PDA

View Full Version : Building my own trailer rack

vencops
03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
My trailer is a 6'X10'. I'm going to build a rack, Friday, to add to the top rails. I'm asking for your help in dimensioning the rack/basket.

My plan, now, is to "raise" it 6-10". I'd like to be able to put inside:

Backpack blower
gas can (small-ish)
5 gal gas can (occasionally)
Backpack sprayer
?????
?????

I'm pretty sure I can get away with it being 18" deep. I'm wondering on how high to go with it (2'?).

Also, on the door.....Would you split it up (2X3')? It would seem that this would be easier to handle from one side. Also....is there a place to put the door(s) that's better than another (open from the inside of the trailer? Outside, towards the tongue?)?

Thanks for your input.

shane772
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
interested in how this turned out??

gasracer
04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
You can buy Landscape cages for around $300 with doors on both sides. Making one is a lot of work

Falcon50EX
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
My trailer is a 6'X10'. I'm going to build a rack, Friday, to add to the top rails. I'm asking for your help in dimensioning the rack/basket.

My plan, now, is to "raise" it 6-10". I'd like to be able to put inside:

Backpack blower
gas can (small-ish)
5 gal gas can (occasionally)
Backpack sprayer
?????
?????

I'm pretty sure I can get away with it being 18" deep. I'm wondering on how high to go with it (2'?).

Also, on the door.....Would you split it up (2X3')? It would seem that this would be easier to handle from one side. Also....is there a place to put the door(s) that's better than another (open from the inside of the trailer? Outside, towards the tongue?)?

Thanks for your input.

Do a search guys have built all types of racks / cages some very good post on thickness of metal and doors.