PDA

View Full Version : Lesco coming to Home Depot?

JJOHN22042
09-15-2002, 08:15 PM
– LESCO, Inc., has been chosen as a supplier to the Home Depot Landscape Supply pilot stores opening in August and September.

"LESCO branded products are the preferred choice of the lawn care contractor," said Michael P. DiMino, President and Chief Executive Officer of LESCO. "We have been successfully supplying professional grade products to Home Depot’s traditional home improvement stores and our product line will extend naturally into its pilot stores."

Home Depot intends to open three stand-alone pilot stores dedicated to the landscape business in its headquarters’ city of Atlanta. The new stores will target the professional landscaper and the avid do-it-yourself enthusiast. LESCO will supply professional-grade fertilizer and combination products for the professional lawn care customer under its own brand. The company has been a supplier to Home Depot for the past 10 years and is supplying fertilizer, combination products and seed to more than 800 of their locations.

"It’s important that we show our professional landscape customers that we’re serious about serving their needs," said Todd Williams, director, Home Depot Landscape Supply. "LESCO is a name recognized by landscapers as a company with professional grade products. This is why we thought LESCO products would be a good fit for our pilot stores
:D

soccer coach
09-15-2002, 08:25 PM
This type of thing is why we don't buy our products form Lesco as they are our competition. It seems to me that more lco's would feel the same and not buy from the competition. Ex. McDonalds doesn't buy it's meat from Hardees. If they did what is the need for Mcdonalds, why not skip the upcharge and get the smae product from the source if you can.

Cleve
09-15-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by soccer coach
This type of thing is why we don't buy our products form Lesco as they are our competition.

I guess I'm missing something here. What do you mean by "competition"? Seems that this is just another source to get the Lesco products to more areas. And I do believe that if you check the prices you might find that you will get the same product at the Lesco warehouse a little cheaper. At least that has been my observation. I purchase from Lesco and intend to keep doing so even though a local Home Depot carries some of their products now.
Cleve.

The Mowerdude
09-15-2002, 09:36 PM
When buying at Lesco, one of the "PERKS" is that the sales staff here, is very knowledgable and able to give good solid answers to the questions that professionals ask. On the other hand, if the "experts" at Home Depot had that kind of real world praticality, they wouldn't need to work for Home Depot. So, are we to buy our stuff at Home Depot and then call our Lesco store for advice?

Also, when I sell an overseeding job, I have a higher measure of confidence offering Lesco's Teammates and I like knowing that my local Home Depot can't get something that I can. If Teammates is available at Home Depot, the customers will begin to wonder what they're paying me for.

NO!! I don't like this at all!!

I hope Lesco reads this thread. If Lesco products become available at Home Depots across the nation, it may sell more product initially, but what impact will it have on the professional community? ....or on Lesco in the long run?

Echo did this some time back. Years ago, Echo was considered to be professional grade tools. We only got them at the dealers that specialized in selling to the pros. Then they went into Home Depot and many of the LCOs around here stopped buying them because if it was available at a "discount" store, there must have been a good reason for it, namely, they were cheapening it. Also, when folks bought Echo products at Home Depot and then needed to have them serviced, guess what?!! Home Depot wouldn't do it. So the customer had to take the Echo to the dealer that was selling it before Home Depot undercut him.

My dealer explained it to me that, in order to carry Echo products, he had to agree to provide service. But Home Depot got an exemption. Then when he found himself buried in service from Echos that Home Depot sold, he just quit selling them.

Now, the only time you see an Echo product, it's usually in the hands of a homeowner. There's an extremely small percentage of LCOs around here that use Echos.

So what I'm saying is this. If Lesco goes into Home Depots everywhere, they will really cheapen their products in the minds of the consumers.

Oh, here's another example. In all the time I've been in business, I have never ever had a customer want me to use Scotts or Penncoat products. They've always viewed me as a professional and assumed that I would use a higher grade product. I've always supported that assumption by using Lesco products, but now it looks like I'll have the props knocked out from under me.

TurfGuyTX
09-15-2002, 09:39 PM
I'm glad Home Depot is going to carry some Lesco products. Though I'll probably still get mine at a Lesco service center, it's nice to know Home Depot will offer a little more.

I don't feel bad for the dealer's servicing Home Depot's Echos either. They are not doing it for free. The dealers still get the business because they offer more than Home Depot in selection.

I beg to differ that professional LCO's don't use Echo. Just like Stihl, Red Max, Shindaiwa and many others, Echo is used by many pro's. Just not always the models offered at Home Depot.

soccer coach
09-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Last year I had a customer tell me to pass on mowing the rest of the year. She went on to tell me she bought a John Deere like mine at Home Depot, not. Mine,JX 85 cost around 800.00 hers a homeowners mower that cost about 300.00. I like my JD but it made me think, do my customers think that they have the same equipment I use in the shed? I buy my seed from Helena Chemical and it just so happens my customers can't get the seed on their own. My lesco spreader says blank now as I removed it so my customers wouldn't even think I got my products from them. Helena will not sell back door to the public and will sell to you so you can make a fair profit. Sorry but this strikes a nerve that others can't see the light. If you can't understand why this practice shouldn't be supported then you just failed the scrub test my friend.

TurfGuyTX
09-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Does $200K + gross annually fail the scrub test? I don't even want to start comparisons. Would you drive an extra 25 or more miles to get unplanned bag of fert when you could get it 6 blocks away? If so, good for you. You don't have to support Home Depot. Everyone can make their own decision.

Many thought that neighborhood hardware stores were history because of Home Depot. I've seen many of them flourish. They know people will come to them for service and knowledge that Home Depot doesn't always offer.

If you don't like Lesco and Home Depot shop somewhere else. That's the great thing about this country, you have a choice.

soccer coach
09-15-2002, 10:19 PM
I understand about an occasional bag because it's close, that isn't what I meant. I live in a market that a big chemical co. tested selling the companys lawn program at Home Depot. Then Lesco followed by bringing in Lesco products to the store. I watched my buddies construction biz take a hit from Home Depot by hiring out cheap labor to do installs and by doing that driving down the price on everything. The average homeowner can add, they see a bag fert do the math and find out they can use the SAME product as you but do it at a savings.

MikeLT1Z28
09-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by TurfGuyTX

I don't feel bad for the dealer's servicing Home Depot's Echos either. They are not doing it for free. The dealers still get the business because they offer more than Home Depot in selection.

yeah, but also if you have to have something serviced at that dealer, be it an echo product or otherwise, now you have a wait because every homeowner took their home depot bought stuff there for repair. downtime=no money.

just a thought.

TurfGuyTX
09-15-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MikeLT1Z28

yeah, but also if you have to have something serviced at that dealer, be it an echo product or otherwise, now you have a wait because every homeowner took their home depot bought stuff there for repair. downtime=no money.

just a thought.

The dealer's that do my work, do it the same day if they have the parts they need. They put all commercial LCO's ahead of homeowners. I enjoy the added service. I hope alot of you guys have dealers that do the same for you.

The Mowerdude
09-15-2002, 10:39 PM
There's still the matter of public perception.

Home Depot sells based on price. So, if Lesco products are offered there and then show up on our trucks, what's to keep the customer from thinking that we are going the cheap route on their lawns?

Also, I didn't say that Echos weren't being used by pro LCOs, it's just that we don't see many in this area. And our dealer quit carrying them. Granted maybe he did "make" money on the repairs, but it must not have been enough to warrant the hassle of dealing with Joe Public.

That would be like us anticipating a big landscape job from a long time customer. We give a fair price and we know that it'll be a very good intall with high quality. Then the customer gets a scrub to do it at half the price. When no pre-em is put in the mulch, our customer calls us to pull the weeds. Yes, we can charge for it, but personally I'd resent it so much that I'd have to say no. It would feel like I was getting my nose rubbed in it.

How do you suppose the Lesco managers feel when the corporate office demands that they meet certain numbers each month and then Home Depot offers the same stuff? A guy wouldn't be able to win.

TurfGuyTX
09-15-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm not Home Cheapo's biggest fan. I do think just because it's offered at home depot doesn't make joe homeowner think that's it's cheap. If a plumber came to a home with a Moen or Delta faucet, would there be a bad perception? My customers trust me in regards to their lawn.

MikeLT1Z28
09-15-2002, 10:45 PM
one of my dealers (who sells echo) puts lco's ahead. heard them tell someone who brought their ryobi trimmer in that it'd be 5 weeks! :eek:

i'm just thinking of the guys who aren't as fortunate, or how it may affect dealers.

The Mowerdude
09-15-2002, 10:59 PM
I guess it really doesn't matter. They're gonna do whatever they want to anyway.

I just get things going the way I like, I'm using products that I like, I'm stacking it up against the newbs with the Penncoat brand and I'm proud that mine is better and now we find that the newbs will be able to offer it as well. And the homeowner will know pretty much what my cost is if they just stroll the aisles and I guess this has all been a comfort zone that now will be changed and I'll have to make adjustments. I got too many other things to do, as well.

Darn it!!:(

If Billy Goat starts distributing their materials loaders in Home Depot, I may go as far as suicide. :D

KLMlawn
09-15-2002, 11:33 PM
In this area, Home depot has been selling a limited variety of Lesco products for the last 2-3 years that I can remember, this is nothing new!
I personally think that Lesco marks up their product way too much for what it gives in return. If you know your N-P-K and the levels, the release rates of the different kinds of blends and "ingredient" materials, you often ... NO, always can do better buying at another from another supplier who has the exact same or very similar ingrediants and values for much, much less. That also includes seed and other chemicals. If you know your business and everything it entails, buyimng form Lesco, or any other major dealer or manufacturer isn't a problem.
Example-
18-24-12 30%SCU(blend)= $13.65 a 50# bag Max coverage 12K
or
13-25-12 Minimal (blend) = $7.99 a 50# bag Max coverage 10K
17-22-10 60%SCU (blend) = $12.99 a 50# bag - max coverage 12K
Which would you use for starter or in conjuction with new or overseeding???????

20-10-10 50%SCU 1%Fe (blend) = $10.99 a 50#bag - coverage 10K
or
20-8-8 50SCU 3%Fe (blend) = $8.99 a 50# bag - coverage 10K

Again, which would you use for a general fertilizer app????
Bottom line, it depends on your individual customer needs and your preference on fertilizer components.
I think that if Lesco wants to lower themselves to the level of gaining the biggest market share buy going into "discount" stores, let them .... I don't shop there unless I need to, which is very rare because there isn't much more that the guys at the 5 Lesco's on Long Island know than I do ...
Am I a "know it all" NO, but I know as much about lawn care as most of them combined. AND, they carry MTD commercial machines and the few Kawi trimmers and Classen aerators. Most of their locations DO NOT have mechanics, they have to send your repairs out to a location that does have a mechanic on staff, which can take a few days to a week or more to get a problem fixed. So really ... WHAT GOOD ARE THEY????????????

KirbysLawn
09-16-2002, 10:21 AM
Lesco has been selling products here for years at Home Depot, including mowers. Actually they have come and gone, they no longer sell the equipment.

As for pricing maybe some of you should check...25 pounds of transition blend sells for $42 and 50 pounds sells for $69, that's $1.38 a pound...I pay $0.79 a pound. I have had people ask before if I will aerate and they apply the seed, I say know and point out that for what they are paying Home Depot to stock the seed on the shelves they could pay me to apply it.

The Mowerdude
09-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I think I had a panic attack.

I was over at Lesco today. They said that Home Depot has been selling their seed and fert for years, but other than that, the only thing that Home Depot has been selling is some pre-emergent in the spring. All at prices above what the Lesco service centers sell to the pros.

They also said the market in Atlanta does not have a Lesco service center close by and the only reason they went into Home Depot there was to give folks a place to buy without having to open an entire service center.

Whew...... I feel better now.

hustlers
09-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Home Depot is MURRAY quality for sales and service

**** **** my dad worked there and they let
him go after 3 hrs if its slow or make him stay
till midnight if its busy. Make him work Sundays
till he quit
and just played screwed with him
I will never support and big box stores
spend your money on local businesses or those
who truly care about something other
than money and pay extra for it.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-16-2002, 09:41 PM
I've seen the lesco products at the home depot here, and i can get better seed(in my oppinon) for less money from another source that sells only to LCO'S. just my thoughts...thanks

Husqman
09-16-2002, 10:12 PM
My dealer handles Husqvarna and echo equipment and when he heard Lowe's was going to start carrying Husqvarna his eyes lit up with $$$$. Then when he started doing there warranty work for the price they would pay he decided he might have to drop the Husqvarna line. So basically Echo and Husqvarna in the long run might be screwing thereselves down the road. Maybe I don't know.

BeautifulBlooms
02-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I asked my Lesco rep the other day and he said the markup from a service center to a contractor to a homeowner at home depot is like 40% i have not verified that yet but thats what he said, I am also unsure if that meant small contractor or very large contractor so there could be a big difference. If these prices are correct, it will only make YOUR SALE TO THE HOMEOWNER easier. they will think you are doing the application for almost nothing when in actuality your price is 40% cheaper than Home Depot. Now I mark up my product 25% from my cost and tack on an site visit fee, but that will get my price just a little above what Home Depot would charge. AGAIN ALL OF THIS IS IF HIS MARKUP IS ACCURATE at 40%

Richard Martin
02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
This type of thing is why we don't buy our products form Lesco as they are our competition. It seems to me that more lco's would feel the same and not buy from the competition.

In my area Lesco isn't the competition even though they have been selling to the public from their store forever and through the Home Depot for years. Why not? Because for the vast majority of my customers the very thought of having to try to figure out how much product to put on their yards from a bag that doesn't list the settings for a Scotts drop spreader is too much for them. That's why they pay me.

Duck Dodger
02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't do alot of fert usually about one pallot per app. Last year I was in Home Depot and they were selling pre-m for around 2$ cheaper per bag than what I was paying for it a pallot at a time. I know lesco offers good products but I felt screwed and will never buy lesco again.

KLMlawn
02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't do alot of fert usually about one pallot per app. Last year I was in Home Depot and they were selling pre-m for around 2$ cheaper per bag than what I was paying for it a pallot at a time. I know lesco offers good products but I felt screwed and will never buy lesco again.

If I am not mistaken, until late last year, Lesco pricing was done basically in two levels .... Retail and National Account pricing. Unless you were TGCL, Lawn Doctor, Home Depot, etc. you paid one set retail price that could not really be changed.
In the later part of last year, due to some management changes, Lesco has gone back to a similar form of their old "tier" level pricing based upon volume purchased.
So a company that only buys maybe a half to one skid at a time will pay more than the company buying 10-20 skids, that company will pay more than the one buying 100, and so on ...
My point here is, your local lesco store couldn't sell their own product to you cheaper, corporate would not let them, but Home Depot was purchasing enough to get a major price break and therefore could sell it to you cheaper and still make a profit.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Home Depot Landscape Supply is a joke next to a Lesco store. The staff are generally uneducated with regards to the chemical side of the business. They don't carry anything chemical applicators need...like spreader/sticker, fusilade, atrazine, simizine...things like that, they don't even have. I get better prices from the Lesco guys on almost everything too, the only exception being glyphosphate.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper