PDA

View Full Version : Don't you love this time of year?

MOW ED
03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I do. Now it may not hold as much for you warm season guys who are always in shirt sleeves but for me up here in snow country I am pretty wound up. It is the whole anticipation of the season. I have been idle all winter. I didn't grow bigger as I sometimes do, I stayed in shape and actually lost 15 lbs. I feel ready to get out there. There is still a bunch of snow on the ground but its lightly raining now which makes things good. Soon the snow will be gone and the frost will be out of the ground. Everything smells good in the spring.

I sent renewal letters out and the phone is starting to ring and the e-mails are coming in. Last year was a record year for us and I am hoping for another one.

In a week or so I will be getting the trailer out and all the mowers will get batteries and a good once over. When April hits it is absolute craziness for about 6 weeks for me. Then things slow into a routine of mowing. I am looking forward to it even after 15 years. The smell of thatch in my facemask is an energy producer for me.

I hope everyone has the same anticipation as I do. It is actually a great job and although there are always the low points that we all can complain about but it sure beats the hell out of having to sit in an office and push papers. Good Luck to all.

Showpropserv
03-04-2011, 11:27 AM
summer is along way off for us between now and the 19th we are looking to be getting between 30 and 50 inches of snow and im just one state over:hammerhead:

Pressedun
03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Absolutely, can't wait to get going again. I'm sick of winter and now that it's getting warm out, I'm getting antsy. It's time to get out of the house!

watsmi57
03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
[i agree i love this time of year too! back to mowing and money making lol. wow snow on the ground huh? i started back scheduled mowing here last week ;)

i don't know how you guys survive up there for so long with no mowing.

Showpropserv
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
^ snow plowing and we dont know how you guys survive months of 90s and high humidity in the summer:waving:

Jimslawncareservice
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
i cant stand the humidity that we do get here for a few months. most of the time i will take a snow storm over it. but this is getting crazy!! last year by the 10th my yard was showing grass and by the 15th it was greening and by the 20th i believe we doing clean ups.

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I love snowplowing!

ncknaklawns
03-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Got a great deal on some multitracs at smalltires.com tomorrow going to try to put them on the rims with some crowbars.lol

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 03:47 PM
haha yeah i hate it this time of year...rofl...i mean i am excited about cutting grass again but i don't like the pollen of spring and the heat/humidity of summer lol...my favorite time of year is fall/winter down here in the south...it's nice to be able to go outside without breaking into a sweat lol...i've already cut 2 yards here and doing a cleanup next week...i imagine in a week or so grass will be growing really good..right now it's mostly weeds lol

MOW ED
03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I know you 2 above here have problems. We all do, its how you view them. All I can say is that if I was miserable doing any job I would seriously look for something else to do. Hell, I have been doing this for going on 16 years and I have seen em come and go. Both in my neighborhood and on Lawnsite. I don't care if you are full time, part time or what if you hate what you are doing or can't stand dealing with people there is trouble. We all get down but I try and find the challenge in it to keep me motivated. OK lowball me, I'll find other customers. I still like doing it and as I said, there are a bunch of potential low points about what we do but I still think there is more positive than negatives. Have a beer.:drinkup:

TuffWork
03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
We are starting to do cleanups and some fertilizers, etc. We will be thatching and aerating in a week. I'm excited.

We worked (me and two others) for 6 and a half hours today. It was awesome. I did gain some winter weight this year (I always do), and it felt awesome to start working it off.

Glad to see some excitement and enthusiasm on the board amongst all the complaining about "lowballers" and gas prices. Keep your routes tight, crew efficient, and head up. Time to make some money!

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Don't get me wrong I love this business. I went from solo last year to hiring the wife full time. I have gained 6 more full time in the last month bringing me to 114 total. I had hoped to be at 150 by now. I really want to be able to give someone a full time job. This year has just started with far more estimates than actual jobs landed. On the plus side 82 of my customers have been with me for 3+ years.
Posted via Mobile Device

coolluv
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Don't get me wrong I love this business. I went from solo last year to hiring the wife full time. I have gained 6 more full time in the last month bringing me to 114 total. I had hoped to be at 150 by now. I really want to be able to give someone a full time job. This year has just started with far more estimates than actual jobs landed. On the plus side 82 of my customers have been with me for 3+ years.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I didn't I wouldn't be doing it but it gets to me when I try to grow my business and I do things legally and the right way and a bunch of people around me can do it illegally and get away with it. Like the guy yesterday that threw the flyer in my driveway. I know that guy is illegal and doing fert and squirt illegally also. But yet he will get more work than I will because he can work cheaper and not have to pay for all the licenses and fees that I have to.

Then you have everyone offering to mow for cheap prices and it wears on you after a while. I get frustrated and come here to vent.

Dave...

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I know somebody will flame me for this. Everytime I find a flier in mine our a customers yard and they claim pest service. If there is no cpo number on it as legally required it gets faxed right to the state. I am done with yoyo's poisoning my enviroment. Its no different than dumping barrels of hazmat down a ditch or sewer.
Posted via Mobile Device

coolluv
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I know somebody will flame me for this. Everytime I find a flier in mine our a customers yard and they claim pest service. If there is no cpo number on it as legally required it gets faxed right to the state. I am done with yoyo's poisoning my enviroment. Its no different than dumping barrels of hazmat down a ditch or sewer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats awesome, You know I thought about doing something like that myself. I was thinking about that flier I got yesterday and was thinking about turning that guy in. I have to pay the fees and the higher insurance costs for fert and squirt but this guy is probably an illegal Mexican to begin with and is running an unlicensed business and not paying taxes and on top of it hes applying fert and squirt without a license.

I going to look into it.

Dave...

MOW ED
03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Guys, I am all in with you on flushing the crap out of our industry. I think that whatever legal means necessary should be used to get the illegal applicators and uninsured, unlicensed blood suckers out of our business. I have been burned by these guys too and have no problem when it comes to turning them in. I keep my house in order and so should they.
There is a certain faction of customers that are only driven by price. I used to have some of those. I don't anymore. If price is the only thing then they can go elsewhere and shop. I am not a major business but I do have a good solid core of customers for many years. I take care of them and they know what they are getting for whatever the price is that I charge. It takes money to run a legitimate business and thats a fact.
Its sunny and 22 and even though its below freezing there are puddles in the streets. The suns angle is changing. Next week we spring ahead one hour. Yee haw its coming near.

Patriot Services
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Why is it when you post a solid dose of reality on here it magically evaporates. Sorry if its not a sunshine and lollipops world for everyone. I would rather hear truth and plan around that. I always try to give costructive input but some guys have unrealistic expectations. I was raised on the premise the inexperienced learned from the experienced and the integrity of the industry was maintained.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
i cant stand the humidity that we do get here for a few months. most of the time i will take a snow storm over it. but this is getting crazy!! last year by the 10th my yard was showing grass and by the 15th it was greening and by the 20th i believe we doing clean ups.

Not this year my friend. I also thought last season we had complete snow out by March 15th. This year, can only see patches of dormant grass. More snow on the way tonight. Looks like a more typical start this year for mowing, around May 1 probably if not later. Last season, started mowing April 15.

coolluv
03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Why is it when you post a solid dose of reality on here it magically evaporates. Sorry if its not a sunshine and lollipops world for everyone. I would rather hear truth and plan around that. I always try to give costructive input but some guys have unrealistic expectations. I was raised on the premise the inexperienced learned from the experienced and the integrity of the industry was maintained.
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought I was the only one with that problem.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2sKH8yjVsM&feature=related

Dave...

GrassesGuy
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I love the smell of money when I walk out the door in the Spring, it makes me quiver!