PDA

View Full Version : Toro front or rear wheel s/p push mower

THIESSENS TLC
03-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new s/p push mower this year, probably a Toro.
Anybody have any opinions on front or rear wheel drive? How about the mowers themselves, are they any good? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :canadaflag:

fga
03-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I almost bought one today, the SR (super recycler) series. It looked promising, solid machine but alot lighter then a heavy duty push behind.
I opted to just put a new engine on my duraforce lawnboy deck instead, for almost the same price..:)
I may go in a week and pick it up anyway, i was so torn between my choices...new engine, or new mower.

The toro was about $460 with tax.

i get sentimental with equipment and keep it going.

THIESSENS TLC
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
im kinda the same way, just like to keep things goin, keep fixin them, try to get the most out of them. I've got a 22" craftsman with a tecumseth engine (eager1) that i got off the side of the road for free 3 years ago and its still goin. This thing is ancient, just put about $60 into it and it runs great. A little loud but whatever. :laugh: The front wheel drive is starting to mess up, and I dont feel like fixing it. I think its time for a new mower:drinkup:

cvcook
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
That's a no brainer, get RWD, FRD loses traction when the catcher gets full due to the weight on the back

Keepin' It Green
03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I have a Toro Personal Pace mower with rear wheel drive and it's great. It's probably 5 years old and the only problem I have had is the plastic wheel hubs breaking. Easy fix though. Can get two rear wheels for 50 bucks. Starts first or second pull every time. Definitely get rear wheel drive though. I have had front wheel drive mowers and the wheels just end up spinning and you don't go anywhere.

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ok sounds good, and thanks for the info. I have a FRD craftsman and have never had a problem with weight issues due to too much grass in the bag....but ok, makes sense anyways. one more ?, do you use commercial or residential PP mower. I dont even know if there is a PP mower thats commercial. I've just seen the residential mower.

Thanks guys!:canadaflag:

dcjb
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
i have a toro, 10 years old in april, no trouble at all
change oil, gas and go. def. a rear wh. drive for me.
looking to get a new super recycler this year.

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
front

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
front

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

you must have nothing better to do with your time. 10+

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
+1 for you. Simple answer to a simple question.

But, if you want me to go more into it, I too have been looking at the Toro "super recyclers" and the "personal pace" models. Right now I'm using a fairly new Deere push mower (front) that seems to be doing fine. Like someone else said, just change the oil, filter, spark, fresh gas, and you're good to go. I use mine for small residential sections so it really doesn't see much use. What's funny is it gets used less now that I have a full on landscaping biz with real commercial mowers than it did just cutting our home. I've heard good things about the toro's and that's what I plan on getting next.

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
+1 for you. Simple answer to a simple question.

hows business down south?

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Surprisingly well, but not great. I've been doing a good bit of advertising here lately through Craigslist and getting calls daily. I started last season (although I've been doing this my whole life for other companys) and gained upwards of 20 customers (alot of those were customers I had before I went to college and retained) so this season I'm just trying to tack on as many as possible because everyone wants bi-weekly service so (I want to do 25 yards a week, 5 a day) so now instead of just having 25 customers I need to get 50, know what I mean. Blows.

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
does the grass not grow down there or something, or do you not get enough rain? I usually cut every week up here starting in april until about mid july & august, then it just gets too dry....hardly any rain! then it comes back to weekly cutting at the start of september. Do you bag all the clippings or mulch them....either way it will probably be a bit more time for you to cut @ every other week, no?

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I mean I have some weekly customers, people that actually care, but it's a combination of rain and the economy here in America. I cut in mainly the "middle class" area and most of the average people go bi-weekly every time. It's the "economical" choice I guess. Sure I could cut all of them out and only take on weekly customers but then I wouldn't be working hardly at all. I wish everyone was gung ho about having it cut weekly or I'd have already reached my goal, but that's just not the case.

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I mean I have some weekly customers, people that actually care, but it's a combination of rain and the economy here in America. I cut in mainly the "middle class" area and most of the average people go bi-weekly every time. It's the "economical" choice I guess. Sure I could cut all of them out and only take on weekly customers but then I wouldn't be working hardly at all. I wish everyone was gung ho about having it cut weekly or I'd have already reached my goal, but that's just not the case.

100% of something is better than 100% of nothing i guess. I just do residential mainly because I dont have the equipment to do commercial properties, but also, its extremely low overhead. Stay small and solo and you make alot of money. I wont take on anything that takes more than 30 mins per cut, trim, etc. which I usually get paid $35-40 for doing.

Southern Pride
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
100% of something is better than 100% of nothing i guess. I just do residential mainly because I dont have the equipment to do commercial properties, but also, its extremely low overhead. Stay small and solo and you make alot of money. I wont take on anything that takes more than 30 mins per cut, trim, etc. which I usually get paid $35-40 for doing.

Funny you say that. I am the exact same way. Do most everything with my eXmark 36" belt drive. Got a call a couple days ago from the president of some run down apartments with a LOT of grass. Like 3 football fields worth. Said she "wanted" to pay $700/mo. cut every 10 days (3 cuts a month for $700) which would be great to fill up some of my early week time but I realized that the commercial side of business is going for very very cheap. I might still put a bid in but for more like $900 for 3 cuts/month. Anyway, residentials are what I'm comfortable with and I have no problem sticking to them.

THIESSENS TLC
03-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Residential is the way to go, let pedro cut those commercial properties for peppers. They will give it to him anyways because like you said they dont care if its brown grass, as long as its cut. And homeowners will pay because they care what their lawn looks like. I basically cut grass on the side for disposable income....pays for some gas, food, entertainment, fishing, and my mx riding habits. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to check out some toros (dont worry i wont buy from them). dealer for me, i just dont want to drive an hour tomorrow to the dealer to look at the same mower. dealer just has better service, and can get PARTS!

Merkava_4
03-04-2011, 11:57 PM
The Toro model 22198 is the most widely used Toro 21 out here in Central California; but I can't tell you why
because I don't know. All I know is that whenever I see an LCO using a Toro 21, it's always that model.

http://toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/proline21/22198.html

Southern Pride
03-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Residential is the way to go, let pedro cut those commercial properties for peppers. They will give it to him anyways because like you said they dont care if its brown grass, as long as its cut. And homeowners will pay because they care what their lawn looks like. I basically cut grass on the side for disposable income....pays for some gas, food, entertainment, fishing, and my mx riding habits. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to check out some toros (dont worry i wont buy from them). dealer for me, i just dont want to drive an hour tomorrow to the dealer to look at the same mower. dealer just has better service, and can get PARTS!

I am somewhat similar. I cut grass mainly because I really enjoy it. Not just that though, I love how cool mowers are getting, love working on mine and always adding equipment, and keeping things in great condition. Also LOVE being my own boss, owning a company, and watching it become successful. Means alot to me. However, I'm not one of these LCO's that just does landscaping. I saved up mowing money last summer to pay for EMT school, been doing that all fall, winter, and will be done in spring so I can get hired as a firefighter. Want to do THAT fulltime and grow my business RIGHT where I want it, and am comfortable. Also, this way I get to pick my favorite customers, and weed out anyone but the best customers. Till I get to that point, gotta take what I can get.

THIESSENS TLC
03-05-2011, 12:06 AM
The Toro model 22198 is the most widely used Toro 21 out here in Central California; but I can't tell you why
because I don't know. All I know is that whenever I see an LCO using a Toro 21, it's always that model.

http://toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/proline21/22198.html

I've looked at those, but I dont need a commercial mower as I dont do that much cutting. looking for something half that price. Thanks though!

THIESSENS TLC
03-05-2011, 12:21 AM
I am somewhat similar. I cut grass mainly because I really enjoy it. Not just that though, I love how cool mowers are getting, love working on mine and always adding equipment, and keeping things in great condition. Also LOVE being my own boss, owning a company, and watching it become successful. Means alot to me. However, I'm not one of these LCO's that just does landscaping. I saved up mowing money last summer to pay for EMT school, been doing that all fall, winter, and will be done in spring so I can get hired as a firefighter. Want to do THAT fulltime and grow my business RIGHT where I want it, and am comfortable. Also, this way I get to pick my favorite customers, and weed out anyone but the best customers. Till I get to that point, gotta take what I can get.

I dont do landscaping...dont have the time, or the vision. :dizzy: I just love cuttin grass. Maybe one day it might turn into something a bit bigger and better. I'm not tryin to go full-time with it, I advertise with my website, kijiji, and hopefully word-of-mouth! I dont pay for advertising...my website is free because I give one of my customers a free cut, bed clean-up, and fertilize once a year. She is a website designer. Its a damn good deal in my eyes. Just looking for a few more customers for now. We'll see what happens with this **** economy first before I even think about going full-time.

bare spot
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
can someone tell how engaging these drive systems work on the some recycler mowers? i'm familar with the lawnboys, where the drive gets engaged by using a bail handle but on these it looks like ya got to push it forward or something. has anybody used or tried both systems and/or prefer one over the other? thanks

coopmaster
06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I've looked at those, but I dont need a commercial mower as I dont do that much cutting. looking for something half that price. Thanks though!

Look at the Toro 20192. A lot less money. I've had mine two years now and cut about 20 residential yards per week. Hardly any problems.

bare spot
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Look at the Toro 20192. A lot less money. I've had mine two years now and cut about 20 residential yards per week. Hardly any problems.
think i have that mower, in green, if that's the old or close to lawn boy 22271. it's been a good mower, picked it up in 07 and it's still going strong. not sure how many hrs wkly but it gets a lot of use. just replaced the gears on it, wore them down but it's easy to work on. like said been a good mower, like how it bags, wanna pick up another one soon.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I love the toro 21" that we have
they are older models which I personally think run better and last much longer compared to the newer models. I would go for the rear wheel drive

lawnboy dan
06-13-2011, 05:52 PM
good luck finding a toro rear drive that isnt personal pace now. every model but one has it now-idiots

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-13-2011, 06:03 PM
good luck finding a toro rear drive that isnt personal pace now. every model but one has it now-idiots

I had a good reason for the older models...........

Merkava_4
06-13-2011, 11:22 PM

You just have to spend the big bucks for a Toro Commercial and you'll get rear wheel drive. :D

lawnboy dan
06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
i have 4 prolines thankyou-i am not afraid to spend $ for the right machine. its the cheapskates here that need to learn this

tarheelman
06-26-2011, 12:28 AM

No offense, Dan, but Toro puts Personal Pace on every self propelled residential model because it sells well. In other words, it's what homeowners who cut their own grass want.

lawnboy dan
06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
they are fools and idiots who dont know any better. personal pace sucks !

coopmaster
06-26-2011, 09:44 PM

What is wrong with the Personal Pace? I've had two - Lawnboy 10685 and Toro 20192. Both have served me well in hilly Western PA.

tarheelman
06-26-2011, 10:47 PM

Dan, you're entitled to your opinion, and if you don't like Personal Pace, that's OK. However, just because you don't like it doesn't make everyone who does like Personal Pace an idiot.

I've had a Personal Pace Toro Super Recycler for two years and I like it. Unlike a 5-speed John Deere 14SB I had for nine years, my Toro's drive system doesn't engage abruptly--it's very smooth. Plus, for me, not having to stop and change gears in order to change the drive's speed is more convenient and, consequently, makes the Toro easier to operate than the Deere was.

lawnboy dan
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
the way the desighn works is it slips the belt to vary the speed and you provide the assist by pushing the mower at less than full ground speed. i want self propel to be just that-it pulls strong at all speeds! its a cheap way of providing varaiable ground speeds that dosnt provide the pull needed for commercial work applications. -like mowing slopes and soft thick spongy st aug grass

canuck88
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Dan, you're entitled to your opinion, and if you don't like Personal Pace, that's OK. However, just because you don't like it doesn't make everyone who does like Personal Pace an idiot.

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add my 2 cents in case anyone comes across it through a search like I did.

I've had a Personal Pace Toro Super Recycler for two years and I like it. Unlike a 5-speed John Deere 14SB I had for nine years, my Toro's drive system doesn't engage abruptly--it's very smooth. Plus, for me, not having to stop and change gears in order to change the drive's speed is more convenient and, consequently, makes the Toro easier to operate than the Deere was.

Agree completely. I have a 10686 with 'sens-a-speed' and I like it just as much as the 5spd on my 14SB. Yes, it doesn't pull me around the yard - but I'm not a weakling and don't mind the 3-5lbs of pressure I need to put on the handle to make it go. Mine is almost 7 years old and not a single problem with it.

Dan, you're such a broken record when it comes to belt-slipping and 1 speed transmissions - I'm new here and to the other forums where you spout the same option, but frankly I think everyone is tired of it. The newish eXmark x-series also went with a belt slip because contractors were asking for it - so apparently your opinion is not the 'right' one - to each his own.