PDA

View Full Version : Major difference in tire diameter, same "size" turf master vs. turf saver

Jason Rose
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Ok, have a bit of a problem... I have this Deere stander, and the tires on it are pretty much shot, but they are Carlisle Turf Masters. I really dislike the Turf Masters, they don't have much traction and are cheapos, 2 ply I think. I have a pair of like new Turf Savers, same size, both 20x10-8 tires but the Turf Savers are almost an INCH larger in diameter! Wouldn't be that big of a deal except in order to get the deck pitched correctly, with the tires it has, I'm out of adjustment to lower the rear of the deck as well as out of adjustment to raise the front! Using these Turf Master tires would put the rear of the deck about 3/4" higher than the front and it wouldn't cut right!

From what I can tell by the pictures in the manual, the Deere came from the factory with the Carlisle Multi-trac tires on it.

Anyone else ran into this issue??? Are the multi-tracs even smaller in diameter than the turf savers? I wonder if that's not the case since I had to adjust the deck so much to get it pitched correctly. I really hate to order a set and find out they are the same diameter as the Turf Savers!

I remember talking to a guy that had an exmark, said he could NOT get it to cut level... He had replaced one of the turf masters with a turf saver... I told him then "well there's your problem". lol. I find it odd that a company as large as Carlisle wouldn't have a lot better consistancy in tire sizes. A 20x10-8 should be a 20x10-8, no matter what the name of the tread pattern is!

djagusch
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Adjust it with air pressure. What are you airing it too? Most likely you can run 8psi without issue. See how that affects the deck height. Also how worn are the fronts? If they are down a half inch and the rear is up a inch that would make a big difference also. Front wheel bearings loose? Just can't believe a straight framed mower couldn't adapt to 1" of deck level.

robertsturf
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
We had a problem with our Turf Savers they were slicker than the Turf Masters and didn't hold as well on hills. But they were the same sizes compared to each other.

Jason Rose
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm wondering if the turf masters I have aren't oddball or something. It is odd that they are larger than the turf savers, since they are claimed to be the same size on the carlisle website (mounted and inflated diameter).

I've called John Deere, and a tire store and there's really no other options for those 7" wide x 8" diameter rims. No one knows what exact tire came on it from the factory, I doubt it was the turf savers as I've never seen a commercial mower with them, they are usually found on cheap lawn tractors.
Posted via Mobile Device

dishboy
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Jason, have you tried re-pitching the deck. The only thing I would be concerned about dropping the rear .75" is belt alignment.

LCPullman
03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Are you sure both of tires are actually Carlisle tires and not a cheap imitation, do they both say Carlisle on them?
How worn were the old ones? How deep is the tread?

According to the Carlisle website, both the Turf Savers and Turf Masters are listed to be the same actual height, and also according to their website, they don't make a Multi-trac C/S in that size.
It find it a little strange because the Turf Master tires are considered a premium tire over the Turf Savers, and I have personally found the Turf Masters to perform better.

Jason Rose
03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, they are both carslile brand. And I know the multi-trac C/S doesn't come in that size...

That's what I can't figure out is why the ones I have are about 20.5" when they are supposed to be 19.6" as quoted by the carslile website. Shouldn't be a big deal at all IF I could change the pitch of the deck to compensate for the taller tires.

The frame is straight, the front tires are the correct size... Its just weird!

Trying to figure out who made these Deere standers. Gravely/Everride?
Posted via Mobile Device

LCPullman
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I know the present ones are made by Ariens (Gravely) for Deere.

It is strange that the Turf Savers are too big, sort of screws the whole thing up. Sounds like their about the same height as the turf saver 20x10-10 which are about .8 inch larger than the 20x10-10 turf master.

Sounds like about all you could do it either try to alter the height mechanism to change pitch or go with different tires.

Jason Rose
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I may just hedge my bets and order a set of Turf Masters... They are "supposed" to be the same diameter as the turf savers. No idea why the set I have are not... But the set I have, although in like new condition, have been mounted and inflated for probably 6 or 7 years. Perhaps they grew from the heat of being on a mower that sat in a hot closed up shed for so long. It's possible I suppose.

Like stated, if they are a little tall I may have to alter the deck hangers somehow to get the pitch of the deck correct again. Never had this issue before. Glad I got a decent deal on this Deere. Would be pissed if I had paid 4 grand for this thing!

djagusch
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Can't you just air them down a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device