PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions effectively plant a small tree

MFNA
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I am removing a Dogwood that is dead for a customer in a few weeks. What is a small tree for the Mid-Atlantic region to replace it with? Also what should I know about planting a tree?

Smallaxe
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Find a tree/shrub at a trustworthy local nursery... Specifically ask, "will this tree perform well in this area?"... Many nurseries are now bringing in stuff that may 'survive' in the area, but not do very well, in flowering, disease resitance, etc...

The Best tree/shrub to plant, is bareroot... Dig a hole larger than needed, add good soil to the hole and place it in the ground and bury it up to the position as mentioned at the nursery... Plant too high or too deep, you will definately stress the plant...

Once covered, flood the hole until ALL the bubbles are out of the rootzone... I like to flood the rootzone hole for the first 3 days, then let it air for a while b4 doing watering again.... :)

Potted plants are may be only barerooted plants stuck in pots, after the spring planting is done, but if you can find real potted plants they work well too... B n B are the most difficult, but if you go that route, be sure to uncover the top of the burlap...

dandd75
03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
As far as tree, a crabapple that is less prone to scab or fireblight such as 'Bob White', maybe good, if fruits falling on cars or sidewalks is not a concern.
Japanese tree lilac may also be a good choice, as would be a star magnolia. But much depends on the site. Is it sun or shade? Is the soil heavy clay or sandy? Soil PH? Is it prone to stay wet or dry out quickly? Also do you know what killed the dogwood? Try to find out and chose a plant that can take the site.
As far as planting, as said before, plant at level in pot, water, and alo make a mulch bed at leat 3 times the size of the pot, so the new tree does not have to compete with the turf.

rlmlandscape
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
A landscaper who doesn't know how to plant a tree. Interesting. Dont listen to the above poster never plant the tree in the pot unless you want them to have a dead tree in another year or so.

rlmlandscape
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
A landscaper who doesn't know how to plant a tree whats next plumbers who dont know how to unclogg a toilet. Also never plant a tree in the pot that it comes in.

dandd75
03-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Bloddy hell, I meant plant it at the level it is going in inside the pot, so as not to be too deep or too shallow. Of course take the take tree out of the pot. I did not even think this needed to be stated.
And I see many "landscapers" who have not a clue how to plant. And don't get me started on how many mile this stupid mulch on a tree!!