PDA

View Full Version : Mowers?

countryscaper
09-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey..Got some questions concerning mowers..Does anybody have a Encore?..Mid mount..outfront..what do You think of it?...and has anybody tried the Ferris IS?......and how do these mowers compare to Exmark..Looking for some insight to the good mowers...Thanks

odin
09-15-2002, 02:33 PM
countryscaper

Havent owned a ferris but we did own a encore ours was a piece of junk

But that said maybe we got a bad one i dont know all i know is the one we got wasnt any good and cut like ****.
It was a 36 inch walkbehind.

Id stick with major brands like exmark toro dixie chopper scag and maybe ferris ive read good things about them on this sight and those guys who own ferris can advise you on them.

Scag48
09-15-2002, 06:40 PM
Before I bought my Exmark, I was calling dealers getting prices for 36" w/bs. I was looking at Toro at the time so I called a Toro dealer that sold Encore as well. The lady I was on the phone with told me she would rather see me with an Encore over Toro :confused: Don't understand that one. Anyway, stick with a name brand. Exmark, Toro, Scag, whatever you can get that has a good dealer nearby. A good dealer makes all the difference.

MikeLT1Z28
09-15-2002, 10:30 PM
if you get an encore better invest in extra blades for running doubles. build quality isn't too hot.

Scotlawncare
09-15-2002, 10:36 PM
Encore = Piece of JUNK. Blade speed is too slow for a good cut. Mower is too slow and not quality built. I have obtained all this from using one for just one week.

Ask 65Hoss, He owns the mower i used and he has the same thoughts as I do.

Ferris compaired to Exmark I don't know about. I run an Exmark 48" and love it. I ran a 36" Honda and a 52" bunton and the Exmark is HANDS DOWN much better.

Scot

65hoss
09-16-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by odin00
Havent owned a ferris but we did own a encore ours was a piece of junk

But that said maybe we got a bad one i dont know all i know is the one we got wasnt any good and cut like ****.
It was a 36 inch walkbehind.

I'm not real fond of mine. The cut quality is NOWHERE near the quality of the eXmarks. Blade speed is pretty slow. All the little parts seem to break pretty easy. I've been thru a few sets of spindle bearings. No matter how much grease I've put in them they just don't last.

The frame and deck are solid and well built. It makes a great bushhog. I tried recently to use it cutting grass again, but the cut compared to the eXmarks just was way to bad, so I put it back into daily retirement.

HarryD
09-16-2002, 01:55 AM
why not try putting a differnt size pully on the motor to make the blades spin faster . and see what that does

65hoss
09-16-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by HarryD
why not try putting a differnt size pully on the motor to make the blades spin faster . and see what that does

With a bad spindle design that eats up bearing pretty fast, that the last thing I need. Speeding things up would make it even worse.