PDA

View Full Version : Bagging Grass Clippings

MICHPLOWER
03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I am just starting out this coming spring was wondering if you guys could help me out or give your input. I got pretty much all my pricing down but how much to charge if a customer wants their grass bagged.

I was wondering how much extra do you guys charge to bag grass?
I was thinking $7.00 - $10.00(depending on the size of lawn) Bigger yard more money.

Thanks for any input or help

michics
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Can't help you on the pricing, but some questions need to be asked. Will you dump the clippings on the property somewhere ? Will they go into yard bags to be placed on the street ? Will you remove from the property and then need to dispose of them ? Cost to dispose ? Labor, Labor, Labor.

ed2hess
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
We found that just saying $5 was enough to back our customers away from bagging. No bagging anymore for the most part.....mulchers do a great job.

gebby
03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I bag quite a bit. If you are going to haul away to dump later, Do your self a favor to haul the bags. Go to the feed store and get some poly feed bags, cut them in half and then sew 2 bags together. Of course keep the tops open to fill and dump out. These bags will last you several years if kept and taken care of. No tash bags this way. The bags can really take a lot of abuse and wont fall apart in your hands. I use them when cutting shrubs, doing leaves too. You can fill them up, you also can lay them down around the shubs to help with clean up. Just roll up the bags, slip the whole thing in the top and unroll in the bag. You will soon realize that bagging does take a lot of extra work. Spring time is really a killer. If it were me I would charge 2-4 dollars extra for each one of those bags. If possible dump at the location. I have one customer that like to put the grass clippings around his tomato plants. Mulch and discharge as much as you can. Good Luck !!

ncknaklawns
03-02-2011, 12:58 AM
I bag all my lawns. I build a wood frame on th eback of my truck and haul between 8-15 cu yds of grass to the town recycling dump each week -3 loads. This costs me $700 each yr. With 60 customers thats $11.66 avg without gas and labor for the season. The round trip is 1.5 gallons x 60 times and at $3.50 gal is $5.25 avg for the 60 customers. I have a loadhandler and 3, 55Gal garbage cans near the cab (makes it quicker to unload) 10minutes for 5 cu yds. So 60 times at $40/hr is $400 and is $6.67 avg per customer. So for the season it works out to 11.66+5.25+6.67= $24 per customer. It does take some time to unload while cutting but I go full speed unless its raining and never cut twice. If you have fewer customers the price will be more. Also I weight the amount per customer by cutting time and grass thickness/growth so the hevy big lawns pay more and the weak thin fast ones pay less. It really doesn't add that much to the bill. Plus it keeps some customers happy.

Baytownlawncare
03-02-2011, 06:31 AM
I just charge a stupid amount and that keeps most clients from wanting it

BradLewisLawnCare
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I bag everything and put ads on craigslist offering free grass clippings. organic farmers love this stuff. keeps the grass looking clean and neat. Have a lot of smaller houses on 70x150 ft properties So it is about 1 lawn bag per house. occasionally i will just dump into the back of the pickup while doing the route and dump later in the day.

Lurch01
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Hope I don't have to do much bagging. I just installed mulch kits on both mowers. I could bag with the 21 I guess. That s would be fast if the lawn was cut. It would just suck it up I hope.

Then we must use these environmentally disposable bags sold by the city of Houston.

Good Luck

jgoddard8409
03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
1$ per bag = 1 dump from my bagger 3cuft, I could fit more per bag but I dont, so I actually make $$...LOL

I also leave on the curb for county pick up, except for elite clients.

This year I am running a mulching kit for the first time...no mo bags..no mo clipping in beds..lovin life:cool2:

XLS
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
on a push mower sized bagger we do $2.50 per dump and on our walkers we get $ 5.00 per dump for just the clippings, and 10.00 per dump on leaves we dont have any disposal fees if we did it would be more .

XLS
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
we will be running gator mulching blades on our ghs decks and will be closing our shoot baffles this year so it will help on the amount of grass we are hauling .

THIESSENS TLC
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
in canada ontario we dont have dump fees for grass clippings or any yard waste for that fact....but this year (2011) they wont be accepting any grass clippings, so we have no choice but to mulch the grass, which is fine by me.

doyles
03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
You should figure out how much additional time it will take to bag the grass.