PDA

View Full Version : Wall Curves

Lanelle
09-15-2002, 12:36 AM
I'm toying with some wall design ideas and I have noticed that various manufacturers list a varying minimum radius for inside and outside curves. So, how tight of a radius can you turn with a segmental retaining wall?

AGLA
09-15-2002, 09:24 AM
It depends on the particular product.
Never try to go to the max or min because they might not quite work out.
Another thing to be aware of is that most segmental or modular block walls batter back as they go up. That means that the outside radius gets tighter as you go up, so if you start at the tightest on the bottom you'll be screwed.

fastlane
09-15-2002, 01:50 PM
You can cut the block to the shape of a triangle. Will make a very small radius. for small walls only three or four courses high.

paul
09-15-2002, 11:04 PM
Tight curves can be done you just need a bit more layout time.

seems the picture won't show I'l post one more later

Stonehenge
09-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Trying to drum up some posts?

You can almost go as tight as you want. Things I consider when designing tight curves:

The abilities of the differing brands of blocks - as you noticed, they can't all make the same curves.

The look of each brand of block (some block with a cool look might not be able to make the curve I need without massive cutting).

The height of the wall. (The tighter the curve, the more likely you will be drawn to the smaller blocks (8"x12"x4", for example), because more of them are designed to make tighter curves. However, they are only rated to approx. 2' or so.)

So, if I've chosen my block and it's something like Versa-Lok, and I need a 4-5' radius inside curve, I'm just in for more cutting. Part of the trick, however, is to not cut the block into such small pieces that the block along the curve look like 1/2 block relative to the rest of the wall. At the same time, you may have to cut some off, so that the curve doesn't look 'chunky'.