PDA

View Full Version : stand-on vs walk behind

bobo316
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
i'm looking to buy either mower this year .can anyone give me some pro and con on this ,i have a few hillsides as well.all will be apprec.

buttaluv
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
you'll probably get a lot in OPINIONS....just remember that is exactly what they are, get what works for you!

that said, I bought a Wright Stander, put about 20 hours on it and sold it to go back to a walk behind....I have several hillsides as well....

Flat ground, it mowed great, and bagged great...but I could only use it on a hand full of my properties.

bobo316
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
thanks im trying to get away from my push mower,i have a ztr 52".and i know this summer is going to be another hot one.

ncknaklawns
03-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I use my stander on one slope that is ~38 degrees its 36in cut. With the bald tires last fall got real challenging. Just ordered some new ones online to see if I can change them out on my own. I bag everything so getting back to the truck ASAP gets me to my next lawn quicker. I don't know how you walkers can do it. I do the walking during the trim cycle=enough for me.

buttaluv
03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
thanks im trying to get away from my push mower,i have a ztr 52".and i know this summer is going to be another hot one.

If you already have a 52" ztr, I would definately get a W/B, put a velke on it and cut a rug!

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Well I live here in flat southeast Texas. I love my V-ride but with my weight on hills it will pop a wheelie. Other than that it is much faster then my walk behind. It is a 36" model and it get into tight spots and out again. I am still learning how to use it and mow real slow around obstacles but in the open I fly. I guess it depends on how your properties are. If you live in a hilly area you might want to think twice about a rider.

watsmi57
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
i'm looking to buy either mower this year .can anyone give me some pro and con on this ,i have a few hillsides as well.all will be apprec.

i just went thru all this, lotsa research and just bought 2 mowers. i felt like the perfect rig for me and my area was a 52 ztr and a 36 WB. the 36 is to go places the 52 can't get, like slopes and gated back yards. i also have some commercial accounts with some severe ditches that i have only been able to push mow so far. i, like you, also wanted to get away from the push mower . i felt like the wb was the best way to go. remember this - something you can walk behind will always hold hills better than anything you are sitting or standing on.

bobo316
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
thanks all,i really enjoyed all the input ,i think the walkbehind will be my choice.:)

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 03:26 PM
stand-on will cut lot faster than a walk behind once you will get used to a stand on you wont regret it

bobo316
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
stand-on will cut lot faster than a walk behind once you will get used to a stand on you wont regret it

when u do have to get off and walk, compared to the walkbehind ,is it fairly easy to operate it on a bank or ditchline?

DoetschOutdoor
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
My new ferris walkbehind and bullrider sulky will be picked up this next tuesday!!! I have a 48 ztr and a 36 wb and now will have the perfect residential and commerical mix for most properties. Alot of smaller residential customers do not like the big ztr mowers and a stand on is the same size.

ncknaklawns
03-05-2011, 03:25 AM
A couple times on real wet lawn I had to walk behind my stander and push it through no big deal.

Merkava_4
03-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Don't you guys get a little claustrophobic from standing in the same spot all day? ;)