PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa T-270-Ever Returned One?

J. Bret Holder
09-15-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey Everyone!

I have been using Maruyama string trimmers since 1994. Our local Maruyama dealer down here shut down a few years ago. The closest Maruyama dealer now has some distance between us.

I recently purchased a Shindaiwa T-270 since I have heard how wonderful it is. Yes, it is a great machine until you flip it over and try to edge with it. Then it boggs down bad. I have adjusted the carburetor's idle and the motor still boggs. Does Shindaiwa just have a disorientation problem altogether?

Has anyone here ever purchased a Shindaiwa trimmer, only to return it to the store a few days later because of this sort of problem? This one is going back.

I'm calling tomorrow morning to that distant dealer. Maruyama for me! I should have known, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

P.S. I do love Stihl for hedge trimmers!

Scag48
09-15-2002, 10:46 PM
My Stihl FS 85RT does that too. It does it in cycles, though. It'll edge good for about 1 minute, no problem. I don't have long runs of edging, only on one job, so it's trim, edge, flip over and trim some more, constantly switching. One job that I have I have alot of edging where I have to edge for 2-3 minutes at a time. It will bog so I flip it over and run it, then continue. It kind pisses me off, my 'ol Homelite never did that! LOL. I don't know what the deal is but I sure would like to find out. BTW, I've got my idle screw set so that it idles low so the head doesn't spin AS much as it used to.

Ryan Lightning
09-15-2002, 10:49 PM
I bet its just the one you bought, Id go try another in the parking lot and see if it does the same thing.
When I bough a 480 blower, it would always bogg down at half throttle, but run good at full throttle. I took it in to the dealer atleast 5 times, it would work good for a few weeks then do it again. Finnally my dealer said "do you just want a new one" Well duh. To bad they didnt have any 480's, so I had to take a EB500! ;)

Scotlawncare
09-15-2002, 11:03 PM
check your fuel pickup tube in the tank. some trimmers pickup sticks in the part of the tank that is at the top when you turn it up. I have had the same problem a few times on my stihl and i just shake it some and the fuel pickup falls down into the fuel and no other problem. Also some people say that the carb has a vacume leak that is not allowing it to suck fuel in the upside down state. Since i have moved the fuel pickup I have never had that problem on my stihl that is 2 years old or my new one that is about a month old.

Check the fuel pickup before returning it. Shin trimmers are good as with stihl and maruy. Just remember that all these are Man made and can sometimes have a bad one due to human error in assembly. Don't judge a brand by one piece of equipment. Give the dealer a chance to fix it once before you ask for your money back.

Scot

On Edit: On my month old stihl, I have had a new cyl head put in due to an assembly error in not putting a clip in the wrist pin for the piston that locked the trimmer up. I own several other stihl products that have had 0 problems till this includeing my 2 1/2 year old stihl trimmer that was my first stihl product used almost daily.

The Mowerdude
09-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Man, I've had so many Shindaiwas over the years that I've lost count. I've never known one to do that right out of the gate. Give it a couple of seasons and sure, cause then they have a lot of use on them.

If, while in the store, it was dropped, it might have a crack in the isolator block. That would cause it to leak vacuum and may give the symptoms you describe. Take heart, your problem is not with the T-270s across the board. Your's is definately the exception to the rule.

65hoss
09-16-2002, 12:38 AM
I've had a Stihl or 2 do that before. It was a carb problem. Dealer put a new carb on and it fixed the problem. There is so many epa regulations in those carbs that it sometimes happens on them. Get the dealer to put a new carb on and you'll probably be happy with that Shindawa.

J. Bret Holder
09-16-2002, 07:44 AM
I will see what the dealer can do to fix the problem. I would like to support Shindaiwa the same way as many of you stand behind them. You know how we LCOs are, we don't have time for limitations.

I forgot to mention, we also just bought that "brick pushin' Shindaiwa EB-630 backpack blower"! That contraption means business! If its a choice between a RedMax EB-7000 or this Shindaiwa EB-630, I'd flip a coin. They are both outstanding backpack blowers!

Thank you for your comments!

mcambrose
09-16-2002, 08:24 AM
Just fixed this same problem last week on my new T270. The in-tank filter is too heavy and it kinks the pickup tube. Replace with a lighter filter and it should work perfectly. I suggest you send a nasty email to Shindaiwa to let them know someone else is having this problem. They we not helpful for me.

Bill Davis
09-16-2002, 09:31 AM
I have three T-270's and they have all done that a little out of the box. I just adjusted the carb. and the problem was fixed. Make sure your mixture of gas and oil is right. I think the Shindaiwa says 50:1 we use 40:1 and it works fine. hope this helps, Bill