PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good stick edger???

POWER STROKE
03-02-2011, 10:57 PM
I was just wondering if this is a good stick edger, ECHO 21.2 cc 8 in. Blade Stick Gas Edger
I know it's not commercial but I'm just starting out this year and do not have that much to invest in right now.

Thanks for any input or help!

booboy
03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Of all the cheap stuff echo is by far the best. It may even last you more than a couple years.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Do it right first buy the best you can buy in long run some cheap will break you be sending more time working on it then useing it
Time is Money

Baytownlawncare
03-03-2011, 04:51 AM
I bought a string trimmer last year from echo. Their stuff used to be really good but it is not so much now. I am going to dump it on craigslist in a few weeks and pick up a stihl edger and string trimmer. The trimmer has a vibration that is what I believe is a bad drive shaft about to break. Going to use it this week and then sell it as is.

lawnkingforever
03-03-2011, 06:20 AM
The model you are looking at is the PE-225. This unit would probably hold up for a season or 2. Though spending the extra $100 on the PE-230 would be a good investment.

ALC-GregH
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
The model you are looking at is the PE-225. This unit would probably hold up for a season or 2. Though spending the extra $100 on the PE-230 would be a good investment.

It will last a lot longer then that. I have all Echo stuff and I'm still using my 13 year old trimmer I bought originally to do just my own property. It's been working full time for going on 4 years now.

LawnGuy73
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Thats all we run is Echo, never had a problem.

ALC-GregH
03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I bought a string trimmer last year from echo. Their stuff used to be really good but it is not so much now. I am going to dump it on craigslist in a few weeks and pick up a stihl edger and string trimmer. The trimmer has a vibration that is what I believe is a bad drive shaft about to break. Going to use it this week and then sell it as is.

Those drive shafts aren't made out of a pill in a bottle. :laugh::laugh:

I doubt the shaft is "ready" to break. You just don't know what you're looking at.

LawnGuy73
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Or go with the PAS, that way you have your edger, trimmer, and anything else you need right there.

Cape Atlantic Landscaping
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
It should be alright for your first year or two, but then when you can afford it get a commercial type machine. The biggest thing with any two cycle is keep you gas mix right and use the pre mix bottles. Use all gas from can before adding more fuel and oil mix.
Another good tip is to keep your motor heads clean of grease,oil and dirt build up. Exhaust screens get dirty quickly and need cleaning if not you will lose power.

wvaughn7
03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
You should still be able to find the PE-200 instead of the PE-225. If you can I would get it. It has less carb restrictions, and in my opinion it is a better machine. We have had one for over a year and it is plenty for the average user. If you can't find the 200 thee 2125 should still be a great edger.

POWER STROKE
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks every one for your help and input

dutchacres
03-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Echo is junk. I have spent a small fortune in new echo equipment this past summer and have had so much trouble it is unbelievable. I got a brand new SRM265 less than a year old mix was always right and I went to start it the other day locked up tighter than a 90 yr old nun. Then I have had to take my pole pruners back twice with carb issues and my new handheld vac blower combo and they tell me it is junk only a year old and I didn't hardly use it. I got the PE280 edger and that thing is a pos also vibrates so damn bad you can't stand to use it and I paid high dollar for that edger and just wanna throw it over a cliff. The dealer charges me for everything like warranty won't cover anything. So I'm done with echo going back to either stihl or red max. Guess I should have known better considering they sell them at home depot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
If you're edging concrete side walks all the time, a McLane edger is really nice and easier to use than a stick edger.