PDA

View Full Version : Mixed fuel dispenser

Roger
09-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions on getting mixed fuel from the cans to hand powered equipment? I have Stihl gear, FS85 trimmer, FC stick edger, HS80 hedge clipper, ?? hand blower. I mix my 2 cycle fuel in 2 1/2 gallon cans. When I pour from the can into the tanks, I usually end up running them over.

Yes, this seems so simple, doesn't it? Just keep pouring, until the tank is full.... sounds easy, but I guess I'm a clutz! I'm an environmentalist's nightmare with spilled fuel.

Is there a small pump that can be used with the 2 1/2 gallon plastic can (or 5 gallon) that can easily control the flow of fuel from the can to the tank? I've looked in catalogs, but found nothing.

Or, does somebody have a better suggestion?

Thanks

Rooster
09-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Try checking a Home Improvement center for a siphon.

I use one for a kerosene heater, it works well for gas/oil mix also.

Rick

Fantasy Lawns
09-15-2002, 06:41 PM
http://www.ezdispensers.com/ez_pumper.htm
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gas_can.cfm

Green Pastures
09-15-2002, 07:52 PM
I love my "smart-fill" gas cans, BUT they do not work on smaller equipment such as line trimmers and hedge trimmers. The fill mouths on these pieces of equipment are just to small for the spout of the smart fill type cans to fit in.

I use a 1 gallon gas can with the long yellow nozzle and just slow down. As the gas starts to get near the top, close the vent on the gas can, the fuel flow slows considerably. Much easier to control.

Scott

Runner
09-15-2002, 08:13 PM
If you can't fill from a 2 1/2 gallon can and not keep from spilling it, you're SURE not going to be able to use any kind of pump or anything and not have it all over. The trick is, just like the employees are told. Just use a little care and common sense. There's no reason for all that waste. It can be avoided. We do it all the time.

Southern Lawns
09-15-2002, 11:00 PM
I've been called Mr. Spillman before. Always try and fill it right to the top. :o Found that just putting enough as to not pass the neck of the tank works for me. So.......I may fill it a little more often but never worry about topping it off. I also use a 2.5 gal. mix can. Of course you could leave the breather cap on to control the flow but it does pour slow enough to control.

weve
09-16-2002, 02:17 AM
I use the No-Spill brand can. they come in 2½ gal. and 1¼ gal. sizes. They also have adapter nozzles for six brands of plastic cans. I've seldom run a fuel tank over this season.

http://www.nospill.com/

Larry

Guido
09-16-2002, 04:56 AM
Sells a can over here that "smart fill" style for chainsaws. It works pretty good, not much spilling. I'd try something like that, its about as good as your going to get!

mowerman90
09-16-2002, 08:00 AM
I had the same problem and found a solution. Go to the auto parts store and buy a universial fuel pump and some gas hose and fittings. Then go to W-Mart and get the cheapest 12V battery they have. Stop by the hardware store and get a toggle switch and some wire. Take everything home and mount the fuel pump and switch to your trailer and you've got yourself a spillproof fueling system. I'll post pictures of mine later today but I've gotta get to work now.

awm
09-16-2002, 09:40 AM
why dont u just go to a gallon container for pouring. easier to controll and u can keep a container full, with 21/2 gallons made up in reserve,at say the first of the wk.

lakeviewnw
09-16-2002, 05:01 PM
There is another product out there called "Sure-Pour" which is an easy to use gascan (available in both 1 & 2.5 gal) which features a nozzle that automatically stops the flow of fuel when the tank is full....might check it out !!

Vibe Ray
09-17-2002, 02:41 AM
The Smart-Fill cans are definitely the solution for you. I love mine!

Roger
05-05-2003, 12:57 PM
I know this an old thread, but as a follow-up ...

I did get No-Spill nozzles for my mixed fuel cans. It works very well. I had to find a mail-order supply to get them -- no dealers around here. Thanks for the inputs.