PDA

View Full Version : moss and spongy lawn

muskiejk
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
I have an issue with moss taking over lawn. Property is shaded most of the day, sit up on a hill. Lawn doesnt seem to drain well. Does anyone know if I install perforated tube and draw water away from house if that will solve moss problem. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks

txgrassguy
03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
First, post a picture as your description is lacking required info.
Second, what is the turf type, climate, zone and any additional info regarding cultural maintenance practices in place.

muskiejk
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
House sits on hill roughly20ft above streeet level, surrounded by trees and privacy shrubs 25/30ft gets next to no sun except on 1 side pitch of lawn 15- 20 degrees climate 6b sporadic grass thin at best. Lawn looks like wet clay under moss, gonna scoop it up and put lime down,run some perf tube down to street level put top soil down some top dressing and seed it & pray it works

2low4NH
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
aerate and top dress with sandy loam. would be a cheaper option.

muskiejk
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
thanks for your advice how deep should I aerate, 1.25 top dressind enough or go deeper?

Smallaxe
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
thanks for your advice how deep should I aerate, 1.25 top dressind enough or go deeper?

As deep as the plugs will go... the deeper the better, if you're going to topdress with sandy loam. Be sure there is lots of OM in your mixture as well...
(Is It bad enough to justify, retilling? Adding sand and compost at that time would be best case scenario.)

You must also get used to the idea that grass will not grow in the shade very well. I would go heavy on the AR this spring and not worry about CG at all in this case.
(Of course if you're Southern, then I can't say)

You mentioned the house, needing a perforated tiling... What is roof runoff doing in this particular case?

txgrassguy
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
The aeration is a good idea but instead of loam topdress with straight sand.
Prior to the topdressing rake up all of the cores exposing the holes, topdress until less than half of what turf exists is showing then level using the straight edge of the rake.
Pull a soil test as well and you can add whatever amendments are needed right in with the sand.
Should moss continually reoccur simply spray the area with a one gallon pump up sprayer with 1oz per gallon of Dawn Ultrex liquid dish detergent and you'll stop the moss.

signature lawns
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I would aerate and then leave the cores to break down on their own, as this will help keep the thatch in check with all the micro-organisms that will feed on the thatch. It would appear that thatch might be a problem if like you said it feels "spongy" when walked on. After aerating topdress with compost, as this will be a great way to actually change the composition of the soil. You might want to overseed with a shade variety that has creeping red, and chewings fescue in the mix. If you do all of this use a pre-emergent that contains "Siduron" which is the active ingredient that allows grass seed to germinate, but prevents weeds from germinating. It is labeled as Tupersan as the common name. Have the customer contact an arborist to "limb" up the trees to bring in more sunlight for the lawn. The lawn should look great by the end of the year.

muskiejk
03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
these ideas will help me get some grass to grow. I know this isnt going to be a golf course lol Hey smallaxe roof drainage is good, the whole frt goes right into soil line, OM CG? I like your idea txgrass. but maybe just go 5" deep and put in half asnd at base and then top dress the rest thanks

muskiejk
05-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi guys, sorry it took so long to repy. After aerating lawn, used moss killer, cleaned up dead moss, pain in the ass, limed it , put 10 yards of top soil, grade,fertilize, and seed. The lawn looks really good. The mailman said this lawn hasnt had grass in over 15 yeas\rs. A big thanks to those who responded with ideas

FYS777
05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
i am glad i don't live there, because none of any of this makes sense.:)

Smallaxe
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
A couple of months??? Tell us in October whassup... :)