PDA

View Full Version : stand-on vs walk behind

bobo316
03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
i'm looking to buy either mower this year .can anyone give me some pro and con on this ,i have a few hillsides as well.all will be apprec.

buttaluv
03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
you'll probably get a lot in OPINIONS....just remember that is exactly what they are, get what works for you!

that said, I bought a Wright Stander, put about 20 hours on it and sold it to go back to a walk behind....I have several hillsides as well....

Flat ground, it mowed great, and bagged great...but I could only use it on a hand full of my properties.

bobo316
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
thanks im trying to get away from my push mower,i have a ztr 52".and i know this summer is going to be another hot one.

ncknaklawns
03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I use my stander on one slope that is ~38 degrees its 36in cut. With the bald tires last fall got real challenging. Just ordered some new ones online to see if I can change them out on my own. I bag everything so getting back to the truck ASAP gets me to my next lawn quicker. I don't know how you walkers can do it. I do the walking during the trim cycle=enough for me.

buttaluv
03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
thanks im trying to get away from my push mower,i have a ztr 52".and i know this summer is going to be another hot one.

If you already have a 52" ztr, I would definately get a W/B, put a velke on it and cut a rug!

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Well I live here in flat southeast Texas. I love my V-ride but with my weight on hills it will pop a wheelie. Other than that it is much faster then my walk behind. It is a 36" model and it get into tight spots and out again. I am still learning how to use it and mow real slow around obstacles but in the open I fly. I guess it depends on how your properties are. If you live in a hilly area you might want to think twice about a rider.

watsmi57
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
i'm looking to buy either mower this year .can anyone give me some pro and con on this ,i have a few hillsides as well.all will be apprec.

i just went thru all this, lotsa research and just bought 2 mowers. i felt like the perfect rig for me and my area was a 52 ztr and a 36 WB. the 36 is to go places the 52 can't get, like slopes and gated back yards. i also have some commercial accounts with some severe ditches that i have only been able to push mow so far. i, like you, also wanted to get away from the push mower . i felt like the wb was the best way to go. remember this - something you can walk behind will always hold hills better than anything you are sitting or standing on.

bobo316
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
thanks all,i really enjoyed all the input ,i think the walkbehind will be my choice.:)

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
stand-on will cut lot faster than a walk behind once you will get used to a stand on you wont regret it

bobo316
03-04-2011, 03:11 PM
stand-on will cut lot faster than a walk behind once you will get used to a stand on you wont regret it

when u do have to get off and walk, compared to the walkbehind ,is it fairly easy to operate it on a bank or ditchline?

DoetschOutdoor
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
My new ferris walkbehind and bullrider sulky will be picked up this next tuesday!!! I have a 48 ztr and a 36 wb and now will have the perfect residential and commerical mix for most properties. Alot of smaller residential customers do not like the big ztr mowers and a stand on is the same size.

ncknaklawns
03-05-2011, 02:25 AM
A couple times on real wet lawn I had to walk behind my stander and push it through no big deal.

Merkava_4
03-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Don't you guys get a little claustrophobic from standing in the same spot all day? ;)

MAD Lawn Care
03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Hello, I owe a Cleaning Service and was asked by a few of my clients if we do Lawn Care. I started looking into it and seems like a good move. I don't plan on offering my services to everyone, only my existing clients. So I don't need a lot of equipment. I plan on buying

1. Stander 32' Riding Mower
2. 50.8 cc Backpack Blower with Tube-Mounted Throttle
3. 22.8cc Curved Shaft Trimmer
4. PE-230 edger

Any suggestions on the equipment I plan on buying?

ashgrove landscaping
03-16-2015, 11:31 PM
If you already have a 52" ztr, I would definately get a W/B, put a velke on it and cut a rug!

I second this response.:weightlifter:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-16-2015, 11:55 PM
What is the difference Both of them you can stand on it or walk behind

WB with a velke will keep the hip loose

To the OP I'm bias I don't have either and if I did pick one be a Trimstar Hustler I would use it on hills

Few years back I had time prepare for a bid a 16 acre lawn that wasn't much flat ground so I tested WB and Stand on models.
One dealer wouldn't even demo the wright Stand on this lawn. He didn't even unload.
My DC would climb the hills but I wanted find something more safer for my employees to run.
And the Trimstar was the best. Come bidding time I didn't win. So ever bought one .
Dixie Chopper makes them now both stand on and WB again I love DC but I would still buy the Trimstar if I ever need one.

TPendagast
03-17-2015, 02:25 AM
Hello, I owe a Cleaning Service and was asked by a few of my clients if we do Lawn Care. I started looking into it and seems like a good move. I don't plan on offering my services to everyone, only my existing clients. So I don't need a lot of equipment. I plan on buying

1. Stander 32' Riding Mower
2. 50.8 cc Backpack Blower with Tube-Mounted Throttle
3. 22.8cc Curved Shaft Trimmer
4. PE-230 edger

Any suggestions on the equipment I plan on buying?

do you do windows? sell ice cream?
Maybe change their oil while you are at their house too?

brianslawncare
03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
I have a scag turf tiger 61 inch and 3 exmark walkbehinds with sulky's and I can keep up with the z. Also I do hills and I can ride on the sulky on some but if not I just fold it up and keep going! I'm 220lbs and my 3 walkbehind have 2 with a 15hp kawi and 1 has a 23 kawi and they pull me great.plus with the sulky you have no problems with your back at the end of the day!
Posted via Mobile Device

hackitdown
03-17-2015, 05:29 PM
In my experience, a stander is way more productive than a WB. Sure, a sulky can allow fast cutting speed in a straight line. But the stander will make quicker transitions to and from reverse, so you can quickly and easily do complex turns around obstacles like swingsets, patios, beds, etc. Plus, it is nearly impossible to back up a sulky any distance. Standers are quicker to maneuver on and off the trailer, we do a 180 and drive right down the ramp.

Standers are less tiring for you or your help. Better resale. More fun to operate.

For just a few more dollars, I'd go stander.