PDA

View Full Version : S185 won't accept grease

mcryan
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi I have a 2004 bobcat S185 skid. Two of the zerks will not accept grease. I have replaced both zerks and I still can not get grease in there. One zerk is the medium sized that is where the cylinder attaches to the quick attach plate, and the other is the small zerk at the base of the latch for the plate. Any ideas what to do or why this has happened. I appreciate in advance any insight into the problem.
Thanks Ryan

Nelson M Martin
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi I have a 2004 bobcat S185 skid. Two of the zerks will not accept grease. I have replaced both zerks and I still can not get grease in there. One zerk is the medium sized that is where the cylinder attaches to the quick attach plate, and the other is the small zerk at the base of the latch for the plate. Any ideas what to do or why this has happened. I appreciate in advance any insight into the problem.
Thanks Ryan

not greased often enough
For best results remove the pin where cylinder attaches the quick attach plate and remove all the dried grease

Dirtman2007
03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
yep the pin was not grease enough and the grease has gotton hard with dirt and clogged up the fitting. you'll have to pull the pin out and fitting and clean out the grease hole through the bushing and pin if its got one.

Nelson M Martin
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
yep the pin was not grease enough and the grease has gotton hard with dirt and clogged up the fitting. you'll have to pull the pin out and fitting and clean out the grease hole through the bushing and pin if its got one.

it is also possible the bushing in loader arm spun some ...so check if hole of grease fitting and hole in bushing still lineup

mcryan
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I suspected that it was not greased enough. Thanks for the advice.

Ryan

74inchShovel
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
One trick I use is to Carefully apply motion to joint while greasing, a two man job, but works pretty well. IMO, the electric grease guns have quite a bit more pressure than a hand pump, and between these I can get grease into most stuck fittings.

SellingIron
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Sounds like the bushings have turned.

ksss
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
One trick I use is to Carefully apply motion to joint while greasing, a two man job, but works pretty well. IMO, the electric grease guns have quite a bit more pressure than a hand pump, and between these I can get grease into most stuck fittings.

I do that as well when needed.

mxridernorth
03-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Just pull the pin. For the few minutes it takes to do that you'll save it in farting around.

hvy 1ton
03-03-2011, 02:22 AM
I have had problems with pins not taking(nothing wrong with the zerk) grease on several bobcats. 2 skids(both bucket pins) and a hoe(Stick cylinder and bucket pins) I have been told that bobcat has the tightest pin tolerances of any manufacturer. If the pin or bushing is a little out of spec(or both) it can make greasing difficult at best. Not sure if it's true, but the guy who told is generally a good source for such info.

skidsteer
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Spring ride trailer equalizers seem to be the worst for blocked grease fittings. More frequent greasing is the cure sometimes some heat from a torch will soften the old grease and allow it to flow. Use in conjuction with moving the function will often work.

Pulling the pin is the "sure fire" method, but not always the easiest depending on which pin your talking about.
Skidsteer

mcryan
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Well I pulled the pin and the problem is the hole from the zerk does not line up with the hole on the inside. I tried to remove this little cylinder that the pin goes inside and it wasn't happening. Bobcat said to try and cut it off with a torch.

swanny
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I've taken my plasma cutter and have scorched them with another hole if the bushing has spun or shifted. Could try a torch as well.

mcryan
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Do you think drilling a small hole would work?

Nelson M Martin
03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Do you think drilling a small hole would work?

I do not think you can drill a hole. That is a hardened bushing inside the cylinder end.
You should be able to use a short piece of shaft or pipe about the same size as the outside measurement of the hardened bushing and just punch the bushing out, cleanout the grease groove on the bushing , turn to desired position and reinstall

Bigred350
03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Check this out
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/vehicle-lubricants-oil/lubricating-equipment/grease-joint-rejuvenator-3950995

This thing works by putting motor oil in the metal tube. Then stick it on the clogged grease zerk. Then take a hammer and hit the top of the metal rod and it forces the oil in the zerk.

hvy 1ton
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Check this out
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/vehicle-lubricants-oil/lubricating-equipment/grease-joint-rejuvenator-3950995

This thing works by putting motor oil in the metal tube. Then stick it on the clogged grease zerk. Then take a hammer and hit the top of the metal rod and it forces the oil in the zerk.

The zerk is fine. The bushing spun and now the grease has nowhere to go.

I wouldn't cut the bushing out. Call an independent service truck and have them press out the bushing. Then realign it and press it back in. If you have time you can look around for used press. The only one i've used is an enerpac.

mcryan
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I tried a bushing driver but it won't budge. I will look into a press. Thanks for the help