PDA

View Full Version : gooseneck dump trailer?

Ecoscapes
03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
I've got an 07' F350 diesel single rear wheel and was considering a gooseneck 14' dump trailer; I'm a one man operation usually, and thought it'd be great to have one truck, one trailer that hauls both equipment and materials. I'd still be over the trucks gvw with the weight of the dump trailer and mini ex, but does the gooseneck increase the trucks gvw or does it just distribute the weight better? Does anyone have this set up or know if the truck can handle it? In the past I've had 2 trailers one equipment and 1 dumper, had to make extra trips and switch trailers all the time. Another concern is the manuverability of dumping materials with a 14ft dump, yikes! I can get an equipment trailer and a 6x10 dump trailer for about the same $ as a big 14 gn dump so this is a tough one! A 5 to 8 yard dump truck is probably in the future but for this year I'm sticking with the dump trailers and a all around truck. Thanks for any tips, :confused:

ECO Landscaping
03-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm in the same boat and would like to know as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

wellbuilt
03-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I never pulled with a gooseneck trailer but there are lots of guys out there pulling 8000lb mini on 14000lb 16000lb goosenecks .
I pull a 12000lb dump with my 350 bumper pull .
Its fine .
You manual will tell you your capacity .
I think the gvwr for the truck and trailer needs to be correct
truck 12000lb trailer 14000lbs ( combination 26000lbs)
over 26000lb needs class a licence . I cant remember the gvw of my 350 .
The difference between bumper pull and GN is the weight is spread over 2 axles 4 tires .
At 14000lb bumper pull its easy to over load your rear tires and axle with tongue weight 10/ 15% of the trailer weight .
Your 2" receiver is rated for 6500lb wt carrying hitch
12500 with WT distributing hitch
A 14' gooseneck turns like a 10' pumper pull because the trailer turns from the center of the truck bed .
I called my 8000lb ex in a 12' bumper pull dump but a equipment trailer is much easier to load and unload I up grade my ex and trailer last year.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I have one most ever hauled with it was 5 ton of rock pulled it behind a F350 5 speed Sometimes the GN dump trailer To haul Skid loader and some rock with one trip
We got the model low to ground it can t dump a pile in on spot to low to the ground

flairland
03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
A gooseneck dump will not tow like a 10 ft bumper pull trailer - more like an 18ft bumper pull. You have to make much wider turns with a gooseneck trailer. However, they have zero sway on the hwy, even if your trailer is not loaded properly. I carry my 6700lbs mini in my 14' gooseneck with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

flairland
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
A gooseneck dump will not tow like a 10 ft bumper pull trailer - more like an 18ft bumper pull. You have to make much wider turns with a gooseneck trailer. However, they have zero sway on the hwy, even if your trailer is not loaded properly. I carry my 6700lbs mini in my 14' gooseneck with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

wellbuilt
03-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You don't say , Ive never pulled a GN but it sure seems like they can back into a much tighter space then i can with my 12' bumper pull .
Ive never given any thought to pulling forward down the road .
John

ParkWelding
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Maybe you could back a gooseneck MORE EASILY into a tighter space, but you will need MUCH MORE room to maneuver the truck than a tag trailer. Its a trade off. For such a short trailer, a tag dump is easy to back up. If I were worried about running full or over capacity loads long distances or at high speeds I would lean toward a gooseneck. If you have a truck that is on the small or light side for the trailer you want to pull, I would look at a gooseneck. If you can't figure out how to keep a somewhat balanced load in the trailer, I would look at a gooseneck. If those issues don't apply to you, maybe than you should keep the bed of your truck free and get a tag.

ParkWelding
03-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Regarding the OP, if you are looking for a new trailer maybe you could look for one of the manufacturers that builds a 16' 16K gvw gooseneck with 8 ton axles. That would probably get you the best capacity and definitely be easier to use as an equipment trailer as well. JMO

ClassicLawnCareInc
03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I have a 08 Texas Bragg 16ft gooseneck dump trailer. Its got 4 ft metal sides.It has a 14k gvw. I pull it with my 07 dodge ram 3500 single rear wheel and it pulls it fine. B/c its a gooseneck 25% of th weight can be put on the rear axle of the truck legally, allowing the trailer to hold more weight legally in the trailer. I love the trailer it rides smoother than a bumper pull. I got pull out ramps so I can drive my compact tractor into the trailer. Ill try to find some pics n post them.

Duffster
03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Maybe you could back a gooseneck MORE EASILY into a tighter space, but you will need MUCH MORE room to maneuver the truck than a tag trailer. Its a trade off. For such a short trailer, a tag dump is easy to back up. If I were worried about running full or over capacity loads long distances or at high speeds I would lean toward a gooseneck. If you have a truck that is on the small or light side for the trailer you want to pull, I would look at a gooseneck. If you can't figure out how to keep a somewhat balanced load in the trailer, I would look at a gooseneck. If those issues don't apply to you, maybe than you should keep the bed of your truck free and get a tag.

I will have to disagree with you here. Usually comments like these come from people that aren't experienced with GNs. I have been pulling GN since I was aboot 14 so that is what comes natural to me.

As far as backing up the longer the trailer the better and a GN will always be easier than a tag.

ParkWelding
03-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Thats fine. The longer the trailer the better I do agree. The truck will be moving around more to get a gooseneck into a tough spot that a tag, given equal length trailers. That is for sure. It is not a major issue, but is the truth.

Duffster
03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Thats fine. The longer the trailer the better I do agree. The truck will be moving around more to get a gooseneck into a tough spot that a tag, given equal length trailers. That is for sure. It is not a major issue, but is the truth.

No it is not.

Picture backing a trailer up into a position that is 90* to the truck/original direction of travel. I can do that with a GN in one smooth maneuver and in less space than you can with tag. You can't even get a tag at 90* to the truck let alone past that like you can with a GN.

I would love to challenge you to a competition but not sure how we would decide the winner over the interweb. :laugh:

knox gsl
03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Over all the GN trailer will pull better, back easier, and is more stable at any speed compared to a tag hitch. That being said there are trade offs. Cant pull with a dump, takes more room to back, and employees, truck tail gates, and GN trailers never mix well.
If it were me I would go with the GN, but this is coming from a someone that has been driving tractor trailers for years and a F-350 is a little truck when sitting in a long nose 379 pulling a 53 footer. I have thought about getting a 3/4 ton truck and a 18' GN to haul mowers, but that is alot of parking space and I'm tired of always being limited by parking.

loganfogg24
06-15-2013, 08:12 PM
i know some one with a 2011 f350 powerstroke and they tow a 16 foot gatomade gooseneck it hauled 13k of scrap metal no problem

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-15-2013, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=ParkWelding;3926065] old thread

PlantscapeSolutions
06-16-2013, 01:56 AM
You combine the GVWR of the trailer and truck to find your legal limit. I used to have a 02' Ram 2500 and I used it to tow my 21' triple axle trailer many times which was in the 18K range loaded. Add some Pacbrake airbags and you can do anything.

The longer the trailer the easier it is to back up unless it's a triple axle because they don't pivot very well and are harder on tires. My 20' dump is much easier to back up then my 21' triple.

s&slawn
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
If your going to buy it and keep it and not worried about a "quick sale" if you do put it up for sale, go with the GN. Get some bags in the rear of your truck and when loaded right you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. A GN in my opinion is the only way to go when possible if hauling a good amount of weight.

P.S. Make sure when you unhook to pull away you put your tailgate down.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
06-26-2013, 10:48 AM
If your going to buy it and keep it and not worried about a "quick sale" if you do put it up for sale, go with the GN. Get some bags in the rear of your truck and when loaded right you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. A GN in my opinion is the only way to go when possible if hauling a good amount of weight.

P.S. Make sure when you unhook to pull away you put your tailgate down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never trust your employees either. I caught one of my guys closing my tailgate out of habit as I was getting ready to pull away from my gooseneck. If your guys help you hook up always double check everything. A piece of PVC stuck on the ball works wonders for aligning the ball and gooseneck solo.

cutbetterthanyou
06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
I just bought a 16 foot bumper pull 14k .I pull it with a SRW f 250 and a SRW 2500hd no problem.One thing to think about with a gooseneck or bumper pull is 16 vs 14. I choose the bumper pull mostly because most trucks already have a hitch, and i don't have to worry if it have a gooseneck hitch or not. I also choose a 16 because my skid load is 12 foot long with the bucket down, a 14 foot only gives a foot in front and a foot in back .With the 16 I can center my load where I want it, so there isn't to much on the truck.