PDA

View Full Version : Is it to late to pick up lawns?

Coumbe
09-14-2002, 10:28 PM
Is it to late to pick up lawns? This is my first year and I need more lawns. If you don't get em' in spring do you have much hope of getting any now?

TurfGuyTX
09-14-2002, 10:32 PM
It may not be the easiest time of year to pick them up, but they can be picked up anytime of year with some effort. Ask your customers for referrals. You'd be surprised at what they can do for you if they like your work. Good luck.

TurfGuyTX
09-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Where in Texas? I may be able to send some work your way.

kris
09-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Many property management companies with tender out in the fall for the following season.

lawnkid
09-14-2002, 10:35 PM
I would try and get some leaf clean-ups and when people see what kind of job you do they'll consider you for the springtime. Good Luck

AielLandscaping
09-14-2002, 10:38 PM
that really depends on your season, i'm year round and pick up lawn customers in the middle of winter. but if the season is coming to a close for you pretty soon you might want to consider finding a different job to supplement your income until next season. i wouldn't spend any money at this time of year to try to pick up regular lawn customers.. it would mostlikely be a waste

BRIAN GALLO
09-14-2002, 10:47 PM
I've picked up new customers this time of year. Sometimes people don't like the job their current lco is doing and want to pre-shop for next season. Other times the guy they have now might be just plain tired out and is starting to slack it and not come out on schedule, etc. Put some flyers around and ask for customer refferals.

Good luck! ;)

gravedigger5
09-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Picked up a residential yesterday, and another one two weeks ago. Also been doing more than normal amount of one timers lately. You never know, an account you pick up now might become one of your best customers. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:p

Coumbe
09-14-2002, 10:58 PM
I am in the Lake Conroe / Woodlands area. What area are you in?

TurfGuyTX
09-14-2002, 11:03 PM
I'm in Fort Worth. We do work all or DFW. I have a friend in that area. I'll call him Monday and see if he has anything.

Coumbe
09-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Thank you for your help. Next year I will not be in this boat. I am learning from my mistakes.

wrtenterprises
09-15-2002, 09:05 AM
I average at least a couple of new year round accounts this time of year. Usually it starts as a Fall clean-up, and when they see quality work most tend to stay. Last year I picked up (6) new accounts in the October timeframe alone. I still have them all....

W.R. Thompson

walker-talker
09-15-2002, 11:36 AM
I picked up 7 in the last 6 weeks, all referalls or people that saw me in the neighborhood.

MATT

rodfather
09-15-2002, 12:38 PM
We pick up lawns 12 months of the year...people relocate, change LCO's, decide they don't want to cut it themself anymore, teenage is going off to college, don't have the time to do it, etc.

Referrals (asking for them) is a great way to pick up new accounts.

LAWNS AND MOWER
09-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Coumbe
Is it to late to pick up lawns? This is my first year and I need more lawns. If you don't get em' in spring do you have much hope of getting any now?
Sept. is normally my third best month, behind April and May, to pick up new accounts. Wanna be lco's burn out, Joe College goes back to school, or High School kid's hormones begin to kick in and would rather look at girls at cheerleader practice instead of mowing. I have all I need, but my motto is "I always have room for 1 more" if I like the yard and /or customer. Word of mouth is my only advertising. Good luck!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

RMDoyon
09-15-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm with Lawns and Mower

I've picked up as much business in the last two weeks as I have in the first six months of this year. Part from direct mail advertising and part from dissatisfied homeowners.
I had the same experience last year.

If you are thinking about spending money on advertising this is one of the best times of the year to do so.

Roger
09-15-2002, 03:52 PM
If you have the capacity, take any you can get that YOU WANT. I've always picked up some in late Summer, early Fall because of college students returning to school. This year in SW PA has been very poor season because of lack of rain. I know of some contractors that have gone out of business. Customers still need mowing services for the rest of the season. This is a chance for determining if you want them permanently next season. If they are not good properties, bad customers, etc, then don't continue with them next season -- the last couple of months provide a 'trial' period.

Coumbe
09-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Good news. I will be putting some effort into picking up lawn very soon. Thank all of you for your insight.

jocko1104
09-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Hell yes! Anytime is a good time to go after new customers. Here in Austin I mow all year. usually the monthlys turn into every other week. And you can always do one timers.

Hodge
09-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Went and helped out a fellow lawn care company..he was just too busy. Picked up that account and 4 others in the same area since another lco quit mid season.... it is never too late in the season to pickup customers... better building block for next season..

Happy Hunting:D

MJStrain
09-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Coumbe

I say it's never too late...Two weeks ago I picked up a management company with 26 properties...it's my biggest if not most profitable account.

LAWNS AND MOWER
09-20-2002, 12:44 PM
I just put in a bid for a large group of condo's. Bunch of retired doctors and lawyers. Could just smell the money walking the property. Their current lco quit on them last week. Priced it pretty high since I'm not hurting for work and since I know the president of the POA pretty well, I'm confident I'll land this account. He's seen my work at other places and is impressed. Our mowing season only has 6 weeks left, but if I get this account, it will set me up well for the spring. I'm already starting my short list of which PITA accounts will be dropped next season.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Grasshog
09-20-2002, 10:11 PM
you have to have hope. A lot of peoples contracts run out in the fall. Just about every commercial account Ive have bid on has been in the fall.

Good luck and Good huntin

tailoredlook
09-21-2002, 01:46 PM
It's never too late. Just look at it this way, you're getting an early start on next year.