PDA

View Full Version : SCAG 32 on CL for $800 - worth the trouble?

LAWN ENFORCEMENT SERVICES
03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Found this on CL, He's lowered it from $1300 to 800. Says it runs and mows fine, I've only been in contact with him via text. He doesn't know what year it is.

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/for/2220264654.html

Tried some searching on here and net for a $ price but not much luck.
The area of TX I live in is really stressed and poor if you will, so I could see this going for a low price as I do know they run in the thousands.

What do I need to look for? Hours, etc... Never have owned a walk behind, I only run lawn tractors at this time...it's time to upgrade.

Thanks to all.

fatboynormmie
03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks like a nice machine at a good price .If I was a local I would buy it and flip it come spring for 1500.

TopNotchLawnCare
03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Go for it! I'd buy it for $800 if it was in my area.

CLS LLC
03-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Seems like a fine deal. It's a belt drive and that's why it is so cheap. They are a little more difficult to run than a hydro machine but for your first walk behind it should work fine. As far as things to look for. Check all the belts, tires, oil, blades, fuel filter and air filter. Grab the each blade at the end and try to move it up and down to see if the spindles have any play. It might be a good idea to remove the blade belt before doing this if it isn't too much trouble. It won't likely have an hour meter. The other thing I would check is make sure all gears for the transmission work properly and check for leaks. Make sure the fluid level in the transmission is full. Check the front casters and make sure the caster and wheel bearings aren't worn out. Pull the spark plug and make sure it isn't black, also if it's brand new that may be a sign of some issues too. The last thing I would check is make sure the brakes work properly and well.

If any of these things don't work right or are bad offer him less money.

Oh and one last thing. When you get there make sure the engine is cold and pull it over multiple times while its cold. I assume it is the kawasaki engine and with age then tend to have decompression issues and the pull cord can rip out of your hand sometimes.