PDA

View Full Version : how do u respond to the lowball??

mgoldman
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Howdy, i'm new to the lawn service game and I'm already experiencing getting substantially out bid. Maybe i charge too much, but i dont think i am. Today i got a response from a bid to rake and bag a 3/4 acre lawn with a seasons worth of leaves, to clean out 75 ft of rear gutters, to pick up all sticks in yard and haul it all away. I bid $170. The winning bid was $75; the home owner called and told me so. Was i just really that high? Seems like a lot 'o work and hauling for $75. Is this common? :confused:

ALC-GregH
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I would have wanted more. Someone with no credentials is doing it to either feed his family or get beer money. Lets hope they don't fall and hurt their self or the lady might get sued.

kilgoja
03-02-2011, 05:08 PM
don't rake it...run over it with your mower and mulch the leaves up...then you can charge $75....like the regular price of a cut

QualityLawnCare4u
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Before I do all you listed above for 75 bucks and I will put up every piece of equipment I have for sale and sit at the house! I think your price was very fair if not a tad on the low side. I'm affraid we are going to be seeing a LOT of this kind of pricing in the future. These kind of lowballers can't last forever but do a lot of damage before its over. And hauling it off also with gas just hitting 3.49 here today, he is doing it for free.:hammerhead:

Golfpro21
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
that low baller is the same guy dumping what he took away oin a ditch on the side of a road somewhere too...has no dignity or concern for our environment

jbell36
03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
seems like i have ran into it the most this year than ever

aarons lawn
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
id pe pissed off 170 is fair id tell thay guy youll doit 4 70 just to try n take that bonners work from him!!!!

Landrus2
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Itís just a matter of time when they see there is no money to be in business they will run and donít look back

Golfpro21
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
id pe pissed off 170 is fair id tell thay guy youll doit 4 70 just to try n take that bonners work from him!!!!

why would he want to take that "bonners" work when that "bonners" work will lose him money

Patriot Services
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Let me guess. You got this lead from a Craigslist ad. Let the village idiot have it for 70. Wait until he falls off the ladder or quits halfway through. I know its hard to leave anything on the table but sometimes you have to stick to your guns. Fundamental rule cheap customers are pitas'.
Posted via Mobile Device

aarons lawn
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
why would he want to take that "bonners" work when that "bonners" work will lose him money

i will gladly lose a few bucks and so will fellows lco around here to put people like that under

Patriot Services
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
i will gladly lose a few bucks and so will fellows lco around here to put people like that under

My logic is the cost of fuel will get rid of many. They don't spend money on advertising and I see them and tree guys trolling through neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device

Painting Stripes 11
03-04-2011, 02:04 AM
it wouldnt be worth my time for 75 i charge spring fall cleanups 30 to 35 depending on how bad it is by per man hr so if i had two guys there for say 2 hrs total = $120

betterlawnsandlandscaping
03-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Let me unfold the lowball!! There are 2 kinds of customers, the ones that are after quality and the ones that are after the low low price. I don't want the type of customer they are attracting. Dont sweat it. Stick to your price as close as you can and attract the good quality customer. The good thing about lowballers, they get seconds. Also, lowballers can also cause people that would not normally hire someone to do their lawn, let them do it and somewhere down the road they will want quality over price. Thats when they call us. In a way, they created a new customer for us!!! Lowballers are all around me, and they have to do twice as much work as me to make as much. These guys are out of business when the equipment breaks because they were only working for beer money!!:laugh:

Agape
03-04-2011, 02:51 AM
it wouldnt be worth my time for 75 i charge spring fall cleanups 30 to 35 depending on how bad it is by per man hr so if i had two guys there for say 2 hrs total = $120

If you had 2 guys for 2 hours, that would be 4 man hours, but you gotta pay them, (Legally) for the time they show up to the time they get back, so that's at least a half hour each way for 2 guys = 2 more man hours.
so now you're at 6 man hours + fuel and then dumping if needed, and man hours/fuel to dump.

so the hidden costs could cripple you at $30/man hour.

I assume at 30, you're paying under the table, but lets say avg. = 15/hr paid. ( mine is close to 15).
15X6=$90 labor (not including dump time) $10 fuel (loaded, pulling trailer) and $10 min. dump
= total $110 out of pocket, not including fliers, estimates, time for estimates, fuel for estimates.....
You sucessfuly broke even at best but your tax writeoffs are great.

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I cannot believe the price this guy bid under you. I did a leaf job about 2 weeks ago and bid $260. I got the job but it did take about 6 hours to do. I have ran into a bunch of, "If you can do all this for this price, I will let you do the work". I work two jobs one is punching a clock inside, in the air conditioning. The other is outside doing this kind of work. I just refuse to let anyone run over me on price. Of course, I have that luxury to do that. I would rather my equipment sit idol and just do a few jobs, than to do many jobs and wear out my equipment and short myself. Work hard make it look good and market this quality. I have gotten to where I send written rough estimates because you take time to go and estimate something, and then don't get the job. I have found if a person is receptive to your rough estimate, they are usually going to give you the job. Keep plugging it and don't let this stuff discourage you!