PDA

View Full Version : Jd Jx85 Comments

ilovethisgame
09-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Unfortunatly it has come time for my 21" 2cycle Toro Proline to assume a back up role. Due to CA's horrid air restriction laws 2cycle mowers have been unavailable for about 5 years now. Most of the Toro dealers around here have been less than helpful so, I'm looking at the JD JX85 mower l'd just like any feedback positive or negative from past or current owners as l have never used one. Would also like to know if it mulches well.

p.s. The same guys who deal Toro also deal Honda,Snapper... Plus l've used most of them and don't like how they mulch anyhow :(

p.p.s. Any dealers willing to ship a new 21" 2 cycle bbc Proline to CA? (assuming that's legal) Let me know :p

bob
09-14-2002, 09:42 PM
I have the JX75, which is the home owner version of the JX85. It mulches ok, but for a better cut I'd use the bagger. There's not a lot of differece between the 2 mowers, except the price! The JX85 has an oil filter, better wheels,deck edge guards, and better height adjusters.

walker-talker
09-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Mine is about 5 years old, but I have only had it about 3 years. It's hard to get it in 5th gear, but really other than that, it has served me well. IMHO, it mulches well and bags well also. For the last 3 years it has started on the 1st pull EVERYTIME. Even when my hand has slipped half way through the pull stroke. 6hp Kaw engine is very reliable. From the research I have done here, it seems that the Honda has been one of the favorites, but I have personally never owned one.

MATT

Albemarle Lawn
09-15-2002, 12:53 AM
Make sure you get the steel wheels.

Only trouble I have had is the blade engagement lever breaks and the throttle/choke is finicky.

Mine gets a lot of sun so plastic parts like the blade control get brittle.

Great cut. Really heavy if you have to lift it. I always drop the gate to trailer it and yell at my employees if I catch them trying to lift it. I think its 160 lbs, but I may be wrong.

Ken

walker-talker
09-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Oh yea.....i guess I have made some minor repairs to mine also. The lever that engages the tranmission has been repalced. It fell off 2 while driving down the road, once I did not find it. I also replaced the cable for engaging the transmission, the spring broke, but you have to replace the entire cable with the spring attached. The JX85 comes with steel wheels as a standard.

MATT

Mowingman
09-15-2002, 01:34 AM
I have used the JX85 and 75 mowers and previous model,14SB, for years. Wouldn't use anything else. Get the 75 as it is not quite as heavy. You can add the heavy duty height adj. brackets , or the steel wheels later if you want them, as all parts are interchangable on the 75 and 85. The plastic wheels last as long as the metal ones I have found. On the plastic, the tread wears down. On the metal ones, the tread peals off the wheel.
Bad points: We use the heck out of ours and they eat one trans./year.
Good points: Great mulcher and great bagger; Love the blade clutch; Kawi. engine is bullet proof; many speed settings for self propel; easy to dump bag; only weighs about 110 lbs.
I currently own 5 of these and we run the heck out of them. Oldest is now 6 years old and runs great.:)

walker-talker
09-15-2002, 01:47 AM
If you do go with the JX75, I would suggest getting the full lubrication kit so that you will have an oil filter. If I remember correctly, they are only $40 installed. They even make an insert for discharging. I think they are only like $30. I don't have one, but it is on my list. Right now if I want to discharge, I just lift the rear flap and keep it up with a couple of bungie cords.

Good luck
MATT

4 Saisons
09-15-2002, 05:59 AM
Toro 4-stroke, mine is briggs 6.5hp. A lot of power in tall wet grass. I use it with double blade, excelent mulcher and bagger.

Kawi 6hp is also available.

This is the same chassis as your old proline, so you gonna have some spare part. cable, wheel, trany, etc...

Currier
09-15-2002, 10:39 AM
I bought a jx85 this year after years of trying to justify the $$. It is an excellent machine and I have no regrets about the $$. It performs very well and I imagine it will last several years. A very solid machine with a great cut.

joed
09-15-2002, 12:17 PM
I've owned the JX85 for the past 4 years. Here is what I have found:
Strong Points
1. Kawasaki Engine: Incredible, bullet-proof reliable engine. I had the rpms raised from 3150 to 3600 and this has made a big difference in performance. The mower moves much quicker and leaves a better cut too.
2. Cut- The JX85 leaves, in my opinion, the best cut of any 21" mower I have used and I also run a Toro Proline with the 6.5 Briggs engine. It is outstanding as a bagger and this year, I started side discharging with it. You can get a side discharge chute for $30 Canadian. It works quite well and leaves a great cut in wet conditions, though you have to stop to put the bagger on to collect clippings when they get too high. Finally, it is pretty good as a mulcher but not as good as my Toro.
3. Reliability- No major problems in the 4 years of ownership.

Weak Points
1. Bag-way too small.
2. Discharge-wish it had a discharge chute on the side not the back.

I don't think you'll regret this as a choice. Good luck!

indian
09-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Has naybody heard of the possibility of jd stopping production of several models including the jx 85 and je 75? Also have you heard any rumors about the switching motors to the robin engine. There is a reference to this on the robin america website.

ilovethisgame
09-15-2002, 01:28 PM
I can definatly justify the price as The 21" on the trailer sees most of the action. The dealer says they have worked out most of the transmission problems from the older models. I'll probably buy the accellerator ind. catcher for fall/winter bagging. I wouldn't mind another Toro but, my dealers really suck and l'd have a hard time handing any of them $900. Plus I'd have to do all my parts shoping online. Again thanks for all the feed back.

-Dave

Brickman
09-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
I have used the JX85 and 75 mowers and previous model,14SB, for years. Wouldn't use anything else. Get the 75 as it is not quite as heavy. You can add the heavy duty height adj. brackets , or the steel wheels later if you want them, as all parts are interchangable on the 75 and 85. The plastic wheels last as long as the metal ones I have found. On the plastic, the tread wears down. On the metal ones, the tread peals off the wheel.

It is funny you mention the wheels because I had a 85 and 75 both. The wheels on the 85 lasted for like 5 or 6 years until I sold it. They were still in good shape. On the 75 the plastic wheels lasted about 3 years before they were so smooth they had NO traction and were coming apart. I for one would not be able to afford the steel wheels. You can buy ONE COMPLETE set of plastic for the price of one steel wheel.

Dave as far as the mowers go, I know you will love them. Both the 85 and 75 are very much a like. The 85 is built just a little more solid and you can feel that in the handle bars when you are mowing. Other wise I had very little reliability problems. The plastic controls can and do break, but are easily replaced with normal hand tools. Earlier this summer before I sold out, my employee some how broke the engagment lever for the blade. How he said it broke STILL DOES NOT make any sense. Cost was roughly $47 and time to change was about 10 mins.
I have left mine sit all winter without draining the fuel or adding stabilizer and in the spring they will start on the first of second pull. Most of the summer you will not need the choke, even on the first lawn of the day. The fuel consumtion is awesome too.

Check on Ebay, some times you can get the mower shipped to you for $50 to $100 less than a dealer.

How is the Walker? it sounds like it is taking the back seat. :)

odin
09-15-2002, 04:54 PM
We have a 2000 jx 85 and it leaves a lot of stringers standing up.

Anyone else have this problem?Our toro and honda dont leave as many of them stringers as the deere does.

Brickman
09-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Odin I found that keeping SHARP blades and a clean deck made a big dif. Also I would bet if you could find gators for the JX 85 that would make a big dif as well.

odin
09-15-2002, 06:03 PM
BRICKMAN

Yeah is was wondering if the john deere stock blade might have something to do with it.

We keep the deck clean and blades razor sharp at all times.

Any where online to get a gator for the jx 85?

bob
09-15-2002, 10:11 PM
I pretty sure the Gator Blade is 90-962. Thats whats on mine. I haven't use it because the blade is straight, where the factory blade isn't. The Gator would cut higher than the factory blade on the same wheel setting. I'll try to post a picture later.

dlandscaping
09-15-2002, 10:35 PM
I would look at the toro 4strokes. There are two models with a 6.5briggs or 6kawi engine. I love my toros.
I personally would never buy a john deere for two reasons:
1. you are paying for the green and yellow JD name
2. There is a small quarter size piece on JD mowers that goes out and costs $75 to replace!!

1stclasslawns
09-15-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm glad to hear about these mowers. I just replaced my honda powered mtd pusher with a 14sb I got off of a little old lady customer I have. I have done her lawn for 9 years and the mower hasn't moved in all that time. It hasn't ever been used!!

$100.00 and mowing her lawn 4 times sound like a good price? (small yard)

Weve got it running and working well with nothing but cleaning.

Jim

Scag48
09-16-2002, 12:05 AM
Toro 4 strokes. Only way to mulch for 21's. I've got a residential model that is 8 years old and I beat the **** out if for the last 3 years as my frontline mower. Since it's an older mower, they made them back then with 5.5 hp and it cuts exceptionally well in long and wet conditions. IMO, Toro smokes the field of mulching by FAR.

GLS
09-16-2002, 12:53 AM
I would highly recommend the jx85. I own the jx75 and I think it is a great mower, I only wish I had bought the 85 the plastic tread wears too quickly, I have holes in the rear wheels (I rotated the fronts to the back to temperarely solve the problem). I think the rubber tread would do better, and get better traction on hills too.
Other than that, I love it. It is the best bagger I have ever used (never clogged) and isn't a bad mulcher either. I like the 5-speed and the bbc, and especially the kawasaki engine.

Get the deere, you won't be dissappointed:)

cleancutdude
09-16-2002, 02:57 PM
I've had one for two seasons now and have been very disappointed .

bad points
1. will not pick up damp grass.
2. wheel axle bolts broke .
3. cables catch on every thing and break .
4. speed is hard to adjust

good points
1. kaw. engine
2. 4.1 mph. top speed.

Sorry I didn't spend a 1/3 more and buy an Etesia 51pro or spend a 1/3 less and get Ariens.

Brickman
09-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
I would look at the toro 4strokes. There are two models with a 6.5briggs or 6kawi engine. I love my toros.
I personally would never buy a john deere for two reasons:
1. you are paying for the green and yellow JD name
2. There is a small quarter size piece on JD mowers that goes out and costs $75 to replace!!

Go price a new Toro and a JD. See which one is the most expensive. Yup you are seeing right. The TORO.

odin
09-16-2002, 11:47 PM
brickman

Around here there both around a 1000 bucks the deere is about 50 bucks higher then the toro. Around here that honda hydro 216 is the most expensive 21 about 1200 bucks.

Brickman
09-17-2002, 12:22 AM
Odin I guess I was speaking for around here. I can get the JD for between $900 and $1000 depending on dealer sale. And a comparable Toro is pretty close to the $1200 mark.
I got a JX 75 new in the box off Ebay for about $50 to $75 less than local. That includes shipping too.

dlandscaping
09-17-2002, 03:45 PM
List price for toros are around $1150-1200 i pay $900. The deeres were close to $1000. Hondas are about 1000-1300!

ilovethisgame
09-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Well, I went to the JD dealer today w/ my new found knolage on these mowers. I agree the plastic controls look questionable(mind you this mower will sit on an open trailer). I bent the dealers ear for the better part of an hour but, left empty handed. I was not convinced this mower was equal too or better than my Proline. I'm about four hours from the Nevada border l may just have to smugle myself a new 2 cycle Proline into CA ;)

Brickman: The Walker gets off the trailer a bit. But, latley it seems I'm getting alot of postage stamp lawns, good old CA and mass building/landscaping.

-Dave

Scag48
09-17-2002, 11:28 PM
I'm about four hours from the Nevada border l may just have to smugle myself a new 2 cycle Proline into CA

Send me the $$$ and I'll ship ya one! I don't know what they go for around here, about $900 I think. I can get commercial Honda's for $950.

Brickman
09-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Scag if Dave does that rest assured his money is good. I sold a Walker to him and the deal was flawless. He is a good guy to do biz with.

scottishmaximus
09-17-2002, 11:49 PM
i have two of these mowers that are about 6 yrs old and have been happy with them. i have gators on both and noticed that it fills the bag slower than the standard mulching blade. the bag is the fastest i have used for unloading. i have the rear discharge chutes and they are ok in shorter grass but clump in higher.

things replaced:
drive cables
wheels
2 rear wheel axle bolts
plastic chute on inside 2 times total

i have 5hp briggs engines and they save a ton of money. i haven't had a problem with them.

the 2 speed trans is kinda slow though

Brickman
09-18-2002, 12:55 AM
Wear em out so you can get the Kawi motor and the 5 spd trans. You will love them even more.

ilovethisgame
09-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Don't know if you caught my email but, I'm interested. Shoot me an email. Thanks -Dave

bob
09-22-2002, 07:06 PM
Sometimes the rear wheels will jump down to a lower heigth setting. I always cut at 3.5". A helper "jumped" a curb with a half full bagger and the rear wheels settings went to 1.5". He kept right on cutting. I don't know how he couldn't see that he was scalping the lawn. I bought these HD heigth adjusters at my local LD dealer for $4 each.