PDA

View Full Version : NYS cargo securement

mow4cash
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
So it looks like mowers in an enclosed trailer need to be strapped down unless there in contact with the front wall and then each mower is in contact with each other and the front wall needs to have certain requirements too. Does anybody know If I am understanding this correctly? The motor carrier laws are almost impossible to fully understand. Another question too, do I have to let an officer into a locked or closed trailer without a search warrant? I cant even find a place to go for a compliance check. I'm looking for the fastest, easiest way to be in compliance.

MGV
03-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Wish I could give you a answer that I know is correct, it's impossible trying to find the laws written out for you to understand. But what I do is I have a 20' enclosed trailer I tie my 1st mower off the front wall. I have tie downs going into the metal studs. Then I ratchett strap the 2nd mower to the first and the 3rd gets strapped to the 2nd and the back of the 3rd to the floor of the trailer. I have been stopped by the DOT police and they looked inside and did not say anything. On another note make sure all your gas cans have spring loaded covers on them, the ones that don't leak in case of roll over. A friend of mine got stopped going over the Newburgh/Beacon bridge and he had plastic gas cans and was fined $750 for them and $1000 and a out of service tag for a dead battery on his trailer break away.

mow4cash
03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I guess I'm getting dot approved gas cans. No spill has a dot approved gas cap but you can't poor from it. $170 for dot cans and the regular metal cans are not dot approved. When I got pulled over last year the officer did not write me a ticket for plastic cans. He just wanted the cans secure. He was kind enough to write me 4 other tickets though. I guess its hit or miss on the cops mood that day. I just saw a 20ft trailer have to get flatbed-ed away after being pulled over by the village of wap dot unit. There gonna be out in full force this summer to make money so I want to be prepared.

wellbuilt
03-07-2011, 01:43 AM
You guys can go to the trooper barracks and ask if your dot officer would inspect your rig .
Try to get the officer that works your area so he will be the one that is checking you on the street .
pretty much any thing gets 2 straps and yes you have to let them look in the trailer .
gas cans are a big deal now, I have a wood box with a strap over the top .
John

mow4cash
03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Ill give it a shot. Town police wouldn't do it and there patrolling my area the most. They use to have a yearly event at a trailer store and there would be a bunch of branches of law enforcement. They would go over everything and take questions to help out. Then the 10,000 pound law went in to effect and they stopped. Heard from the store that it was a law enforcement liability issue. I took it as times are tough and the state needs money so why do they want you to be in compliance.

wellbuilt
03-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Your town cops dont really worry about dot stuff .
Your state trooper barracks will have a dot station in it .
There are state police dot officers that go around harassing commercial trucking we are a big cash cow .
Every time i get pulled over they tell me some nonsense that ive never herd of before .
It is way eazer to just let them check you out and become compliant .
The trooper will give you written paper work explaining what you need to do . I just realized my med card was up in January oops .
John

mow4cash
03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Your town cops dont really worry about dot stuff .
John
I wish that was the case around here. The state troopers hardly ever bother you unless your on a bridge. Its the locals that are the ball busters now. They are broke and want the high dollar tickets. I don't think I've met a landscaper or construction worker around here who has not got nailed yet.

wellbuilt
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think dot moneys go to the towns its a federal thing.

spazfam
03-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Been stopped 3x in NY you have it correct mowers need to be strapped down on four points unless you can pin them on the fwd wall but the rear mower must be strapped down.. this was according to DOT officer who stopped us...same guy stopped us twice in 2 months.

ParkWelding
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
In the town where most of my mowing customers are, they town police have "traffic safety" officers in cars marked as such. They are trained and equipped to write all the same tickets as NYSP DOT officers. And they do. The cash/check for such tickets goes to the town.....