PDA

View Full Version : Shop Lighting

adamholz17
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
What is everyone using for lighting in your shop, and are they working for you? I am building a 40-60 post frame with 14' side walls, and can't seem to decide what type of lighting to put up. Around here there are quite a bit of 400 watt Metal Halide shop lights for sale, although I have a chance to get quite a few fluorescent lights for cheap/free.

By your experience would fluorescent lights do any good for a shop with 14 walls, and if so how many square feet can they cover (assuming more for the area where we work on equipment.) On the other hand would a few halide bulbs do a better job, especially since they are only 30 bucks a light?

Possibly a mixture of both so I don't have to worry about letting the halide bulbs warm up and can have instant lighting by the fluorescents?

Let me know your experiences and your recommendations.

Mountain Peak
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
My cousin just build a huge shop and T5's were what he used. They make the place really bright and are pretty good on electricity.

Dogbonz
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
for the Elc bill alone,, you'll want the fluorescents, as the others really suck up the juice!
I'd take all the free lighting you can get. If you need a certain work area brighter, I wouldn't us Metal halide.
In your work area,, you could do like in a paint booth, and build some of the fixtures vertically in the walls for a better side lighting effect.

cvcook
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Metal Halides take a while to warm up also

adamholz17
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
The current shop I'm in has just a few fluorescents and it is no where near enough light. Sounds like they produce enough light for you guys though huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mountain Peak
03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
The T5's in my cousins shop could be used for grow lights. they are BRIGHT!!!