PDA

View Full Version : ordered 2 new mowers today

watsmi57
03-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I ordered 2 Gravely's today. I got a pro turn 252 and a pro walk hydro 36. I got the mulch kits for both mowers and the chute baffle for the 52. I cannot wait until they are here. I feel like a kid at Christmas time lol. My wife however did not share in my enthusiasm. She said it was more than her car payment. So I said yeah, but your car doesn't make any money lol.

Btw Gravely has a fleet promotion going on right now if you need some new equipment. If you spend over $10k you get 20% off as long as the total is still above $10k after the discount.

Pics coming soon..well next week probably

Chevy z71
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Can't wait to see them.

booboy
03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
If the car gets her to work then it does make her money

StanWilhite
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
I ordered 2 Gravely's today. I got a pro turn 252 and a pro walk hydro 36. I got the mulch kits for both mowers and the chute baffle for the 52. I cannot wait until they are here. I feel like a kid at Christmas time lol. My wife however did not share in my enthusiasm. She said it was more than her car payment. So I said yeah, but your car doesn't make any money lol.

Btw Gravely has a fleet promotion going on right now if you need some new equipment. If you spend over $10k you get 20% off as long as the total is still above $10k after the discount.

:laugh:
Better be careful about bringing up what does and doesn't make money! I've got a buddy that bought a bass boat, and when his wife didn't share his enthusiasm, he threw up the fact that his boat could "make money" by enabling him to catch fish for the family to eat.

He then said, "what about the high heels and sexy dresses you buy....THEY don't make money"!! She calmly replied...."well they CAN if that'll make you feel better!

DOOH!!!!!!!

Clark Griswold
03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Congrats, how long you in debt for?

I sure hope 2011 is good for you & not like doomsday like everyone is talking about!

watsmi57
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
He then said, "what about the high heels and sexy dresses you buy....THEY don't make money"!! She calmly replied...."well they CAN if that'll make you feel better!

DOOH!!!!!!!

that's funny lol

watsmi57
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Congrats, how long you in debt for?.

too long. 5 years. but i am a solo operator for the most part. i didn't put but 200 hours on my primary mower last season. so i am hoping to get some long life from these units. the only good thing is in 2 years when the warranty is up - they will be worth more than i owe. i take exceptional care of my stuff too.

i think 2011 will be ok. gas prices are going to suck but i have gotten almost all of my clients back on board already.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Best time to buy mower or about anything is before the end of the year dealer don t want pay tax on that stuff The will cut a better deal I know you already bought you stuff but might check into it next time
And save you from giving that to uncle sam

watsmi57
03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Best time to buy mower or about anything is before the end of the year dealer don t want pay tax on that stuff The will cut a better deal I know you already bought you stuff but might check into it next time
And save you from giving that to uncle sam

i did ok. my mowers were $14600 retail before tax. i got them out the door tax and all for under $13k - with mulch kits for both mowers and the chute baffle (installed )for the 52.

watsmi57
03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
uh oh! my dealer called to order the mowers today and the 252 is on the way but they haven't started building the walk behinds yet lol. probably be mid april before i get it. :(

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Sounds like you bough some sweet machines! Hope you enjoy them.

ALC-GregH
03-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Man, with only 200hrs a season. I hope you can afford them. 5 years is a long time to be paying on them. ANYTHING can happen.

watsmi57
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Man, with only 200hrs a season. I hope you can afford them. 5 years is a long time to be paying on them. ANYTHING can happen.

i should have clarified that a little bit more. i ran more than one mower last season. i had 200 on the primary mower and close to that on another one. i am mostly a solo operator also, that saves a lot of money too. i only have about 15 accounts but they are all full service accounts. plus we are paying off my wife's car too so tit for tat on payments. my payments are under $200 a month for both mowers. everything else i have is paid for. this is my only note lol. i also paid some cash upfront to keep it down and i got my apr at 3.25.

but yeah i am concerned about them lasting 5 years too. you are right anything can happen. when the warranty is up as long as they are still in ok shape they will be worth more than i owe. if i start having problems i will try to sell them..pay off the note...and start again lol. but i am going to try to pay them off early too.

but yes i can afford them. i worked 4 hours yesterday afternoon and made my mower payment for the month.

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 05:25 PM

dam nice machine

Roger
03-05-2011, 07:29 AM
too long. 5 years. but i am a solo operator for the most part. i didn't put but 200 hours on my primary mower last season. so i am hoping to get some long life from these units. the only good thing is in 2 years when the warranty is up - they will be worth more than i owe. i take exceptional care of my stuff too.

i think 2011 will be ok. gas prices are going to suck but i have gotten almost all of my clients back on board already.

Whoa!! I would like to see your spreadsheets to justify two machines that aren't that different, when you can only run one at a time. 200 hours per season is very little usage, and it now sounds like you may be splitting that time between two new mowers.

Using the machines for low hours, hoping to get long life, is the wrong perspective. Any piece of machinery sitting idle is one that is not earning you money. Your goal should be to use them 600, 700, 800 or more hours per season, every hour earning you money. The best machine in the shop is the one running all the time, needing replacing soon because of excessive wear. It has earned the most money.

You may have a unique circumstance that requires a 52" and a a 36" machine for a solo operator. One certainly cannot justify another full mower (52") when a single mower (36") will do the job, albeit a little longer. You will have to work many, many years (decades?) to make up the cost and maintenance difference between these two mowers, for the reduced time.

watsmi57
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
You may have a unique circumstance that requires a 52" and a a 36" machine for a solo operator. One certainly cannot justify another full mower (52") when a single mower (36") will do the job, albeit a little longer. You will have to work many, many years (decades?) to make up the cost and maintenance difference between these two mowers, for the reduced time.

i see your point and hopefully this season or next both machines will see a lot more hours but there will be times that both machines will be running. i have some larger commercial properties that i always take a helper with me when i go because of their size. i have some part time guys i use here and there. they will run enough to more than pay for themselves. i will probably only keep them for 2-3 years anyway, then sell or trade them in towards new in warranty equipment. pay off the note -start it up again. i can make somebody a good deal on some meticulously maintained low hour units as well. :)

As far as the 36 goes, I was tired of hauling around a push mower and i have a lot of areas that a big mower can't get in my yards. I needed 2 commercial machines. I was tired of working on homeowner crap. If I just had the WB i could not compete here tho. too many large properties. the 36 was mainly meant to get the places the 52 can't, and for me, around here, that's gated back yards and steep slopes. The 52 will by far get the most use. my properties range in size from a tenth of an acre to 3 acres with everything in between. the other lco's around here that i have talked to about the 2 machines i bought all agree that for "around here" it's the perfect rig. i think different areas have different perfect rigs. if i lived in south florida i would probably only own walk behinds :walking::).

KS_Grasscutter
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I think you made a great choice. I am a solo opperator too, and have 4 mowers- 52" midmount ztr, 48" Walker, 32" belt drive wb, and 21". Sure, none of them get a bunch of hours, but they all have their place. Use the Grasshopper on the big stuff, Walker on smaller lawns, and the 32" and 21" are just for gated back yards. Yea, I could get by with just a combo of 1 ZTR and 1 wb, but I like to be as efficient as possible on each property as time is pretty limited.