PDA

View Full Version : Made my own mulch plate in 15 min for quick 36

booboy
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I had forgot to purchase the new mulch plate with my new mower. Instead of paying $60 plus shipping to Canada I though I would try to make up my own. I made this out of a plastic plant pot. The best part of this besides the fact that it was free is that it easily folds out of the way when you dont want to use it. One less bulky thing to keep in the truck.

bryansong
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Cool Beans!

aarons lawn
03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
wait till you hit a nice rock

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Ya I agree. It looks nice, but I'm pretty sure anything larger in size will pass right through it. At least it will be easy to replace.

ecurbthims
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
looks like your going to lose your nuts the first time out due to no lock washer or locknut .I would try a pin so you dont need any tools .

Roger
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I think you have a simple chute blocker there, not a mulch plate. Right? Your design does not include baffles under the deck, at least from what I can see from your pictures.

44DCNF
03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
"Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!"

White Gardens
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I give him props.

It looks like a heavier plastic pot that he used, so I think there is some durability there. But yes, a few good sticks and it will start to break.

Instead of a lock washer on the nut, I would use a wing nut and weld a big washer to it so all you will have to use is a pair of pliers to take it off.

That and leave your nut or wing nut on the stud after you remove the blocker.

When that one wears out, might want to look for some thick rubber similar to rubber cutting edges on snow pusher boxes, or an old grain elevator belt you can cut up.

booboy
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I will add some washers if needed. I will be happy if it lasts a few months before I have to make another. It is basically the same thing that is sold for the mower as you can see in pic.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/ACC-0014_1.jpg

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
looks like your going to lose your nuts the first time out due to no lock washer or locknut .I would try a pin so you dont need any tools .

If something penetrates that blocker, the OP may well lose his nuts:)

scagman52
03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
booboy...good intentions but you will lose time bolting and unbolting everytime you want to close it. I think it will get old fast!

dishboy
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
A chute blocked minus the rest of a kit , along with the inferior mulching performance of a tunnel design is a combination that will not give any kind of actual mulching performance on northern grasses IMO. If you like making a big wet trail down the right side it will be superb addition:rolleyes:

Roger
03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
scagman,... depends upon the intentions. For day-to-day grass cutting, when trying to keep clippings out of beds, you are right -- cannot afford the time to do the on/off procedure.

dishboy, .. agree. This is not a solution for mulching as final pass. Mowing with very many clippings will only leave a windrow down the right side.

The OP does not say how it intends to be used.

I have a JD Z-trak, 48" 7 Iron II deck. I made a chute blocker out of a piece of 2X6 block of wood. I never use it for grass, only leaf mulching in the Fall. And, it is never used for final pass, just a first pass (w/ Gators), with a second cross pass to scatter the windrow. It does a great job for the intended purpose -- one bolt on/off, 20 seconds each, and one time for a property. It would never work for day-to-day typical grass mowing, used to keep clippings out of beds.

ALC-GregH
03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I will add some washers if needed. I will be happy if it lasts a few months before I have to make another. It is basically the same thing that is sold for the mower as you can see in pic.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/ACC-0014_1.jpg

I have one of those that I'll never use.

Landrus2
03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
What is the thickness on that plate?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Update - the Quick with chute blocker will not leave a clipping windrow as stated above.
(I have used the machine with blocker before)

It will however cause plugging of the deck if the grass is too tall or wet, resulting in grass wads spread across a lawn. The blocker is best used in the fall when the turf is bone dry, and you want to mulch up some leaves. That is the only time I use it now.

yardatwork
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I like that you're being creative and designing things...however...I sure hope the nut doesn't rattle loose or the belt rips through the bolt hole and the belt gets sucked into the blades...then...there will be all sorts of trouble going on!

dishboy
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Update - the Quick with chute blocker will not leave a clipping windrow as stated above.
(I have used the machine with blocker before)

It will however cause plugging of the deck if the grass is too tall or wet, resulting in grass wads spread across a lawn. The blocker is best used in the fall when the turf is bone dry, and you want to mulch up some leaves. That is the only time I use it now.

Well that's totally better, it won't leave a big windrow , but is still unusable in tough conditions. That sounds so much better, I think I'll sell my mowers that actually mulch wet or long grass and get on the Quik band wagon.:rolleyes:

heyfishguy
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey booboy, I sent your a private message. I was just wondering how you like the mower, and what model you ended up getting? Also I was wondering where in BC you live. I would love to see one of these mowers in person. I have been thinking about ordering one of these mowers for the past few years but its hard ordering something sight unseen.