PDA

View Full Version : Turning up the marketing?

wright5223
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I was just wondering is anyone else thinking about turning up there marketing this season i've ordered 20k postcards from plan-it graphics and I'm thinking about ordering more I'm looking to pick up about 20 more lawns.

CLS LLC
03-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I was just wondering is anyone else thinking about turning up there marketing this season i've ordered 20k postcards from plan-it graphics and I'm thinking about ordering more I'm looking to pick up about 20 more lawns.

I'm planning on passing out post cards as well. I've never hand delivered them before.

Just curious, how long do you think it will take you to pass out 20,000 post cards. How many can you do per day or per hour???

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I started a radio commercial Monday at 11am. The 1st call came in at 11:45 and have been coming in since. As of 1:53 pm today I have taken 19 calls for estimates, The fist estimate has already returned the work order with deposit and that was just a little $850 job. I have a total of 5 work orders and 5 estimates booked for tomorrow. T.V add starts a week from Monday on 2 local stations. If your not doing some kind of marketing this year, you will miss the boat.

James

Lawnut101
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Myself and one of my workers will be going around ringing doorbells and handing out doorhangers to try and pick up more fert / squirt and mowing work. I don't care about the mowing as much as the other 2 services. We are going to try and steal business away from the big boys, Tru green etc...

We are going to start towards the end of March.

BINKY1902
03-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm gonna let word-of-mouth do it's thing again this year.

GreenI.A.
03-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I hit good this winter on a scratch ticket so I decided to pour that right into my marketting. couple of rounds of direct mail post cars for new fert customers, door hangers to hit my curent customers' neighbors with, another direct mail post card for grub control, have qoutes out to have both of my trucks completely wraped. i also designed post cards for mosquito control that will be addressed and mailed as soon as we hear news this summer of EEE or West Nile found in our area, (gotta prey on the scared) Prepaid for everything ahead of time as one large order to save a substantial amount.

Also doing work with GreenCare For Troops, this advertising has lead to a number of new paying customers. Have begun the process of setting up for radio psa's for this once it is a little warmer, this should lead to more paying customers aswell as some customers who qualify for the service

jonthepain
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I started a radio commercial Monday at 11am. The 1st call came in at 11:45 and have been coming in since. As of 1:53 pm today I have taken 19 calls for estimates...

James

wow i didn't know radio worked that well! i will have to look into that.

if you don't mind me asking, what are the rates like for that? (so I know what to expect when I call the radio station)

JFGauvreau
03-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I started a radio commercial Monday at 11am. The 1st call came in at 11:45 and have been coming in since. As of 1:53 pm today I have taken 19 calls for estimates, The fist estimate has already returned the work order with deposit and that was just a little $850 job. I have a total of 5 work orders and 5 estimates booked for tomorrow. T.V add starts a week from Monday on 2 local stations. If your not doing some kind of marketing this year, you will miss the boat.

James

That's pretty good, you sound pretty big to have radio and T.V. commercials, those sure aren't cheap lol.

My self i'm planning on getting around 1.5k fliers for direct mailling. Some of my small equipment will be getting my logo and phone number on it. My trailer will be getting lettered also.

JCResources
03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
This year I'm getting back in the lawn business after selling out in 1997. So yes, we are turning up the marketing since we're starting from zero.

200 home made fliers so far along with a display ad in the local shopper.
No calls yet, but it is the first week of March and we've only been marketing for a week.

I have an order for 1,000 door hangers in process.

What is the accepted conversion for fliers or door hangers? Seemed like we got about 2% when we did it years ago.

Thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge and help on this site. It would have been nice if this kind of community had been around when I was learning things the hard way in this business.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Resources/256225321177

tradeyouraccounts
03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Id try the new ways of marketing "Social networks" Facebook twitter and the like that don't cost anything but time to develop

gasracer
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Social Media,Website, Anything I can for people to see my name out there. I leave ink pins everywhere I go, I do a lot of work with the members of my church,I put ads in directories,buy space in programs for local events.Word of mouth is picking up along with referrals.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-05-2011, 11:50 PM
wow i didn't know radio worked that well! i will have to look into that.

if you don't mind me asking, what are the rates like for that? (so I know what to expect when I call the radio station)

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I believe it was 45 commercials over a 2 week period for around $800 and the television commercials are 20 30 sec on Fox affiliate during am news and banner on website for $600 per mo. But every market is going to be different. So call your local stations.

If I can figure out how to post the commercial on here I will put it up.

James

Ted at HindSite
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
For the social media stuff, be careful. It really does take a lot more time than you think, especially Twitter. A Facebook page is probably the easiest, all you'd need to do is post an update a few times a week, and get some nice pics rotating through. And then, of course, make sure you're responding to posts on your own wall. But make sure you've got a solid website up first!

jonthepain
03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks James, I appreciate it.

that's not as high as I thought it would be.

Houston Wyatt
03-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Got out about 1500 doorhangers out of 10,000 last week, paid $580 for them. Hope to have around 5,000 out by April 1st, but its hard to find time to do it when you also got another job. Was HOPING to get at least 40 weekly clients out of that intial 5,000 doorhangers but I'm not sure how its going to turn out, only got one so far out of that first 1500..

KrayzKajun
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
im actually doing labels for postcards right now.

going to double up my marketing this year.

phillie
03-10-2011, 03:48 AM
My first batch of post cards hit today, no calls yet but that is expected. Im hitting those same houses 2 more times this spring. I also have 5k door hangers to pass out that I started this week. I'll tell you that labelling post cards is def. time consuming.

jonthepain
03-10-2011, 09:29 AM
has anybody used billboards?

gasracer
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
has anybody used billboards?

Billboards around here are $500+ a month and you have to take them for 4-6 months. I even looked into MTA buses. That is 5 buses @300 each for 3-6 months minimum

Ted at HindSite
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I even looked into MTA buses. That is 5 buses @300 each for 3-6 months minimum

Do you have to pay any setup fees for the wrap on the bus? Or is that inside the bus?

gasracer
03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Do you have to pay any setup fees for the wrap on the bus? Or is that inside the bus?

That was the back(outside) of the bus only. The sides and whole wrap were a whole lot more. I can't remember what the setup fee was.

It was much more than I wanted to spend for my operation.

jonthepain
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
thanks, racer. billboards around here are comparably priced, I was wondering if anyone here has had success with them.

jonthepain
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
oops. just found out that around here, they run around $5000 a month.

wow. out of my league...

gasracer
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
My dealer told me he spends over $6,000 a month on advertising almost year round. As a small operation you have to be creative.

rnd
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
We are constantly adding new layout ideas for door hangers, brochures, postcards and much more to our website at rndsigns.com - call to get a FREE quote on any of our printing - download a FREE marketing handbook and planner

we are the nations leader in lawn signs and print advertising!

grass-scapes
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I WISH the return was 2%. I just sent out advertising to 50,000 addresses. I am hoping for .1%.....thats not 1 percent...thats POINT 1 percent. 50.

I will be lucky to get that I hear. If I pick up 10 clients per mailing, I will feel good about it.

I am sending out 4 mailings this year to 50 k homes each

Its very similar to Val-pack but a local outfit thats been around for a long time.

clean_cut
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM

James

Let us know how the radio ads and t.v. ads work out, I'd think that customers would be very spread out, and difficult it would be difficult to concentrate your routes unless you're a larger company with various crews that travel 25-50+ miles to get to worksites on a normal day.

JFGauvreau
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I WISH the return was 2%. I just sent out advertising to 50,000 addresses. I am hoping for .1%.....thats not 1 percent...thats POINT 1 percent. 50.

I will be lucky to get that I hear. If I pick up 10 clients per mailing, I will feel good about it.

Its very similar to Val-pack but a local outfit thats been around for a long time.

Your sending 50k worth of fliers/ brochures? and hoping for a .01%? wow that's incredible, I though it would be at least 1-5%, maybe its different in your area?

And 50k fliers isn't cheap either lol.

Ted at HindSite
03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
If I pick up 10 clients per mailing, I will feel good about it.

How many clients do you need to just cover the cost of mailing this year?

walker-talker
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM

What's your cost per mailing for something like this? I was thinking if you could keep your cost down around $1K per mailing, might not be too bad.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Let us know how the radio ads and t.v. ads work out, I'd think that customers would be very spread out, and difficult it would be difficult to concentrate your routes unless you're a larger company with various crews that travel 25-50+ miles to get to worksites on a normal day.

clean cut,
I'm not advertising for mowing, I am focusing my ad campaign on landscape, irrigation and fertilization. I'm not saying I wouldn't take mowing, I'm just not looking for mowing at this time. Profit margins are to low for mowing.

James

jsslawncare
03-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Myself and one of my workers will be going around ringing doorbells and handing out doorhangers to try and pick up more fert / squirt and mowing work. I don't care about the mowing as much as the other 2 services. We are going to try and steal business away from the big boys, Tru green etc...

We are going to start towards the end of March.

Do you mean king weed and true weed?

New2TheGreenIndustry
03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Do you mean king weed and true weed?

No, I think he was referring to Tru Brown.

TheBetterDoorhanger
03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi Lawnsite Members! Advertising can be so stressful... it always feels more like your playing a round of Black Jack more than trying your hand at an investment. We are happy to walk you through the direct mail process & discuss options with you that will help keep your costs down. Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your door hanger advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads. (Our Postcards also have Stick-It so they can bring the mailer from the mailbox to the fridge!)

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well)

5,000 only $349 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $199 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock
ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

grass-scapes
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
What's your cost per mailing for something like this? I was thinking if you could keep your cost down around $1K per mailing, might not be too bad.

Its right around the 1500k mark. 30k homes is just under $1000.00