PDA

View Full Version : Mowing estimates

944own
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
When giving a mowing estimate to a new customer that wants to change LCO's do you ask them what they were paying to get a idea of where you should be I have done this with success in the past but wonder if it is kosher.

deanslawnservice09
03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
If they are changing LCO's because of what the last company was charging, it might be good idea. If not, just give a price you feel comfortable with.. and when they go "well let me just check with me husband...." you might want to go a little bit lower lol

ACA L&L
03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
When giving a mowing estimate to a new customer that wants to change LCO's do you ask them what they were paying to get a idea of where you should be I have done this with success in the past but wonder if it is kosher.

Usually the customer will throw the price out without prompting, in most cases i already know what were gonna be charging and the price the previous company was charging is irrelavant. If they are telling you then they will be wanting you to match it or br lower, our prices are already set for the most part. At this point its your job to sell them on why your company would be a better fit for there needs.....

greenchoppers
03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I usually don't ask them what they were paying. My price is what it is. I have been told than I am more expensive than the next guy but I provide more.

I feel that they called me for a reason (probably bad service from previous person) and if they are with a lowballer or the neighborhood kid, then my price is the same. I price to make a profit. If I can't charge enough to make a profit, then I am on to the next lawn.

We do get most, not all, of the ones we give estimates to.

944own
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Well I picked up this acct last year and the girl mentioned me to her sister and I started cutting her yard the first time I cut it I told her $40.00 when she paid me she gave me $50.00 and said that is what we were paying the last guy so now I am about to go give her mother a price for this year it is funny how word of mouth works if you do a good job that would be 3 accts of 1 flyer.

944own
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Well I picked up this acct last year and the girl mentioned me to her sister and I started cutting her yard the first time I cut it I told her $40.00 when she paid me she gave me $50.00 and said that is what we were paying the last guy so now I am about to go give her mother a price for this year it is funny how word of mouth works if you do a good job that would be 3 accts of 1 flyer.

I just left from the estimate I asked what she did not like about the other lco and she said how he trims and said he charged 35 I said what all I do trimming and said it would be 40 and she said when can I start its gonna be sweet about a 25 minute yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

kilgoja
03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
i always ask because sometimes the previous price is higher than i would charge and so i offer the same amount...also it gives you an idea of where to start from on bidding a yard...i mean i'm not gonna lose a customer over $5-$10...know what i mean?

Johnny test
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I always ask but if its commercial they usually don't tell or say that they don't know someone else handles that. Either way I never believe the answer. Well, I shouldn't say never cuz I did once and got burned!!!!

ReddensLawnCare
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
If they tell me they were paying a certain price...unless i believe it was very fair..i normally charge a little more..especially if they were unhappy with the last guy. They will pay for better service..so charge them for it.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I guess if you feel comfortable doing this but I personally wouldn't because I give a price that I need to do the job and if its not good with them I wont go lower.