PDA

View Full Version : cant breathe, cant see...what do you recommend?

GarPA
09-15-2002, 06:17 AM
well yesterday I was doing a property that made me realize I need to by another toy for my biz...I was filthy from the leaf and soil dust...in my eyes , mouth ...usually I can turn away from the junk but yesterday was windy...I've seen these contraptions that I guess are used by tree trimmers ..they have a face shield mounted to like a hardhat I think....goggles alone I dont think i want to do...anyone using something that is comfortable and works well? thanks much

Randy J
09-15-2002, 07:22 AM
Here ya go; Chainsaw Helmet Protector (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2052848518) . Not sure the face shield will help though. I think they're just mesh, and would let dust through. Been thinking of getting one for cutting trees down though.
Randy

65hoss
09-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Every fall I make another change to my face contraption. I even thought about a gas mask once. This season I plan to find a respirator with face mask. Some of the safety magazines I get have them for around $150-$200 bucks if I remember correctly. But if it works it would pay for itself with my health for many years to come. Leaf dust in the lungs everyone understands, but leaf dust in your contacts can make you insane.

awm
09-15-2002, 09:37 AM
thats what i use 65. didnt buy it tho . my son the adjuster ,takin care ole daddy. he has to go some freaky places in his job.
tellu one thing ,i wouldnt take 150. for it when its dry as a bone.
scared the **** outa one of my customers with it one day tho.. i was off the mower getting some limbs up ,next to the house,and she rounded the corner.
thot i was going to have to practice my cpr. :D funny,now that she didnt die.:)

AltaLawnCare
09-15-2002, 10:43 AM
The best combinations I've found are..

Mowing: Scott Goggles(fit right over prescription sunglasses, set glasses in goggles first then put on) Soft foam ear plugs on a string, Dust mast with breather valve( 3M or Moldex is better)

String trimming: Face shield with wire mesh, (a plastic face shield is way too hot and distorts your view), gloves, and ear plugs.

The scott goggles have helped me the most, they won;t make you sweat more or fog up. They also make nusaint (sp?) masks which filter out engine fumes too.
;)

joed
09-15-2002, 11:03 AM
I just recently picked up a face shield/ear muff combo from Echo. It cost me $50 Canadian and is well worth the money. I was sick and tired of having stones fling up and hit me in the face when I was trimming. On top of that I wear perscription glasses all the time and the lens on my glasses would get scratched up real good over the year. I am very happy with the Echo face shield/ear muff combo. The shield is made of wire mesh but doesn't distort your vision that much. It actually saved me from a serious injury yesterday when I a good size pebble came flying at my forehead when I was trimming. Fortunately, it simply bounced of the shield and left me in peace.

MOW ED
09-15-2002, 11:14 AM
try one of these.

45 minutes on a tank if you dont breathe too heavy.