PDA

View Full Version : 22 gas stations ( help )

clyde
03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
OK i am needing some help anyone with contractual suggestions on this many accounts?

Also because they are gas stations would you add anything additional to insurance and also contract.

Billing how often would you bill? 22 every week thats a lot of money very fast to get upside down on ( if it ever happened ).

Add whatever else...

any guess to average rates ( there seems to be a good bit of grass on all of them. probably 30% which is not concreted )
:weightlifter:

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 01:14 AM
They will go for cheap guarantee you that. How close are they together? How much area of grass is there? Are we talking 10kft2? Or 20kft2?

clyde
03-04-2011, 01:20 AM
about 4-5 in one town same for about 3-4 other towns which all and all they are about 30-45mins scattered ( the towns ).

I would say any where from 10 mins of cutting ( with 61" zero turn ) to 45mins cutting now. Thats not Blowing and trimming so you can sort of estimate that time.

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I would average them all out. Ex: Let's say half take 30 mins with trimming and the other half take an hour with trimming and such. So 11x.5=5.5hrs of work and 11x1=11hrs of work. So you have roughly 16.5hrs of mowing work each week. Take your hourly rate, let's say $50/hr. So that's $825/cut for all of them. And lets say they will get 23 cuts (my area). So $825X23=$18,975 for the season. Now figure your drive time. You can really charge for it, but you may be able to figure what it costs you. Lets say there's 3 hrs of drive time total each week. Maybe it "costs" you $20/hr to drive. So that's $60/cut to add on of costs. So $60X23=$1,380.

This is an example of how I would do it. Charging for driving may be a stretch, but that can suck up a lot of time and money. Think about it. You may be getting $50/hr for mowing, but once break it down you are only getting around $37.50 on average using my number. So driving will definitely knock those numbers down. Make sure you cover all your cost. If you don't get the job, let somebody else learn the hard way. I've been there before, and luckily I am still in business. It's all about learning from mistakes. This summer I will be doing a lot less driving for mowing. I think I will see a lot less money out the window.

Good luck bidding. I will keep an eye on this post. Don't use these numbers, but use your own figures. You should know what you need to charge to make money. You may find these jobs work out good for you, or maybe little jobs aren't worth it for you. That's what I have been finding out.

Swampy
03-04-2011, 01:52 AM
what ever you decide to charge them for just the mowing and trimming. Add extra for trash pick up. There is a ton of cig butts, receipts, paper towels, soda bottles, beer cans, empty cigerette packs, coffee cups, socks, ladies underwear, condoms, sandwich wrappers, bubble gum, dog sh@t, power ranger action figures, money, rocks, pipes, wire, hangers, mufflers, motor oil containers, jumper cables......... Get my drift? Word of advice get a mower with a vac system.

23 cuts? I'm just south of you about 10 miles and we are at 26 a year

oldclawn
03-04-2011, 08:19 AM
YES! A Walker mower will really help you in these types of working areas! We do 20 fast foods in the metro area and I would not even touch them without a Walker.
We were lucky to get in with these becasue another crew was totally wannabee without a clue and teh district manager let me mow them the first time "open checkbook" to get them back to shape, weed sprayed, etc then let me mow them one time to get a timing figure and what we did was figure up the total time we had in the whole run, worked it with our hourly rate and flat charged each location. 3 we lose a little on but the rest are winners. We included continual weed control in curb and bed areas in the flat charge and we get extra for bush trimming, etc, so despite the "low dollar" comments the over all package works out well enough that we could guarantee it out 3 years and it's working great.

clyde
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
I am mapping them on Google now.

I do a lot of apts and I have found everything from condoms to ladies underwear as well and it really disgust me everytime i walk upon that crap.

I ll keep you posted IF i get em.

We have on ave. 36 cuts per season. 1 hr north of New Orleans.
I have stay busy pretty much 11 months of the year. If i really want 12, as hot as it gets here I think I deserve a month off for what I have to go through in the summer.

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
what ever you decide to charge them for just the mowing and trimming. Add extra for trash pick up. There is a ton of cig butts, receipts, paper towels, soda bottles, beer cans, empty cigerette packs, coffee cups, socks, ladies underwear, condoms, sandwich wrappers, bubble gum, dog sh@t, power ranger action figures, money, rocks, pipes, wire, hangers, mufflers, motor oil containers, jumper cables......... Get my drift? Word of advice get a mower with a vac system.

23 cuts? I'm just south of you about 10 miles and we are at 26 a year

Really that high? Last year maybe. But the year before I didn't mow from the middle of July through the beginning of October. I think most guys around here figure 23-25/season. With that said, I don't to many seasonal bids. So I am still learning on those. Good luck to you this year! How's it looking for you?

Swampy
03-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Really that high? Last year maybe. But the year before I didn't mow from the middle of July through the beginning of October. I think most guys around here figure 23-25/season. With that said, I don't to many seasonal bids. So I am still learning on those. Good luck to you this year! How's it looking for you?

We always contract for 26 mowings a year, sometimes has to be twice a week, sometimes they have to be skipped a week. but If you leave the lawn longer in those drought months you can still get cutting out of them and still be green.