PDA

View Full Version : Crazy prices in Tennessee

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Just got back from the city council meeting for a bid on two local parks. They are almost 15 acres combined with 2500 ft of chainlink fence that must be trimmed on both sides. On top of this they have a drainage ditch that mostly can't be mower with anything other than a push mower or weedeater. We bid $475 for both which would be 12 to 14 man hours. The low bid came in at $170 per cut. That's like $10 an hour. How do these guys make money? I just don't understand, but if they can make money they are better than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device

jnrogers
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I know what you mean, I didnt even bother bidding on any factories or anything this year. I bid on 2 factories last year in the west end industrial park and got under bid by about $70 dollars per cut, I said well have fun with that.

John deer Z
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
That is why I do not hardly ever waste my fuel going out to bid on some stuff. I will get under bid so bad here in knoxville by a Latino group that will do it for practically nothing.

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
It's getting to the point that commercial properties aren't even worth looking at. I mean I was looking at almost $100 in expenses for this property. That doesn't include if anything breaks. I think we are just going to stay with small properties and people that care what their yard looks like.

jnrogers
03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Same here WVaughn7 and it was a lot less stressful this year. I am content with the accounts I have anyway and I have had them several years now and they are good customers. I usually pick up a few during the year anyway so I am not worried.

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Well thats the only problem as of now. We are a fairly new company and had a couple move so we are down to only a few accounts at the moment. I know it's still early in the season and most aren't worried about the grass right now, but without the calls rolling in it's always in the back of your head that no one will call haha. I'm just hoping to get a few in the next couple weeks.

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
By the way jnrogers are you in Morristown or what? I didn't know if that west end industrial park was the one here or just one nearby.

jnrogers
03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Yep Vaughn, I am on the west side of town in Talbott. I am in a red F-250 pulling a black enclosed trailer if you see me around. Dont worry about accounts you know how people around here are they wait till it starts growing then it gets out of hand and they rush trying to find an lco. Just keep at it they will call.

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Alright I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm not on that end much just have one yard in Franklin Square just west of the Lowe's. Were in a black crew cab F-250 with a 16' open trailer with bed red mowers. Almost exactly opposite of you haha.

SouthSide Cutter
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Same thing here you bid 599 on a job and its goes for 315. I don't waste my time anymore, don't see how they do it but they do.

oldclawn
03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
It's teh same everywhere! As long as there is a continuing stream of wannabee mowing contractors without a clue, the prices during these bidding process' will always be stupid low--smart people don't walk away--they RUN away.

wvaughn7
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Well the only good thing is that they can't possibly stay around very long.

tradeyouraccounts
03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
When low ballers make estimates well below the fair market value in hopes that the customer may use them over the competition always end up regretting their actions when they realize they are digging them selves into a whole. Competitive bidding is just part of business but low balling just sends you out of business. :nono:

Clean-Cut98
03-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I used to bid on the local city mowing here and the school mowing. One year, I won the school mowing bid and the very next day, the director of schools called me and wanted to change the contract. The change would have caused me to lose money, so I just walked away. The city mowing here is bid so low, there's no way that I could make money. So, I don't bid anymore. I also quit bidding on apt. complexes.
I went to one of my higher end customers the other day to get some leaves up and noticed in their newspaper slot in their mailbox that there were 5 business cards and flyers in there for lawn maint. All of them were companies like: Pedro's mowing, Jauns Landscaping, etc. etc.

jonathanone
03-02-2011, 07:28 AM
That right boys that group won't be around long at all, working for $10/hr, sharing living expenses between ten or so, getting benifits at the rate of two claims per surname, nope- they won't last long at all.....

Better hope that they don't figure out that more money can be made in the residential market-because when they start giving out quotes at half your price any homeowner is going to forget your name in less than half the time that it takes a Yankee to fall off the bull.

jacup84
03-02-2011, 07:37 AM
It's all the newbies in morristown that cut everyones throat. But next year when they can't make any extra money because they go out here and buy all new stuff cause they have 1 big account. They don't mow anmore cause they can't get no yards cause they don't know what they are doing.

wvaughn7
03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
It's all the newbies in morristown that cut everyones throat. But next year when they can't make any extra money because they go out here and buy all new stuff cause they have 1 big account. They don't mow anmore cause they can't get no yards cause they don't know what they are doing.

It's getting out of control. I myself am fairly new to the business, but I am certainly not one of these that is out her for $10 per hour with my little 4x6 trailer from Lowe's and a homelite weedeater and push mower. Around here lately you see 5 of those kinds of people to every real business that knows what they are doing. I don't know where you all do your business but out at Lane Sales there is always someone out there that is buying two brand new mowers with no accounts to mow yet. They don't stop to think "How am I going to pay for this with no income?". Then as you well know we have an abundance of Hispanics in town, probably more than 90% of other towns in America. I just don't see it getting much better anytime soon.

Clean-Cut98
03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Well I've been in business since 1995 and it's getting harder and harder to get new accounts. I'm not even trying to get any new ones this year. I picked up 4 new ones over the winter from word of mouth. That'll put me to about 90 accounts for this season and that will be enough for me as long as I can keep them. Glad I have some pretty loyal customers. BTW if anyone does leave me and goes with Joe Blow for a couple dollars cheaper, when they come back, I charge them more.
Hope everybody has a great year.

Chevy z71
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I seen that in the papper to bid on that the other day thats a crazy bid on that.

wvaughn7
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Ya I'm not worried about it there were a few super low ones then a few in the upper 400 range and we were the lowest of them so there may still be a chance to get it. The winner if you can call them that will be announced next week.
Posted via Mobile Device

bolc5150
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't it kind of be nice if there were a lawn union of some kind..Something that would not let prices get so low that it kills the green industries mkt. I was low balled last year saying that I did'nt take of the weeds in the grass. Well that was BULL...T. My contract didn't say anything about any fertilization or weed control. They just made up an excuse to get rid of me and now the property looks like crap. But, what is happening is that these low end mowers get the price so low that the property owner gets used to it and then you can't compete with the decline in $$$$. We all should be making at least about $50-$60 per hr. This makes up for the other 3 months wer'e not mowing. Sorry for the rant, but it's true. :dizzy:

XLS
03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
wow i had no idea there were so many on here from the morristown area , we came out last year and opened a branch in rogersville and it seems we started the little guy movement over there lol we started a 5x8 trailer (The Lawn Guys) and a 30'' z and push mower lol now its getting interesting as how many we have seen doing it too.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Just got back from the city council meeting for a bid on two local parks. They are almost 15 acres combined with 2500 ft of chainlink fence that must be trimmed on both sides. On top of this they have a drainage ditch that mostly can't be mower with anything other than a push mower or weedeater. We bid $475 for both which would be 12 to 14 man hours. The low bid came in at $170 per cut. That's like $10 an hour. How do these guys make money? I just don't understand, but if they can make money they are better than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device

In Kansas City (and everywhere for that matter), all the city fathers care about is cheapest labor...period. You do not make real money, if any, winning city park contracts. I'm second, third, and fourth in line on many here in town just waiting for failures to happen. And they will, that's where some money can be made. Don't ever think you're making money as a "winner" of city contract mowing...you're kidding yourself. I know these winners and they all are broke and hanging on by their foreskin.

We've got people in KC mowing literally for free or losing their arse. Your bid makes no sense to you because you are a businessman. The guys you bid against aren't. They are hobbyists, needing to get out in the fresh air, wanting a paycheck coming in to justify their existence, needing to get away from the old lady...whatever they are, it isn't "businessmen".

I lost an incredible amount of work a couple months ago to superlowballers, and I'll be putting up Youtube videos in a week or two showing people exactly the lay of the land lowballers are willing to work and make nothing. You won't believe the tour I'll take you on and the work they won't be able to do. But the city inspectors keep accepting these lowball city bids...and the poor quality service they know is a 'com'in.

I don't recommend city/municipal bidding at the present time. Not if you want to make money. I can squeeze a lot out of a low bid, but I can't squeeze any juice out of an ignorant bid. I even had inspectors tell me that the "winners" just needed something to do...that's why they bid to win the work. You can't bid against that...

wvaughn7
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Well its not the little guy that kills it. My post about the guys with the little trailers wasn't implying that. There are just too many people that think that since they don't have the expensive mowers they don't have to charge accordingly. I am a firm believer that the guys with low overhead are the ones that will succeed. I don't get the guys with 20000 dollars worth of mowers mowing 10 or 15 yards a week. The lowballing has to stop or none of us will be out here because prices will be $10 an acre.
Posted via Mobile Device

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-02-2011, 08:17 PM
In Kansas City (and everywhere for that matter), all the city fathers care about is cheapest labor...period. You do not make real money, if any, winning city park contracts. I'm second, third, and fourth in line on many here in town just waiting for failures to happen. And they will, that's where some money can be made. Don't ever think you're making money as a "winner" of city contract mowing...you're kidding yourself. I know these winners and they all are broke and hanging on by their foreskin.

We've got people in KC mowing literally for free or losing their arse. Your bid makes no sense to you because you are a businessman. The guys you bid against aren't. They are hobbyists, needing to get out in the fresh air, wanting a paycheck coming in to justify their existence, needing to get away from the old lady...whatever they are, it isn't "businessmen".

I lost an incredible amount of work a couple months ago to superlowballers, and I'll be putting up Youtube videos in a week or two showing people exactly the lay of the land lowballers are willing to work and make nothing. You won't believe the tour I'll take you on and the work they won't be able to do. But the city inspectors keep accepting these lowball city bids...and the poor quality service they know is a 'com'in.

I don't recommend city/municipal bidding at the present time. Not if you want to make money. I can squeeze a lot out of a low bid, but I can't squeeze any juice out of an ignorant bid. I even had inspectors tell me that the "winners" just needed something to do...that's why they bid to win the work. You can't bid against that...

It's funny, but predictable. All the years I bid on these things I notice that the guys who have plenty of work elsewhere opt out or bid "not to win" the bid. They all bunch up in the center, the middle of the pack. The newbies and the guys with terrible credit and horrible financials are bidding lowball. Some of those go broke, lose everything, borrow mowers from friends or whoever and try to make a go at it. Bottomfeeders are typically what you end up with as winners on city park contracts. With few exceptions.

Few guys who have taken on city park mowing keep it for long, because they learn quickly that it isn't worth the risk. Risk of mowing in dangerous neighborhoods, lousy margins, impossible scope of service demands for the money bid, etc. We had violent crimes happen to the crew this year and the bid went 25% lower than what I had it for! And I had to squeeze to make any bank off it at that price!

Be looking for these Youtube vids because they are going to be hilarious...you're going to get the very best I have to offer on commentary.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceCan i ask type mowers you mowing with

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
It's funny, but predictable. All the years I bid on these things I notice that the guys who have plenty of work elsewhere opt out or bid "not to win" the bid. They all bunch up in the center, the middle of the pack. The newbies and the guys with terrible credit and horrible financials are bidding lowball. Some of those go broke, lose everything, borrow mowers from friends or whoever and try to make a go at it. Bottomfeeders are typically what you end up with as winners on city park contracts. With few exceptions.

Few guys who have taken on city park mowing keep it for long, because they learn quickly that it isn't worth the risk. Risk of mowing in dangerous neighborhoods, lousy margins, impossible scope of service demands for the money bid, etc. We had violent crimes happen to the crew this year and the bid went 25% lower than what I had it for! And I had to squeeze to make any bank off it at that price!

Be looking for these Youtube vids because they are going to be hilarious...you're going to get the very best I have to offer on commentary.

Here in Kirksville population of 17,000 there is 18 mowing outfits lot them don t have ins and those are ones will low ball There are buisness here don t care cheaper the better
There one company that is a non profit Goverment funded mow lawns that bids on big stuff and use push mowers and two 42'' riders they low ball one my jobs of 40 Acers I was able mow it 12 man hours Takes them 2 days 8 hr days to mow it with 8 push mower and 2 riders and only mow it every 2 weeks so you know what tall turf fescue when they are done you could bale it up Its a factory and they ok with it saves them money keeps city off there butts

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't it kind of be nice if there were a lawn union of some kind..Something that would not let prices get so low that it kills the green industries mkt. I was low balled last year saying that I did'nt take of the weeds in the grass. Well that was BULL...T. My contract didn't say anything about any fertilization or weed control. They just made up an excuse to get rid of me and now the property looks like crap. But, what is happening is that these low end mowers get the price so low that the property owner gets used to it and then you can't compete with the decline in $$$$. We all should be making at least about $50-$60 per hr. This makes up for the other 3 months wer'e not mowing. Sorry for the rant, but it's true. :dizzy:

Back in the 80s My company made out hog wild 90s did ok 2000 sucks but we do more just mow I don t know any company that just mow can stay in buisness

AllAmericanlawn
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
That is why I do not hardly ever waste my fuel going out to bid on some stuff. I will get under bid so bad here in knoxville by a Latino group that will do it for practically nothing.

If anyone employs illegals you are a freekin idiot. Not only does it take jobs away from americans, send money to mexico, etc. But you are training them to start there own lowballing business. If you think you are above that or think they wont underbid you later. you are crazy. It will catch up with all of the landscape/lawncare industry. What we are making as LCO's now is what we will be making 10 years from now. I see more and more Jose lawn care flyers with $20 prices. I dont think it will go away either. It will only get worse. They can survive on less money than we can. Free health care helps!

Southern Pride
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Welp, unfortunately, Memphis area too is CRAWLING with the lowballers. Not even that, but just LCO's of ALL different shapes and sizes.

I got a call to bid on a somewhat "rundown" Apt. Complex a couple miles from me. The entrance is like 2 football fields (one on each side) with about another football field atleast of mowing within and around the apartments. The bid is to be only for cutting/trimming and any cleanups needed seperate from there. The lady (head of the apt's) came out and at one point said
"I'd like to paying about $700/month for cuts"
and I said " Well how often do you have it cut?"
She says "Every 10 days" , Which in my mind is 3 cuts a month for $700.

So basically would you cut and trim 3 football fields, 3 times a month, for $700?
It definitely sounded a bit on the low side to me. She even said she had one guy come bid it for $700 a cut, when she meant $700/mo.

I've never bid something this big so this type scares me. I want to tell her to let us cut it at our price the first time and see where we end up on time and then I can feel comfortable signing paperwork. I'd like to realistically get it up around $900/month ($300/cut) but again she's prob used to the lowballer **** prices that "did shitty work" I hope I land it, but we'll see...For those of you that read this give me your take.

JayD
03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I got news today of one I did not get, I bid it at $120 per cut, and they said the winning bid was at $50 per cut, I'm thinking you got to be kidding me....Ther is one hour of trimming time at least.....The drainage ditch in the front would have to be mowed with a w/b for sure, the reast could be with a Z, so at least a w/b for sure. Gas just went up $0.20 in one day here to $3.55. I'm thinking they are not going to make much if any at all....

XLS
03-02-2011, 11:14 PM
southern i aint bashing at you ok your discription leads me to beleive you dont know the processes of estimating. the description of the property is shotty at best .... measure the length and width at the widest point to atleast get a rough idea of the size. then multiply it by your 1000 sq foot rate to get a rough price then do it on all your jobs and create a per 1000 sqft price average ...... then you will know if its off next time .
Ie if your per 1k rate was $2.70 and a lawn you looked at had 12000 sq foot of property then 12k x$ 2.70 = $32.40........

wvaughn7
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Not sure who asked but the mowers we are using are an MTD 54 inch zero turn and 48 inch walkbehind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
southern i aint bashing at you ok your discription leads me to beleive you dont know the processes of estimating. the description of the property is shotty at best .... measure the length and width at the widest point to atleast get a rough idea of the size. then multiply it by your 1000 sq foot rate to get a rough price then do it on all your jobs and create a per 1000 sqft price average ...... then you will know if its off next time .
Ie if your per 1k rate was $2.70 and a lawn you looked at had 12000 sq foot of property then 12k x$ 2.70 = $32.40........

You're right I have no idea how to estimate something this size. I can perfectly estimate any residential. Which is all I've ever done since I was 12, so yeah, this is new. I'm going to take pics and have a thread going before the weekend.

Lawnut101
03-03-2011, 01:50 AM
I have about 35-41 man hrs of mowing this year. My best jobs I get around $60-75/hr. The other ones, I get around $40-50/hr. Most stuff goes for $35/hr here. I won't mow for that cheap of a price. I have been focusing on landscaping, hardscaping and fertilizing/weed control. I have been in business for 3.5 years and it is finally starting to pay off. I have double the mowing as last year, and I have a lot of potential for landscaping jobs this year.

I'm not trying to brag or anything like that. I just really want to shed some positive light on a gloomy thread/situation. I've learned a lot over the past few years. I've learned that some jobs are not worth bidding on (like the municipal job you mentioned) because they are not loyal, nor do they care about quality. Everybody has to find their niche. Mine seems to be making homeowners happy and giving them a quality lawn or landscape. Taking over where a different landscaper left off is a great niche too. Some big companies send crews out to do things that they shouldn't do (like prune plants) and charge an arm and a leg. I've basically stopped trying to bid on commercial mowing, realizing they all pretty much go for cheap around here. A few places care about their lawn, but most don't. I work hard to keep my customers happy and try to be reasonable in retaining them.

Good luck to everyone reading this post. I hope your season goes well, and 2011 is a turnaround for everyone.

JayD
03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I was putting out door hangers the other day when I found one on the ground that had fallen off a mail box. It says this....$25 Includes: Mowing, Trimming, and Clearing clippings....10% Discount for Senior Citizens and Veterans...

FIREFIGHTER OWNED AND OPERATED

These are $35-$45 yards, I know because I have some there....

OH BOY! HERE WE GO...

Southern Pride
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
It's probly because landscaping isn't his "career" so he can just throw whatever on those flyers, with no overhead, $25/hr to him is like $35-40/hr to most of us. Think bout' it.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I was putting out door hangers the other day when I found one on the ground that had fallen off a mail box. It says this....$25 Includes: Mowing, Trimming, and Clearing clippings....10% Discount for Senior Citizens and Veterans...

FIREFIGHTER OWNED AND OPERATED

These are $35-$45 yards, I know because I have some there....

OH BOY! HERE WE GO...

$25/cut is here to stay. Firemen have their jobs...firefighting. They use mowing as a way to make easy money and can use the "firefighter" angle in their marketing. I had a fireman work for me last year, and he started off good but faded quickly. They ain't all that and a bag 'o chips. Doesn't matter...lowballers will get the lawns and you'll never see them back. I've got more expensive lawns right next to lowball lawns...you think I'm gonna let them know? No way. I'll take all I can for as long as I can. When he makes the call that others are charging less, that's when we'll talk. Not until. Eventually, all of us will be charging $25 per lawn or we won't be mowing residentials. KC is full of insured, experienced crews willing to mow grass for $25 per.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
it's probly because landscaping isn't his "career" so he can just throw whatever on those flyers, with no overhead, $25/hr to him is like $35-40/hr to most of us. Think bout' it.

mexicans and hobbyists, as i call 'em, are here to stay. They see $25 per lawn as good money. You and i see it as minimum wage. I guarantee you that i could find a guy to mow it for $15...look at craigslist. There's guys in there that mow basically for free.

Field King
03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Welp, unfortunately, Memphis area too is CRAWLING with the lowballers. Not even that, but just LCO's of ALL different shapes and sizes.

I got a call to bid on a somewhat "rundown" Apt. Complex a couple miles from me. The entrance is like 2 football fields (one on each side) with about another football field atleast of mowing within and around the apartments. The bid is to be only for cutting/trimming and any cleanups needed seperate from there. The lady (head of the apt's) came out and at one point said
"I'd like to paying about $700/month for cuts"
and I said " Well how often do you have it cut?"
She says "Every 10 days" , Which in my mind is 3 cuts a month for $700.

So basically would you cut and trim 3 football fields, 3 times a month, for $700?
It definitely sounded a bit on the low side to me. She even said she had one guy come bid it for $700 a cut, when she meant $700/mo.

I've never bid something this big so this type scares me. I want to tell her to let us cut it at our price the first time and see where we end up on time and then I can feel comfortable signing paperwork. I'd like to realistically get it up around $900/month ($300/cut) but again she's prob used to the lowballer **** prices that "did shitty work" I hope I land it, but we'll see...For those of you that read this give me your take.

the lady property manager tried the old trick of "power of suggestion" on you, she tried to pin a price she was happy with in your head, ignore that and develop a consistent pricing formula of time/measurment etc. and bid YOUR price, not hers!

lifetree
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
It's getting to the point that commercial properties aren't even worth looking at. ... I think we are just going to stay with small properties and people that care what their yard looks like.

I agree !!

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 12:26 AM
$25/cut is here to stay. Firemen have their jobs...firefighting. They use mowing as a way to make easy money and can use the "firefighter" angle in their marketing. I had a fireman work for me last year, and he started off good but faded quickly. They ain't all that and a bag 'o chips. Doesn't matter...lowballers will get the lawns and you'll never see them back. I've got more expensive lawns right next to lowball lawns...you think I'm gonna let them know? No way. I'll take all I can for as long as I can. When he makes the call that others are charging less, that's when we'll talk. Not until. Eventually, all of us will be charging $25 per lawn or we won't be mowing residentials. KC is full of insured, experienced crews willing to mow grass for $25 per.

I really don't have a problem with it because a $25 lawn cut will look like a $25 lawn cut. Plenty of my customers know the difference that I make and why they're paying me for it. Hell, I just got a new customer that fired his $25 guy for me because he knows my work. I am about to be on the fire dept. here in May, and yes you see alot of firemen out doing landscaping because it goes hand in hand with their schedules. I too will probably use the firemen angle in my business name as well and there sure isn't anything wrong with that. People are proud to hire firemen because of the job they do and don't get paid anymore than a glorified lawn boy risking their asses every day. You don't see plumbers or aircraft mechanics using that image in business...Just saying. You shouldn't (atleast I don't) feel competition really from any lowballers if your work is as good as you say/think it is. I'm not talking just to you "Recession Proof Mowing" lol Everyone.

the lady property manager tried the old trick of "power of suggestion" on you, she tried to pin a price she was happy with in your head, ignore that and develop a consistent pricing formula of time/measurment etc. and bid YOUR price, not hers!

You better believe I know that. I can't wait until I call her up tomorrow to give her her bid she's gonna need an ambulance and the fire dept. out there after that. I'm also going to explain to her why she wasn't happy with her last company. She said they cost too much but I can guarantee she wasn't paying them near enough either for that dump of an apartment complex. I could care less If I get it or not. Really don't need it, but basically, If she isn't willing to pay MY price for the type of quality work both she wants, and that place deserves, then she would of just been a headache customer anyways.

JayD
03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
I really don't have a problem with it because a $25 lawn cut will look like a $25 lawn cut. Plenty of my customers know the difference that I make and why they're paying me for it. Hell, I just got a new customer that fired his $25 guy for me because he knows my work. I am about to be on the fire dept. here in May, and yes you see alot of firemen out doing landscaping because it goes hand in hand with their schedules. I too will probably use the firemen angle in my business name as well and there sure isn't anything wrong with that. People are proud to hire firemen because of the job they do and don't get paid anymore than a glorified lawn boy risking their asses every day. You don't see plumbers or aircraft mechanics using that image in business...Just saying. You shouldn't (atleast I don't) feel competition really from any lowballers if your work is as good as you say/think it is. I'm not talking just to you "Recession Proof Mowing" lol Everyone.

You better believe I know that. I can't wait until I call her up tomorrow to give her her bid she's gonna need an ambulance and the fire dept. out there after that. I'm also going to explain to her why she wasn't happy with her last company. She said they cost too much but I can guarantee she wasn't paying them near enough either for that dump of an apartment complex. I could care less If I get it or not. Really don't need it, but basically, If she isn't willing to pay MY price for the type of quality work both she wants, and that place deserves, then she would of just been a headache customer anyways.

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that firemen get paid about as much as a lawn care guy? If that is what your saying, then why would a guy pick that job to risk his life every day for that little pay? I don't get it!

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that firemen get paid about as much as a lawn care guy? If that is what your saying, then why would a guy pick that job to risk his life every day for that little pay? I don't get it!

That's funny you ask that. It takes a special kind of person to become a firefighter. Sure, everyone and their brother at some point has wanted to be one but the real truths of the job are what really make you or break you. Being in EMS, paramedic, or firemen is not about that money. To me, landscaping is just something I love to do as well as operate a business. The money can be okay at times but firefighting is a passion, sure as hell ain't about some damn $. Firemen don't run into burning buildings because the city is paying them enough to, it's just some type of driving force inside me (us). Also, it is EXTREMELY difficult to actually get hired as a career firefighter. There are a million hoops to jump through. EMT class is required as well as working (volunteer) for free at a dept. for an undetermined amount of time. Then, I also have to become a paramedic (which is like going through nursing school) So yea, we do it because it's what we're passionate about.

I'm not trying to get all deep about it but I thought this may offer some perspective for you. Base level fireman makes ab $14-15/hr ha, and if you work in the E.R. you're up more near $20/hr. This right here is the first thing we talked about in my EMT class in August. This job could be the farthest career choice for people who wanna make a dollar. Here it is March and I haven't thought twice about it. Well all my friends are funneling brews on panama beach, I'll be on an ambulance giving people IV's as part of my clinicals for class.

XLS
03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
JayD you said this so i want to ask you not targeting for a bash just making sure i understand how you think is all. You said the 25.00 guy was pricing where you know its 40.00 lawns right , now ...........who is to say exactly that its a 40.00 lawn .... truth is we do alot of 25.00 lawns ALOT and its not low balling so how big are these $40.00 lawns if its a mow and go we can go along way on $40.00 how big ???5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40k +

XLS
03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
also JayD on these $40.00 lawns how much cheaper would your opperating cost be if your setup price including truck was $11500.00 or 4000.00 for the mowing rig itself>>???

TheBetterDoorhanger
03-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi Lawnsite Members! Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads.

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well as custom design services)

5,000 only $349 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $199 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock
ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

TheBetterDoorhanger
03-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi Lawnsite Members! Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads.

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well as custom design services)

5,000 only $295 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $189 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING & STICK-IT INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock

ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com