PDA

View Full Version : Whos got a Stand-on

Two Rivers
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
If you have a Toro Grand Stand, Exmark Vantage or Scag V Ride.. Give your input pros/cons.. and how many fit on the trailer.. These mowers are new to my area and would appericate your opinion :waving:

Baytownlawncare
03-02-2011, 07:34 AM
If you have a Toro Grand Stand, Exmark Vantage or Scag V Ride.. Give your input pros/cons.. and how many fit on the trailer.. These mowers are new to my area and would appericate your opinion :waving:

I picked up Scag V-ride last week. It has taken some getting used to but I have pretty much mastered the controls (never driven a zero turn until last week). The front end will pop up when I load it on the trailer if I am standing on it. I just walk behind it and load it. It seems really solid and look forward to cutting some of my larger properties with it soon.

Williams-Landscaping
03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I picked up my 48" v ride last week and love it. I back mine onto the trailer makes loading and unloading easier
Posted via Mobile Device

yard_dawg
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
got my 36 inch v ride last week for back yards with small gates. yes it will pop the front wheels up when loading, we just back ours on to the truck each time.

Puckdropper23
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Great tips....I just bought a 48" V-Ride last week, but havent taken possession yet. I hadn't thought about backing it onto the trailer but I will certainly give it a try.

delphied
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a 48 Grandstand . Small footprint with the fold up platform. Only way to go for smaller lawns and versatility on hills and around ditches. I used to have an Exmark TTHP WB with a Proslide. I would never go back to a WB or a sulkie or a Proslide.

robertsturf
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Have 3 GS's right now have had 4 and 3 Wrights, 1 Great Dane and 1 JD Quik Trac. Only way to fly for 3 acres and under in this area.

joemower
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I have used the 2 Grandstands in our fleet for the past two seasons. Love them. Have two more on order. We can fit a 52" GS, 48" GS, a 48" Walker, and 2 Toro push mowers on a 16' landscape bed truck. You should be able to put at least three GS on an average trailer.

I have used both Grandstands & V-Rides. They both cut excellent. V-Rides are faster but more suited for a fleet mower. I prefer the Grandstands for their operator comfort. Either or would be a great investment. Try them all out for yourself to see which one best suites your needs. From my experience I think the stand-ons are here to stay.

f50lvr2
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I've always been a walk-behind type of guy and still think for smaller residential applications they are unbeatable. But, last year I bought an Exmark Vantage (52", 24hp) and have been very pleased.

Just like you would expect they bridge the gap between wb's and sit down ztr's. Cut quality is excellent although I do wish the 52" had available anti-scalp wheels. The comfort is the main reason I switched, I was getting too tired with the wb's and beaten up on the riders. My back pain has virtually been eliminated. Also, the weight is pretty good in that it doesn't sink in too much.

Exmark advertises that you can use the vantage as a walk-behind by folding the platform up. You can, but traction suffers dramatically. When standing on it the hillside stability is very good. My main complaints are that it doesn't stripe as well as I would have hoped, it's a bit of a gas hog with the 24hp kawasaki, and the bagging options aren't great (although no worse than a walk-behind).

Overall I like the stander-style machine, especially if you have a bad back. My Exmark was around $7k out the door. I consider it a good value compared to a full-featured rider and am happy with it overall.

integrityman
03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Bump for more responses..... Whats better The Grandstand or Vantage?

f50lvr2
03-09-2011, 12:55 AM

Whichever you can get a better deal on. There isn't much to separate the two except for the deck. They each use their own design, some people swear by the Toro deck some by the Exmark.

I chose exmark because the dealer support is better and they sold it to me for about $1400 less than the Toro.

Florida Gardener
03-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I own a 36 wright stander fixed deck and it is a great machine. Compact, easiy maneuverable, etc. It doesn't beat my toro zmaster on cut quality, but it is close!
Posted via Mobile Device

joemower
03-09-2011, 07:31 AM

I would go with the Grandstand. I have used both deck styles before and in my opinion the Toro deck does has a little better cut quality. Toro also has a excelent mulching kit that actually works well. The other thing to consider is that Toro has more deck size options. For some reason Exmark just can't get their 60" deck to work and they certainly have had long enough to do it... The 2011 Toro GS's have a redesined cables for the hydro controls which is much inproved and in my mind has eliminated any advantage that the Vantage had over the Grandstand. My vote is for the Toro but they are both owned and made by the same Co. essentially so it is really up to personal preference, price, and dealer service.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Well...Many guys dont know it but really Toro And Exmark are the same really....Toro Owns exmark.
So really its all about the buyers name preference! I personally like Exmark Better....
What happens is, Toro Comes out with a Mower- lets say the Grandstand. They wait and see if it "takes off" If so they Come out with it Under Exmark's Name also. Thats why the Vantage came out after the grandstand!

delphied
04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Well...Many guys dont know it but really Toro And Exmark are the same really....Toro Owns exmark.
So really its all about the buyers name preference! I personally like Exmark Better....
What happens is, Toro Comes out with a Mower- lets say the Grandstand. They wait and see if it "takes off" If so they Come out with it Under Exmark's Name also. Thats why the Vantage came out after the grandstand!

Oh, so the deck and everything is the same?

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM

I think so!
My Vantage is at Weingartz ready to go! I might get it tomorrow if im not too lazy!

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Wait what the he.l am i saying!?!?!? lol the only thing that is different is the decks!

touhey33
04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I've got the 52" vride. I don't have a problem with the deck popping up but maybe thats just the 36". So far its been great, I've run a 48" cub tank and have been runing 52' ferris dd walkbehind. The cut on the vride is the best and I don't have to double cut near as much as I did with the other two. The mower handles better then a z and just as good as the walkbehinds but with a smaller footprint. The ride is more comfortable then a sulky. Its also better on a hill then a z.

joemower
04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Wait what the he.l am i saying!?!?!? lol the only thing that is different is the decks!

Take a closer look... Not only is the deck different, but the last time I looked the control systems are different from the handles down to the pumps. The Toro use cables where Exmark uses rods. Older Toros have the speed lever were Exmark has a adjustable front stop handle (an accident waiting to happen...). On the new Toro's they speed them up by moving the front bar 1/2inch further and put improved cables and linkage on them. I was also told by an Exmark dealer that the hydros are different too but I can't vouch for that. Still in my opinion I prefer the 2011 Toro's over the Exmark. Yes the same Co. but the Grandstand is a bit more refined and has more deck sizes.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Take a closer look... Not only is the deck different, but the last time I looked the control systems are different from the handles down to the pumps. The Toro use cables where Exmark uses rods. Older Toros have the speed lever were Exmark has a adjustable front stop handle (an accident waiting to happen...). On the new Toro's they speed them up by moving the front bar 1/2inch further and put improved cables and linkage on them. I was also told by an Exmark dealer that the hydros are different too but I can't vouch for that. Still in my opinion I prefer the 2011 Toro's over the Exmark. Yes the same Co. but the Grandstand is a bit more refined and has more deck sizes.

Yeah u might be right im no sales rep. i just go from what i experience and hear.
And For me im about to get my vantage 52" I said "Who cares whats one extra path on a House?"

lawnkingforever
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I love my Toro GS. It is so much faster and easier to turn than my WB. It is also a much more comfortable ride. I thought rutting would be an issue, but it is not. With the wide tires, it is not any worse than my WB. After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.

delphied
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.

That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.

joemower
04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.

Well put! Going in two my 3rd season with our fleet of Grandstands and we feel comfortable enough to take on most hills. There are some hills where we all should realize that they all just too steep and dangerous to be riding on. Also turf on these types of hills are regularly damaged by those trying to cut corners and use the wrong piece of equipment on them.

The GS's will do more than you may feel comfortable doing but that is a good thing. They definitely for us do more hills than a typical mid mount Lazer Z would. For all the large hills that the GS can't handle and are just too large of an area to push mow or string trim we use our Walker Super B. I swear it must have some mountain goat in it's DNA. But for those who still want to live live dangerously... here are a few tips on how to effectively use a GS on hills. First always have an exit strategy should you find yourself getting into trouble. Second, always stand on the platform and shift your weight to the uphill side to get more pressure to the top tire that want's to slip. Third, mow from the bottom of the hill and work your way up aways turning up hill (like a lazer once you turn downhill you lose your traction). Last but certainly most important, know when is when! Don't be ridiculous! There are times when you just need to use a push mower or string trimmer.*trucewhiteflag*

mowerbrad
04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.

BestImpressions99
04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Joe, you forgot option 5. While on the platform take your other foot and swing it around to put it on the top of the front wheel... now your surfing.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.

HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Just picked up our 2011 Grand Stand last week. Used it the first time on a residential lot and then used it on a huge field. I'm not going to push it just yet. Going to get more comfortable with it before I try to do a couple of hills that are tricky. But ultimately I LOVE the mower.

The Turbo Force deck is awesome and cuts cleanly at full power. I think we're convinced that the GS was sent to us to replace our rider. We have a subcompact (Series 300Z) and the GS is very comparable to the ZTR on cutting speed. One of the other things that convinced us to go with the GS is the single deck that Toro uses for almost ALL their mowers. The other was price. There was only about a $500 price difference between the GS and a WB.

lawnkingforever
04-23-2011, 02:05 PM
That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.

It is quite hard to operate without a pushmower on your trailer in western PA. The GS for what it is, does very well on most hills. But there are plenty of steep grades that I encounter where the GS could not be operated safely on them. My WB is a much safer choice for these areas.

mowerbrad
04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.

They are just shaky on the controls... I really dont know why they are but im the only one who uses the stander.. Im the owner and one of the full time operators also so it doesnt bother me letting them use the ZTR While i use the stander.
If you have a stander you will know its a type of difference in controls you cant explain. It took be about a hour to get used to the controls but thats just me....
On my JD 667 if you pushed the controls one inch it flys! So they end up tearing more grass up then they cut.... While me 14 year old worker can handle this mower like a pro. Pathetic!

grass-scapes
04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Ive got 2 wright stander fixed deck 52 inch. Had them for almost 4 years now. Just picked up a new v-ride 52 inch to replace the older stander. Stander is shorter, lighter, and a bit more maneuverable, but the v-ride has them beat with cut quality and speed. Comfort is better too, but it feels heavier when turning. Ive only had it less than 2 weeks now so I am just getting used to it. I can move the stander around just like I am walking a yard...

The only reason I didn't get another stander is that the dealer for wright in our area is no more. I wanted the zk when I demo'd it when it first came out, but alas, no dealer in this area within a reasonable distance.

I demo'd both the Grandstand and the v-ride and found the cut to be better on the v-ride but the Grandstand was smoother to operate.

regl
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Well put! Going in two my 3rd season with our fleet of Grandstands and we feel comfortable enough to take on most hills. There are some hills where we all should realize that they all just too steep and dangerous to be riding on. Also turf on these types of hills are regularly damaged by those trying to cut corners and use the wrong piece of equipment on them.

The GS's will do more than you may feel comfortable doing but that is a good thing. They definitely for us do more hills than a typical mid mount Lazer Z would. For all the large hills that the GS can't handle and are just too large of an area to push mow or string trim we use our Walker Super B. I swear it must have some mountain goat in it's DNA. But for those who still want to live live dangerously... here are a few tips on how to effectively use a GS on hills. First always have an exit strategy should you find yourself getting into trouble. Second, always stand on the platform and shift your weight to the uphill side to get more pressure to the top tire that want's to slip. Third, mow from the bottom of the hill and work your way up aways turning up hill (like a lazer once you turn downhill you lose your traction). Last but certainly most important, know when is when! Don't be ridiculous! There are times when you just need to use a push mower or string trimmer.*trucewhiteflag*

For several years I've used a TTHP with Proslide. I like this set up because I can step off and walk when needed. Can you step off and walk behind the GS? Thanks.

grassman177
04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
of course everyone has there opinions for there own conditions. i do like one thing about wrights and that is the even placement of the castor wheels and the sides of the deck. almost impossible to scalp with at higher cutting.

the toro has a trim side that is more exposed which is very helpful, but makes it easier to scalp with on that side.

Lawnut101
04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I have a 52" Exmark, and I really like it. I haven't found many things that I don't like about it. Leaves a superior cut, cuts fast, and is nice and smooth to operate.

docjones
04-24-2011, 01:43 AM
For all the great things I've heard about Turbo Force decks, how come I hear a lot of you guys with the Grandstands saying they don't stripe well? I am looking to buy a Grandstand soon, but I really hate to think I'm gonna have to either make my own stripe kit or buy one from Toro.

delphied
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
For several years I've used a TTHP with Proslide. I like this set up because I can step off and walk when needed. Can you step off and walk behind the GS? Thanks.

I had the same set up. I replaced it with the GS. I would never ever go back to a Proslide. The TTHP would spin out on wet grass or extremely dry grass. I banged my shins occasionally. The GS leaves a nicer cut. You can step off the GS and use a WB but you seldom need to. Im not touting Toro but I am touting stand ons. They are great compared to even the best WB.

BigMike450
04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I've had a 48" GS since they came out and just recently purchased another 48" w/24hp motor and a 36" all have the OCDC. I have been happy the first 48" and very impressed by the 36" speed and maneuverability. I could not imagine going back to a walk behind or even back to the Scag tiger cub rider I started out with. The tiger cub used to beat the crap out of my back and hips.

I have a 16' enclosed trailr with 2 x 48" and one 36" on board with plenty of room for everything out. I know there is a striping kit available but don't really see the need.

joemower
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
For all the great things I've heard about Turbo Force decks, how come I hear a lot of you guys with the Grandstands saying they don't stripe well? I am looking to buy a Grandstand soon, but I really hate to think I'm gonna have to either make my own stripe kit or buy one from Toro.

No worries! Go ahead and buy that mower.I think the Grandstands stripe well and I'm I guy who has used Walkers for over 20 years. You won't need a stripe kit.

grassman177
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM

no idea, we cut cool season here and it stripes great all by itself. very nice in fact.

docjones
04-24-2011, 05:47 PM
no idea, we cut cool season here and it stripes great all by itself. very nice in fact.

Thanks joemower and grassman......most grasses here are fescues, ryes, and some bluegrass.....i like a nice stripe and glad to hear the grandstands do a nice job.

cpllawncare
04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I recently purchased a 2011 GS and am very pleased, it is my first commercial grade mower so I'm learning all the ins and outs. Hills are definitly a new thing with this mower, I've almost turned it over a couple of times, but that was due to operater stupidity more than anything LOL

crhoades68
05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I purchased a 52 V-ride for this season to help with my back. I have found that I can last longer by using both. I love the nimbleness, lighter weight and the cut. If not contending with trees I can use it almost anywhere (don't have many hills). The only place I won't use it is on some rougher properties. On those it seems as if I'm pitching and bouncing. It felt like I was skiing (read very tired after an acre). I will also say I find myself trying it in areas where I have always used a push mower. The 52" can be a bit wide but it sure saves time and looks good (if not making too many turns in small areas).

I haven't tried other brands because I started with Scag and haven't had a reason to look elsewhere. I'm always interested in what others paid. I didn't have any luck getting the price down because the local dealer can't keep them in stock. I paid around $7,500.

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok guys i have had my Vantage stander for one week, tomorrow. And I like it and dislike it.

First off im renting to buy it.
Its stripes and cuts well.
Better on my legs than my older JD 667 (suspension)
Great because it counts as a Walk behind AND a rider
The biggest they make is a 52" but its not bad for resis or commercial. Only one extra pass on resis. But its small enough to get into all my small yards/fences

It doesnt have anti scalp rollers so you gotta watch what you cut. I have already almost flipped it about 10 times... On my JD i can ride the mower up my trailer ramp but on this i have to walk it up. So im actually glad exmark made it so you could pull up the platform and walk behind it.

All around pretty good machine. Just takes some time to get used to. Anyone With a stander knows that all of them are different from ZTR's its weird. The controls just take some getting used to. I made crooked lines for 3 days then finally got it to go straight everytime!

cpllawncare
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
LOL! I'm still making crooked lines and I've had my grandstand for about two months now, I'm seriously thinking about tweaking on the hydro's a lil to try to straighten it out a lil, it doesn't even go straight on flat level ground?

BestImpressions99
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
cuttin - that's what my Exmark dealer told me as the main reason they're not carrying the Vantage the next year. To me there is an actual difference between the design of the GrandStand and the Vantage. Same company or not you can't have this many people with Vantages having problems with balance and the same amount of people with GS's not having issues.

LawnGuy73
05-07-2011, 06:25 PM
All Wright Standers here, it is all we have run for the last 10 years....:usflag:

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-07-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL! I'm still making crooked lines and I've had my grandstand for about two months now, I'm seriously thinking about tweaking on the hydro's a lil to try to straighten it out a lil, it doesn't even go straight on flat level ground?

Mine goes straight i just had to get used to them...
If t was me i wouldnt tweak the hydros. First i would try to just play with it.

Promise-Land
05-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I have 6 hours on my Grandstand, 2011 24/52", and have never used a hydrostatic mower of any type before this. I will say after the first couple of hours I was used to the controls and was able to lay some pretty straight lines. I feel with at least 50% forward motion the machine is most responsive and easiest to control (straight lines). For me, I had to relax a little on the mower, when tense on the controls or in the body and legs it felt like I was fighting with the machine. Once I began to relax the grandstand really felt much more controlled and smooth.

I am really enjoying this machine so far. The cut is amazing with the Turbo Force deck. I am 6'1" 250lbs :weightlifter: and the balance has not been an issue.