PDA

View Full Version : New Mower Needed: Scag Cheetah or Hustler X-ONE?

JTLarson
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I am in need of a new mower. I have owned several brands over the years and have been treated very well by each dealership for each brand. I have had Exmarks, a Scag walk behind, and several Hustler Super Z's. I injured my back 2 years ago mowing rough terrain on a bucking John Deere 997. Therefore, I have narrowed it down to possibly a Scag Cheetah or Hustler X-One. I will be getting a 60" cut. I have chosen the Cheetah because of the cut and the suspended riding platform (bad back). My last mowers were Hustlers so I have a great relationship with the dealership and hate to pull away, and they have the new deck (which I have read is comparable to the Scags). I have also read about and looked at Standers because of my back, but I stand at my factory job all day and don't know if I would want to stand mowing also. Any opinions or insight would be appreciated.

castlerockmo
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Boy they both look like great machines. The cheetah reminds me of the Husqvarna pz (I have and love) they took a lot of the same concepts the pz has. So if you have a bad back and that cheetah is close to the Pz I would go with it. My pz (dixon-actually) rides like your on clouds. But that X-one looks really nice I think Hustler has a good one there.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
The Cheetah I spent close to 2 hrs on in the fall. It is the only suspension mower that does not have the suspension affect the deck. It felt really good and is adjustable rate of suspension.

You have read the new Hustler deck is comparable to Scags. To me that is saying Scag was the best and I'm trying to keep up. So why not just buy the best in Hustlers opinion (meaning the Scag)?

The X-one I'm sure will be a decent mower but flex forks affect cut too much.

For the Stander while they are better than a w/b for suspension, it is not a Cheetah.

If price is not a issue the Cheetah is the one to buy.

djagusch
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Boy they both look like great machines. The cheetah reminds me of the Husqvarna pz (I have and love) they took a lot of the same concepts the pz has. So if you have a bad back and that cheetah is close to the Pz I would go with it. My pz (dixon-actually) rides like your on clouds. But that X-one looks really nice I think Hustler has a good one there.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm pretty sure the Cheetah was built long before the PZ came to market. I heard 4 years ago about them working on a 2 spd mower. Scag just doesn't whip them out. They test, test, test and retest, then test again. The Hustler Super Z just moved the hydro cooler and made a mount in Oct or so. How long of testing do you think they have on that design? Not many.

castlerockmo
03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the Cheetah was built long before the PZ came to market. I heard 4 years ago about them working on a 2 spd mower. Scag just doesn't whip them out. They test, test, test and retest, then test again. The Hustler Super Z just moved the hydro cooler and made a mount in Oct or so. How long of testing do you think they have on that design? Not many.

I think husqvarna put 2 years of field testing alone in that machine. So it got a lot of study, and the husqvarna was out a year before the scagg. I will say I would put that mower up against any on the market!
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I think husqvarna put 2 years of field testing alone in that machine. So it got a lot of study, and the husqvarna was out a year before the scagg. I will say I would put that mower up against any on the market!
Posted via Mobile Device

"I think" is a lot different than "I know". I know the 2 spd (cheetah) the rep was trying out at the factory over 4 yrs ago. I would take a Turf Tiger (a 1998 design still being compared to others top of the line) or Cheetah over a PZ any day just based on the yrs of experience Scag has over them in the mower market.

kilgoja
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
which color do you like better? orange or yellow?....lol...either one will do a great job i'm sure

HenryB
03-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Scag had a few disasters in the TurfRunner and the Couger. So I do think they test pretty well now. I'd still give the Cheetah a year to see how it is. Hustler with Flex Forks and suspention seat are a nice combo.

Landscraper1
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I can see why anyone would make comparisons between a Hustler and a Scag, but how did a Husqvarna even come close? Hustler and Scag are pioneers in the commercial mowing industry.

Husqvarna was great for their chainsaws. They came into this industry by purchasing other companies. They don"t develope anything. Thier mowers are Yazoo/Kees transformed and painted orange. They have 2 cycle equipment, lawn tractors, snow blowers, and a bunch of other products from Bluebird. Scag and Hustler produce mowers period. And they are both great at it.

To answer the original question, I am partial to Hustler. To me they, are the smoothest running mower out there. The suspension is important and so is the handling. I don't think anyone comes close to the smoothness of the X one controls. Either way you can't go wrong.

Chevy z71
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
which color do you like better? orange or yellow?....lol...either one will do a great job i'm sure

I like orange so i would go with the scag:laugh::usflag:

JTLarson
03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input. A husqvarna isn't an option. Never tried one, but no. I've been leaning towards the Scag, but of course I'm a little leary of the "new" design. I mow everything from a small city lawn to acreages of 4-6 acres. I thought my Hustlers did fine, but lookin for that better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

castlerockmo
03-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I can see why anyone would make comparisons between a Hustler and a Scag, but how did a Husqvarna even come close? Hustler and Scag are pioneers in the commercial mowing industry.

Husqvarna was great for their chainsaws. They came into this industry by purchasing other companies. They don"t develope anything. Thier mowers are Yazoo/Kees transformed and painted orange. They have 2 cycle equipment, lawn tractors, snow blowers, and a bunch of other products from Bluebird. Scag and Hustler produce mowers period. And they are both great at it.

To answer the original question, I am partial to Hustler. To me they, are the smoothest running mower out there. The suspension is important and so is the handling. I don't think anyone comes close to the smoothness of the X one controls. Either way you can't go wrong.

I just mentioned the fact that the cheetah and pz had similar platforms and that the pz rides great and if the scag is as comfortable as the pz I would go with the scag.

Also the pz is not a painted yazoo that is a true built from scratch Husqvarna. If you haven't been on one you can't say anything about it until you have some seat time.
Posted via Mobile Device

torotorotoro
03-03-2011, 08:58 PM
i am a toro guy and have a g3 . i demoed a cheetah last summer and it was the fastest and most comfortable mower i have ever been on. cut was good but the speed was unreal.you would not think you could mow that fast but you can. i would hit bumps full speed and it would not hurt. i dont know how good it was for the mower but i did not even feel it in my feet. that platform was a great idea. i hope toro steals it from them. if you have back aches go with cheetah. im not a fan of flex forks.i have not used a hustler x but everride had flex forks and i did not like how it looked on different terrain.

SouthSide Cutter
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Ran the Cheetah and a Ferris over something like rumble strips and rough ground. And the Cheetah doesn't even compare to the Ferris. If I had a bad back I would get the Ferris and I am a Scag person!!!!.

D&K Lawns
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
The school where I teach just bought an X one 60 inch. Unbelievable machine. Funny that hardly anyone here had ever heard of Hustler till a dealer came in nearby. Cut is sweet and ride is awesome. Going to get one myself next month.

Painting Stripes 11
03-04-2011, 12:40 AM
if your going to be riding all day get exmark's next lazer z! it has the best seat in the industry just sit in one and you'll be hooked plus it has an awesome cut

MOHUSTLER
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
if your going to be riding all day get exmark's next lazer z! it has the best seat in the industry just sit in one and you'll be hooked plus it has an awesome cut

Exmark does not hold a candle stick to Scag, Hustler or Ferris in ride quality. Its ingorant to even compare them in the same light. :hammerhead:

Landscraper1
03-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I just mentioned the fact that the cheetah and pz had similar platforms and that the pz rides great and if the scag is as comfortable as the pz I would go with the scag.

Also the pz is not a painted yazoo that is a true built from scratch Husqvarna. If you haven't been on one you can't say anything about it until you have some seat time.
Posted via Mobile Device

If Husqvarna purchased Yazoo/Kees then, they own it. If they own it and are producing mowers, then yes, they are building from scatch, now.

This is the way much of this industry works. If you go on the Y/K website, you will see the link to Husqvarna. Goto the Husqvarna site and you will see a long list of companies they own.

This happened with Toro purchasing Exmark and John Deere purchasing Great Dane. Buy the competitiion and take their technoligy.

castlerockmo
03-04-2011, 10:17 AM
If Husqvarna purchased Yazoo/Kees then, they own it. If they own it and are producing mowers, then yes, they are building from scatch, now.

This is the way much of this industry works. If you go on the Y/K website, you will see the link to Husqvarna. Goto the Husqvarna site and you will see a long list of companies they own.

This happened with Toro purchasing Exmark and John Deere purchasing Great Dane. Buy the competitiion and take their technoligy.

All I was saying was that yazoo never had anything like the Pz its a new machine. Now all the older husqvranas (lz,bz,iz) were all yazoo designs that husqvarna used to get into the commercial ZTR market.
Posted via Mobile Device

torotorotoro
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM

no is doesnt dixie has best seat. the rubber bushings between seat and frame help, but when i hit a bump full speed it hurts.g3 is great,but if comfort is a must go with cheetah. a good seat is great but the floating plateform and moter cycle strut holding it takes the impact before it reaches the seat. you dont feel the bumps.i do agree about x superior cut.