PDA

View Full Version : How do you git bids ?

Jqueencll
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Iam looking for new jobs but i dont know were to fine new bids.....:confused:

StoneFaced
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Post an ad on Craigslist.

Agape
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Find a neighbor hood that looks like they care about their property and put out door hangers, everyday at least 3 hours a day or more if it's flat.

Agape
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?

Same almost with lawn maint.- you gotta tell them the good news about yourself.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
If this is the first season, expect to scratch and claw for just a few jobs. The phone will not ring when you want it to. You will have to spend some $$ on marketing with little return. You will get just a couple customers BUT do a good job for them. Keep plugging along, do things right, and after your 3rd or 4th season, the phone will ring, and you WON'T want it to:)

Guzzo856
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
yes,,,, u will have to claw your way through he door for people to THINK about using you.. I get alot of doors slammed on my face. But u gotta hustle to even move in this business

Lurch01
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I have 10,000 Door Hanger going out right now. They work great for My Real Estate business. Hopefully they will work as well for Lawn's. Here is what it looks like. Well Obviously my phone # is on them. I will hit the same homes on the first of next month as well.

These Work.

torotorotoro
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I have 10,000 Door Hanger going out right now. They work great for My Real Estate business. Hopefully they will work as well for Lawn's. Here is what it looks like. Well Obviously my phone # is on them. I will hit the same homes on the first of next month as well.

These Work.

just do what this guy is doing and lower the price ,mabey $14 a week. if this dont work stand on the corner and hold a sighn that says "will mow for food". the flyers work so good for his real estate buisness he is now mowing lawns.

Tyner Lawn Service
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=torotorotoro;3917984]just do what this guy is doing and lower the price ,mabey $14 a week. if this dont work stand on the corner and hold a sighn that says "will mow for food". the flyers work so good for his real estate buisness he is now mowing lawns.[/QUOTE

It's MAYBE not mabey:) SIGN not sighn:)Just had to do that because I miss a few too. And the author of the post GET not git. :)

JB1
03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
yew jest need to git out and work your but off an hand out lotts of flyers an meets witha lot ofs people. an it wl come to yew.

BINKY1902
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
yew jest need to git out and work your but off an hand out lotts of flyers an meets witha lot ofs people. an it wl come to yew.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

John deer Z
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Find a neighbor hood that looks like they care about their property and put out door hangers, everyday at least 3 hours a day or more if it's flat.

Tryed that when I first got started and it never got me One customer!!

John deer Z
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
just do a good job for the ones you get and word of mouth is you best advertizer!!:waving:

P.Services
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Git-r-done !!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
The guys that are going to rise out of this economic time frame is the ones that will advertise, advertise, and advertise some more. On top of it, networking with other business owners and professionals will pay off.

It takes a few good years to build a reputation and just get the name out there before you will "just start getting calls for bids".

Agape
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Tryed that when I first got started and it never got me One customer!!

Either you didn't do it enough, or your fliers sucked.
Not trying to be a jerk, but if you can't make yourself look good, then no one will expect you to make them look good.

John deer Z
03-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Either you didn't do it enough, or your fliers sucked.
Not trying to be a jerk, but if you can't make yourself look good, then no one will expect you to make them look good.

My flier's looked fine but you have so many people putting out flier's in the neighborhoods, which some say no soliciting, that it is all most impossible to get business that way around here unless you want to mow a yard for 15 bucks or lower. I cant do that and make money. Maybe you can but I cant.

oldclawn
03-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Don't give up your day job.

Agape
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
My flier's looked fine but you have so many people putting out flier's in the neighborhoods, which some say no soliciting, that it is all most impossible to get business that way around here unless you want to mow a yard for 15 bucks or lower. I cant do that and make money. Maybe you can but I cant.

I charge more than most, and competitive on 1X jobs but in the upper end. I don't build fast, but I won't loose any accounts due to lowballers, as my customers weren't looking for the lowest price in the first place.

There's two kinds of customers; ones that have tried budget companies and realize that if they want quality, they get what they pay for and are willing to pay for it, and not have the headaches- and the others have tried the lowballers and the next, and the next, and the next because somehow, they believe that they should get exceptional service and quality for the same low price. I had a guy that LOVED my service, but left for a newbie scrubb with promises and contacted me after a bit over 2 months later wanting me back, but at the scrubs price!.....I declined....
I sell myself as Quality, which is difficult to do because I mow, edge, blow, weed etc... and so does the scrub, but I have a better chemical program and the scrub has promises that he can't afford to keep, so in a couple months the quality plummets when he realizes that shortcuts and skimping are the only way to break even.

Make your self look like quality, and go after the first group. They're harder to find, so you have to market yourself better, which means don't go out for an hour here and there and expect results.

Agape
03-01-2011, 10:43 PM
ps- most of my customers have a no soliciting sign. if you had truck lettering like me you could park your truck in front of a "for sale" home in that neighbor hood as a billboard, and take your other, or employees truck to another nearby neighborhood and put fliers there.

Or when you get a call because of no soliciting signs just say; "I'm going to have a talk with the guys, and will most likely result in someone being fired. Thank you so much for bringing this immediately to my attention!"
This will make them think they got the revenge they deserve, and you might call the number back from a payphone in the middle of the night lol

Heck, take all the tools off your trailer and take it with you and put the gate down in front
of the property to look like you're working some where there.

You have power over you. Go get it!!

torotorotoro
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
i love it when i post something and a d bag corrects my spelling.i will try to spell check my sarcasm

Agape
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
i love it when i post something and a d bag corrects my spelling.i will try to spell check my sarcasm

hardly anyone on here worth a spell check function (funkshunn),
It's all they have.

TXBullDawg
03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Eye tipe an reed n eboniks, makes life ezee :hammerhead:

Lurch01
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
just do what this guy is doing and lower the price ,mabey $14 a week. if this dont work stand on the corner and hold a sighn that says "will mow for food". the flyers work so good for his real estate buisness he is now mowing lawns.

Toro, I have 3 business, and I still own several homes.

I can not control the fact that we are in a down market and I can not sell the ones I have left.

13 months ago, I lost 32 homes but I am still here fighting. Just like yourself. I also am involved in property management. So just cutting the lawns I manage every week will make me an extra $5,760 plus monthly. I know I am giving away money having other mow the lawns so I am cutting them

I can not remodel a home or lay carpet, But I can cut a yard. I have to drive by and view every property weekly, So why not cut the grass as well?

So save your juvenile comments for your family. I am sure by now they have grown to love them.

GrassesGuy
03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Hundred bucks says the ipad drawing on your flyer is bull shi$. Nice try buddy :nono:

aarons lawn
03-02-2011, 05:21 PM

These Work.

you could cut my yard $ 24 bucks !!!!! its bad to put prices on to hangers

mrbray101
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Biggest thing starting out is to maintain exceptional quality. Do that little bit extra to stand out. One thing I always try when I get a new account is to make a difference, even if the yard was already in great shape. Do something that will stand out and tell the client about it.

Quality i what gets work. When people are happy with the service, they will tell their friends who tell their friends and so on.

Use your connections as well. Even if it is just a friend of a friend, tell them about your business and what you have to offer and maybe they will sign up solely because they know of you already.

Good luck.

Tyner Lawn Service
03-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Oh come on I just saw you were from Omahaha like me and put that post in. There's already enough folks on the net who hide behind their post. Enjoy the upcoming spring it's getting closer for us.:)

Clark Griswold
03-02-2011, 06:48 PM

These Work.

Oh those are cute!

John deer Z
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
ps- most of my customers have a no soliciting sign. if you had truck lettering like me you could park your truck in front of a "for sale" home in that neighbor hood as a billboard, and take your other, or employees truck to another nearby neighborhood and put fliers there.

Or when you get a call because of no soliciting signs just say; "I'm going to have a talk with the guys, and will most likely result in someone being fired. Thank you so much for bringing this immediately to my attention!"
This will make them think they got the revenge they deserve, and you might call the number back from a payphone in the middle of the night lol

Heck, take all the tools off your trailer and take it with you and put the gate down in front
of the property to look like you're working some where there.

You have power over you. Go get it!!

not to be the jerk myself but you are telling the guy to do Quality work on the other hand you are telling him to do something dishonest to get it :confused: Something just does not sound right about this. I am going to do Quality work and then I will do it honestly or not at all!!:waving:

torotorotoro
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Toro, I have 3 business, and I still own several homes.

I can not control the fact that we are in a down market and I can not sell the ones I have left.

13 months ago, I lost 32 homes but I am still here fighting. Just like yourself. I also am involved in property management. So just cutting the lawns I manage every week will make me an extra $5,760 plus monthly. I know I am giving away money having other mow the lawns so I am cutting them

I can not remodel a home or lay carpet, But I can cut a yard. I have to drive by and view every property weekly, So why not cut the grass as well?

So save your juvenile comments for your family. I am sure by now they have grown to love them.

now im just trying to help you. the same mentality that told you it was a good idea to buy 32 houses is now telling you that you can mow all those lawns and it will be great.something is going to burst ( just like the housing bubble) like your prop management job or your burger king job.the idea of mowing any yard for $24 and putting it on your flyer is very sad. you will get work, in every circle and huge corner lot. you will now be known as the corner lot king.

Agape
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
not to be the jerk myself but you are telling the guy to do Quality work on the other hand you are telling him to do something dishonest to get it :confused: Something just does not sound right about this. I am going to do Quality work and then I will do it honestly or not at all!!:waving:

what is dishonest? in my area a cop harassed my guys for putting out fliers, so I contacted compliance services and they said a law was on the books, but that they were not allowed to enforce it because it violated the constitutinal right to "free speech".
I asked him about no soliciting signs and was explained that as long as I was not nocking on doors actively involved in "sales" I did not need a solicitors lic.
.........results may vary.....

PAHOBO
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Well if cutting lawns doesn't work he can always demo vacuum cleaners!!he's used to going door to door.....

torotorotoro
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
its like lurch101 thinks that all of the $5760 is all going to his pocket.surprise it not.you will have this strange concept called expenses.

Dogbonz
03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
its like lurch101 thinks that all of the $5760 is all going to his pocket.surprise it not.you will have this strange concept called expenses.

It does all go in his pocket!! As he own's his push mower,, doesn't trim, blow, or buy gas. His mower is one of them there, green mower's,, it run's on HOPE!:laugh:

torotorotoro
03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
It does all go in his pocket!! As he own's his push mower,, doesn't trim, blow, or buy gas. His mower is one of them there, green mower's,, it run's on HOPE!:laugh:

hope and change. i hope he is still reading and changes his plans.

Mahoney3223
03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
usually we get bids when we learn to spell LOL J.k buddy! But it helps!

D&K Lawns
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya'll argue about some of the dumbest stuff.