PDA

View Full Version : making a trailer gate?

TuffWork
03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Just bought my first ZTR today. It's a 20hp 36" Walker. Seems to be in pretty good shape for an '07. It has almost 900hrs. My problem isn't the walker. It's my trailer. It was a good trailer when using it for tree trimming etc., and the size is perfect... 10x6. Which is perfect for the walker plus my three 21". Anyway, my trailer has no drop gate, which poses a problem. I don't have the money for a new trailer right now, but I might have the cash to assemble a trailer gate. Anyone got any suggestions for how to go about it? Where might I get the hardware for the hinges, etc.? Once this is accomplished I wanna build trimmer racks. Any suggestions on that would be helpful, too.

ashgrove landscaping
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Go to your local welding/metal shop and have them build what you need. It s real easy for them. Probably around $200 max.

BINKY1902
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Northern tool sells the weld on trailer gate hinges. I've used them on every trailer I've built.

XLS
03-02-2011, 10:21 PM
the hinge is as simple as 1# 8'' length of 1/2 rod and #2- 4'' long pieces of tubbing that will hold the pin weld the pin into one of the pieces of tubbing and weld it to the gate then weld the second piece to the trailer only ...simple

XLS
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
as for the weed eater racks you can go simple with a few feet of 1-3/4''X 1/8'' square tubbing and about #12 2.5'' long pieces of 1.5'' flat stock drill a 1/4'' hol in each of the pieces and weld them on to form the pin point for ewach trimmer ( these numbers will make a rack holding 3 units) for $ 45.00 of so

cvcook
03-02-2011, 10:34 PM
the hinge is as simple as 1# 8'' length of 1/2 rod and #2- 4'' long pieces of tubbing that will hold the pin weld the pin into one of the pieces of tubbing and weld it to the gate then weld the second piece to the trailer only ...simple

That's pretty much how I did mine. saw the hinge on my other trailer and thought...... hell, I can do that lol!

XLS
03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
yep .we have build close to 40 trailers for our work like that
and as long as he dont weld them togather its idiot proof lol

TuffWork
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't think about metal fabricators. I can deal with a couple hundred, and I'll have quite a bit of money coming up thanks to aeration, thatching, and fertilizing, but I need money to make money for those. (also need the ztr before that money comes back) This time of year I'm very frugal. I'm usually on the low side money wise because I've depleted most of my winter savings, but I need money to rent my aerator/thatcher and buy fert.

All else fails I'll get a buddy of mine that knows how to weld to help me. Problem is I'm busy and he's busy. I'd rather write a check. (albeit a small one) My time is precious at the moment. ---thanks again

ALC-GregH
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I built a side gate for my new trailer. I didn't even put a mower on it until I had it finished. It cost me over $200 in material and the gate is only a 4ftx4ft gate. I did all the labor/welding myself. You'll spend more then that if a fab shop is doing it.
I posted this before.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0042-1.jpg

XLS
03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
we go to a Auto parts store locally and they sell the metal ,have never priced a gate to be fabricated by anyone else.I know we can order a pre made gate for $450.00 for a 6'.5'' x4' standard gate at a trailer company ,we did it one time

TuffWork
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's the bids I got on fabbing the trailer gate: $500, $450, and $320. I was about to break down and pay the $320 when I found a 5 x 4 gate sitting on the ground at a trailer dealer. He said I could have it for $50. I just gotta weld it on. I think I'm gonna weld it with the 4 foot side on the trailer so me or one of the guys can unload the 21" mowers by hand.

He didn't return my phone call when I called to confirm I wanted it, though. So I'm a little worried. It's an unmanned trailer lot. You just call the number to talk to the guy. I'll try again tomorrow. He's probably just busy. I know I am this time of year.

XLS
03-04-2011, 09:53 PM
since we are talking about side gates on here i want to ask you guys ..... with the trailer on the truck does a 4' tall gate not make it drag when loading , we run alot of walkers and the ramp angle is far far less then with a walkbehind or push mower we have to run i think a 6' gate to give enough clearance under the frame . The walkers magicaly will hang up on a 1/2 piece of frame where the blower bolts into the frame. if it wasnt for that area a smaller gate would work .