PDA

View Full Version : Common Bermuda

1999frontier
03-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I know some of the hybrid bermuda it is suggested to cut with a reel mower. I'm wondering if common bermuda would be better since I just have a rotary mower. I'm looking to replace my fescue with bermuda since it gets too hot and dry here in the summer. Then in the winter I could overseed with annual or perennial ryegrass. Does it establish fast? Also, can I encourage the bermuda growth with following the bermuda fertilizer schedule?

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes, yes and yes. Common bermuda germinates fast and spreads like wildfire. You can rotary cut at 2". Do not side discharge or you will have it in every bed and the neighbors yard. Fertilizer 6x yearly, slo N. Overseed with annual only. Be prepared for more bed maint as it really creeps. I redid my front yard 2 years ago but it is contained with concrete edging. Bermuda lawns are gorgeous when right and don't deserve the negative reputation they have.
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
My yard has the concrete edging in front of our house and the start of the neighbors yard is there driveway so I should be good as far as keeping it in our yard. I know the soil temps have to be atleast 55 degrees. When do you think I should aerate and seed bermuda?

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
My mobile device doesn't tell me where your at. If your soil temp is 55+ anytime now. I would recommend slit seeding over aerating for planting. I topdress and seed and get rapid germination. The seeds only need to contact the soil, not be several inches down the hole. Aeration is always a good idea, IMO its not appropriate for seeding.
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm in eastern NC.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm in eastern NC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your nightly lows will delay germination. Give it 2 more weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
03-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm in eastern NC.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which part of eastern NC? The guys at John Deere landscapes told me to wait until April to change my yard over to bermuda. I think soil temp needs to be at 65 degrees and have no chances of frost. I also read not to seed rye grass in the winter for the first year of starting up a bermuda lawn.

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Why would you not overseed what will be a well established 9 month old lawn with ANNUAL Rye?
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Why would you not overseed what will be a well established 9 month old lawn with ANNUAL Rye?
Posted via Mobile Device

In general planting ryegrass with the Bermuda in the fall, increases the risk to the Bermuda seeds & seedlings becoming establishing in the spring. Any grass that is already growing in a lawn area such as a ryegrass is competition to the little seedlings when they start germination --- which means that some seedlings will not survive the competition from the ryegrass (or weeds) once they germinate. Most all turf experts recommend that you DO NOT OVERSEED RYEGRASS during the first fall / winter season after planting Bermuda. Allow your Bermuda time to establish and mature before overseeding with a ryegrass for winter color

Patriot Services
03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I understand your point. However in practice I have yet to see anything outcompete Bermuda. People spend fortunes and whole seasons trying to get rid of stray Bermuda that gets in their turf. When the heat comes up you can almost watch it grow. Bermuda is fully established in weeks not months. Just my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I understand your point. However in practice I have yet to see anything outcompete Bermuda. People spend fortunes and whole seasons trying to get rid of stray Bermuda that gets in their turf. When the heat comes up you can almost watch it grow. Bermuda is fully established in weeks not months. Just my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

I plant some bermuda in my yard last summer and it took off. A lot of people around have fescue. But it just always burned up in my yard during the summer, because my yard gets full sun all day. So I'm switching to bermuda this spring. I hope it establishes in a short time.

Patriot Services
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Just feed it slo n 5x a year. MSMA for weeds, if you get many. A thick Bermuda will outcompete most weeds. Don't get lazy on the mowing. Sometimes every 3-4 days. If you go too long you will cut the green out of it. A little extra attention will go a long way. I live in a Golf community and all they use is common on the fairways and hybrid on the greens. Fast when the cut is fresh.
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
How many lb per 1,000 sq ft. would you seed? Also, do you get the hulled or the coated seed?

Patriot Services
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
LaPrima coated from seed land at 3lbs per 1k. For overseeding this year I went with 1lb. Please remember this is my yard. I'm still trying to convince my few Bermuda customers why topdress and overseed is worth the money.
Even the Scotts brand is economical enough and gives good results.

wheelsup
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
LaPrima coated from seed land at 3lbs per 1k. For overseeding this year I went with 1lb. Please remember this is my yard. I'm still trying to convince my few Bermuda customers why topdress and overseed is worth the money.
Even the Scotts brand is economical enough and gives good results.

Looking for pics of your La Prima, I'm thinking of putting it down this year as well, but don't really have any good pictures of lawns with it. You don't (or anyone else) happen to have any do you?

Also, I have a few patches of common I have been battling, is there a way I can keep the common at bay and encourage the La Prima or will the common eventually overtake it? Just wondering, as if that is the case I might as well plant the cheap stuff.