PDA

View Full Version : DOT regulations In PA

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey guys I been looking around for information on this DOT situation. I want to know I am in PA and I have a 3500 dump with a 12k gvrw and I am pulling a trailing with A 6990 gvrw What all do I need to be legal in PA I have talked to 2 cops and DMv and get different answers from everyone. Thanks in advance!! Any help would be great already getting my PA contractors license for the side so that is not an issue! Thanks again

Evan528
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
You will continue to get different answers from everyone you talk to...especially every cop. Here is what you need as far I understand it.... I have been trying to gather info lately to make sure I'm 100% in compliance myself. They sure don't make it easy...

You will need a DOT# posted on the truck because its a commercial truck over 10,000 LBS

Because your combo is over 17,000 LBS you will need the following-

Medical card
Fire extinguisher
Safety triangles
Extra fuses

I could be forgetting something.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks alot for the information! they do make it a real PITA they want everyone to be legit but its hard to find out HOW to be legit.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Evan OR anyone Can you direct me where to go to get a DOT number online or a local place. Thanks in advance.

Evan528
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
here is the website to register online. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I just did that step by step thing IT says I do not need to register ? maybe I selected something wrong?

93Chevy
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Jeremy, you don't need to register.

In PA, you don't need DOT numbers over 10k gvw, unless you're going out of state for business. But that's a Federal law, not a PA reg.

Some construction and larger Landscape companies have DOT numbers because they do work in Ohio or WV. But I see dozens upon dozens of single and tandem axle dumps and trailers with no DOT numbers because they're only working in PA.

ColvinsPS
03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I would like to know as well because i run a f350 dump with 11kgvw and i think my trailer is a 7k or 10k not sure. I know it isn't over 10k.

Jpeg what is the contractor's license and who is required to have one? I would like to know if i should have one of those too?

93Chevy
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I would like to know as well because i run a f350 dump with 11kgvw and i think my trailer is a 7k or 10k not sure. I know it isn't over 10k.

Jpeg what is the contractor's license and who is required to have one? I would like to know if i should have one of those too?

A PA Home Improvement Contractor's License (PA HIC) is required if you do jobs over $500 in "home improvement," including but not limited to landscape installs, walls, patios, walks, etc.

It is not required for maintenance like mulching or grass cutting or pruning.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Tim how sure are you I do not need this ?

And Colvin the contractor number your suppose to register in PA to let them know your a legit buisness type in pa contractor liscense in goole and it will direct you to read about it. ITs only 50 dollars.

ColvinsPS
03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying. That may be something i pursue for next year as i haven't marketed that very much but want to move into more installs in the future.

Where do you apply for that? Could it be through the local town/city office or is it online?
Sorry for the slight derail

93Chevy
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm like Adrian Monk; I'm 100% sure...probably.

93Chevy
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying. That may be something i pursue for next year as i haven't marketed that very much but want to move into more installs in the future.

Where do you apply for that? Could it be through the local town/city office or is it online?
Sorry for the slight derail

You apply for it through the pa attorney general's office online.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Tim seriously, I been trying to find info on this subject and I cant seem to find it I have heard since my dump is gvw at 12k and trailer at 7k thats 19k I have heard over 17k you need a dot.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I got my contractor license just to have it, Its only 50 dollars I do not do any installs yet but, I have it just in case now.

ColvinsPS
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the help. I registered my business and got my sales tax id # and i thought that's all i had to do but ill check into the contractor's license.

Also if you find anything else out about the dot thing i would like to know as well. I heard that it gets tricky once you get into combination weight but i have also heard any trailer over 10k you need dot #'s or special licenses. It is so confusing!

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Ya the worst part is they want you to go by the laws but you cant find any information out about the LAWS it is truely ridiculous !!!!

ParkWelding
03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
ANY TRUCK OR TRUCK TRAILER COMBINATION OVER 10000# NEEDS usdot number on the truck. This is simple and is needed in 32 of the 50 states. FMCSA website shows PA as one of them.

ColvinsPS
03-03-2011, 07:28 AM
So my dad's non-business f350 needs a dot number for going around town and to home depot? This is where it is more confusing.
My dad took his truck with our old tri axle trailer (18k) and asked them what he needed. He told them he would haul some cars every now and then. They said you are good to go. No dot, no combination whatever, nothing.

93Chevy
03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Tim seriously, I been trying to find info on this subject and I cant seem to find it I have heard since my dump is gvw at 12k and trailer at 7k thats 19k I have heard over 17k you need a dot.

They must have changed PA, I don't understand though, a year ago you didn't need DOT numbers over 10k in PA for intrastate commerce, just interstate.

But according to FMSCA you now need DOT numbers.

Sorry; I didn't realize the regs changes in the last 2 years.

93Chevy
03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
So my dad's non-business f350 needs a dot number for going around town and to home depot? This is where it is more confusing.
My dad took his truck with our old tri axle trailer (18k) and asked them what he needed. He told them he would haul some cars every now and then. They said you are good to go. No dot, no combination whatever, nothing.

No, because your dad's truck isn't part of intrastate or interstate commerce. It's just a personal vehicle.

ColvinsPS
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
ok so this would be for any business vehicle that is over 10kgvw itself or truck and trailer gvw is over 10k together? I checked the dot website before but it was not clear at all.

93Chevy
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
ok so this would be for any business vehicle that is over 10kgvw itself or truck and trailer gvw is over 10k together? I checked the dot website before but it was not clear at all.

Yes...10k truck only or 10k truck and trailer combo.

And I'm still confused on the whole PA DOT regs...they didn't use to be required but I guess now they are...I wonder how much bad info I've given out.

ColvinsPS
03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
It's Crazy because you talk to local notary and they have no clue, State Police say one thing, DMV another thing, and online... yet something else. You don't know who to truly listen to. I really want to be compliant and i see tons of local guys pulling mowing trailers and no dot or anything.

I am going to try and investigate some more locally too.

Thanks for all the help!

Duffster
03-06-2011, 04:29 PM

It doesn't need a USDOT number but it does need a CDL.

They must have changed PA, I don't understand though, a year ago you didn't need DOT numbers over 10k in PA for intrastate commerce, just interstate.

But according to FMSCA you now need DOT numbers.

Sorry; I didn't realize the regs changes in the last 2 years.

They changed earlier last year IIRC. previously it was 17k now it is 10k like the rest of us.

If the GVWR/GCWR/GVW/GCVW is over 10k then you are in the sweet spot. Or not so sweet depends on how you look at it. :laugh:

It also doesn't strictly mean business use. Personal use is exempt but towing races cars for example isn't.

93Chevy
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
They changed earlier last year IIRC. previously it was 17k now it is 10k like the rest of us.

Oh man, I can't keep anything straight. I thought I had all the answers and now I'm ignorant like everybody else :cry::cry:

Duffster
03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
ANY TRUCK OR TRUCK TRAILER COMBINATION OVER 10000# NEEDS usdot number on the truck. This is simple and is needed in 32 of the 50 states. FMCSA website shows PA as one of them.

That map from the FMCSA isn't 100% accurate.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I am so ignorant to the whole thing. I think I will see what happens if I get pulled over learn from the fine and get what I need.