me id want more than one year contract for some extra time without compatition if you get the bid.

D&K Lawns
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
8404, do you have any town accounts?

lawnpro724
02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I do the town mowing for one small town near me. I mow the park area and the highway median around the main intercession in town. their one of my best customers, always pay on time. Its more work then a residential, main issue is having to pick up trash before you mow. I also do five cemeteries but there not town cemeteries, there church cemeteries. Again, there more work but pay well. I prefer large properties, you can stay in one location and not have to load and move all day.

Just curious as to how much you get for the season if you don't mind telling.

lukemelo216
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
I do the mowing in my town. Just be careful because everyone will want an opinion on something. I had the town secretary call me 1 day and tell me it would be my last verbal warning before I was written up. I went into the town office and walked right into the village administrators office and said, IDK who the F that B**** thinks she is, but she is nothing more than a mother f****** secretary. If you have a problem with the way something is being done, or any other concerns, I want to hear directly from you or the public works crew leader.

That scared the crap outta him. Just dont take crap from them. And they will sometimes try to blam stuff on you. Another one I mowed for tried telling me that the same day my trimmer crew "barked" 15 trees on a median with the trimmers. I said no we didnt, and hee questioned me. I said look at the color of the wound, its dark grey (seasoned over time, exposed to the elements) compared to what it would look like if we did bark the trees, and I took the trimmer and just wrapped it all against the tree. That village admin was in shell shock. couldnt even speak, but I never had a problem after that incident

slawn
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Just curious as to how much you get for the season if you don't mind telling.

On the town job its $400.00 per cut. Just mowing and trimming. On average its takes about 7 to 8 man hours.

ALC-GregH
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
On the town job its $400.00 per cut. Just mowing and trimming. On average its takes about 7 to 8 man hours.

I can make that on a few residential's in a day.

D&K Lawns
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Where are you located in Mississippi?

lawnpro724
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Are you running a 2 man crew? 7-8 hrs comes out to around $25.00 pmh. My rate is set at $50 per man hour and 8 hrs on a two man crew would be $800.00. I don't think I would come in to low on price for a town if it had a decent size cemetery just think of all the liability you have. If you hit one or more head stones you would be in a world of trouble and what about damage to mowers? I would like to get a town contract but I'm not going to do it unless I can make enough to cover my a$$.

Mowingman
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I had several contracts for mowing various City properties in our town. Had them for 10 years, and the guy who bought my business still has most of them. I have done fire stations, parks, street medians, city landfill, city sewage plant, city-owned electric subatations, and lots more. you will have to have liability ins, workmans comp insurance, higher rate of auto liability on your auto policy, and probably post a performance bond.
bidding can be very competitive, and large nationwide companies often lowball to get their foot in the door, if your town is large enough.
however, payment is never a problem, work is steady and guaranteed for the contract beriod, and once in the door and familiar with the properties,, you can usually be the sucessful bidder for many years.

Tq23
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Reading is a skill, he said 7 to 8 man hours, that would put him also at $50 per hour.......

Lawnut101
03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Municipal jobs around here go for about $30-35/hr. Pretty cheap if you ask me. Then again, most of the mowing does.

lawnpro724
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Reading is a skill, he said 7 to 8 man hours, that would put him also at $50 per hour.......

If your responding to my post reading is a skill you must not have then. You are right that would put him at $50 an hour or $25 per man hour for a two man crew. I said my labor rate is $50 per man hour for a two man crew that would be $100 per hour.

If he is mowing by himself then he is making decent money $400 for an 8 hour day isn't bad in my book but if you have employee's doing the work its not enough.

Golfpro21
03-01-2011, 04:32 PM
If your responding to my post reading is a skill you must not have then. You are right that would put him at $50 an hour or $25 per man hour for a two man crew. I said my labor rate is $50 per man hour for a two man crew that would be $100 per hour.

If he is mowing by himself then he is making decent money $400 for an 8 hour day isn't bad in my book but if you have employee's doing the work its not enough.

man hours is hours......if its 8 man hours...a two man crew finished it in 4 hours, 1 man crew it takes 8 hours

slawn
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Correct, I said 7 to 8 man hours, 2 man crew, on a good day we're done in 7.
8 man hours, 2 on crew, on job for 4 hours. $400.00. I would like to make more, but when your bid town jobs you have to make a choice. Can you make it work for you or not. I can live with $50.00 an hour. I knew what I would have to bid to get this job.

Where are you located in Mississippi?

Mendenhall, but this job is in a nearby town.

kilgoja
03-01-2011, 06:31 PM
i worked for a guy years ago and we did a small cemetery...it sucked because everything was so close together we had to use the trimmer for the whole thing...all 3 of us on the crew...took awhile to get it done..eventually we dropped it or got outbid or something and that was fine with me lol

03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
8404, do you have any town accounts?

No not at this time. But one year i mowed the McCullough Blvd. center strip it Tupelo. that was my first experiance with city bidding and it was barely worth it. I also mowed the Army reserve post in Tupelo for 4 years now that one payed well and its contracts lasted 2 years at a time.