PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a new walk behind mower

James Cormier
03-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Not for commercial use, just my own lawn. Im a fert guy that use to own a mowing business. Sold it 10 years ago with all my wright standers, Toro Zmasters and Toro T-bar mowers. About 5 years ago I purchased a Wright Sentar to mow my own lawn, little over an acre. However I really miss walking and would like to buy a new mower for this year.

I really liked my old toro t-bars, never could get use to the pistol grip mowers. So I would like to go with something similar to this. I see Hustler has a mower called the TrimStar. Are there any other commercial mowers like these two set ups?

I dont want a ztr, or stand on...dont care about mowing faster. I just want something that cuts nice, leaves great lines and makes me walk. I will be keeping my sentar for clean up's, I pull a vac system behind it for leaves.

ALC-GregH
03-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Have you looked at the BOP Duallys?

Lurch01
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I really like the Exmark walk behind myself. They seem to cut through anything I need.

Keep walking. I know you are buying for personal use. But I like the Cardio of it. I get more than a few miles a day of walking and sweat out the poisons. The belly just keeps going away.

mowerbrad
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
The nice thing about walk behinds is that should you ever decide you want to ride again, you can just add a sulky to it and then just unhitch the sulky to be able to walk again.

Toro has their T2 controls for their hydro walkbehinds, that may be a good option if you are looking for a hydro walkbehind, plus that will come with a turbo force deck. John Deere and some other brands have their ztr controls on their new walk behinds, so if you are used to the controls on a wright stander, these would be roughly the same.

Exmark has their ECS controls, I've used them for just a couple minutes, so I can't say how comfortable they are to use, but they are an option.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
What about Scag's ProV?

Painting Stripes 11
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Exmark turf tracer hp (ecs handles) cuts awesome and real easy to mow with!

Merkava_4
03-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Get you a Snapper Hi-Vac 21. :weightlifter:

gasracer
03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
It you like true T-bar controls Gravely mas some new models out.I don't like pistol grips either.

crslolbkr
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I own a 48" Hustler walk-behind with T-bar controls. The controls only took a few mows to get used to and then it was a breeze. I've not used any other systems (other than pistol grips and the T-bar) but I'm sure the T-bar has got to be top 3 if not the single easiest to operate. The cut is good but the stripes are't noticeable unless you mow at 3 1/2" - 4". It is a 2000 model so their are sure to be upgrades and improvements on the striping since then. I also own a scag belt drive walk behind that leaves great stripes. The best striping machine I've owned was a Bobcat walk-behind, it may be worth checking out their walk-behind with z controls.

gasracer
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
The new Hustler Walk behinds have handle bars with twist grips on them.

watsmi57
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
the new Gravely's have either pro steer or pistol grip. it is an option but the mowers are the same price. i just ordered a pro steer. tough looking machine. 36, 48 or 52 i think are the sizes

twcw5804
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Gravely has a WAW34 model that is not considered high end but its a very good money for the price. I'm looking at one for small yards and my dealer is quoting $1400 new.