PDA

View Full Version : Trimming 250 Boxwoods.

mulchmaster
03-04-2011, 03:25 PM
One of our large snow removal customers has asked us to bid their summer work. I've been this business for 15 years, but have never had to bid trimming 250 small boxwoods. Could someone give me an idea how long this should take? Their small, only 12" to 15" and have been taken care of so we wont be taking much off. Just need an idea of how long it should take, not looking for a price (unless you wanna spit one out) lol

Mulch

ozarklawns
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
If it makes a hedgerow it would take less time but individually I would guess at this size no longer than 3-5 minutes each not including cleanup of clippings or fuel while running trimmers. Its really a volume job and I would be running as many people on trimmers as possible while having a couple guys cleaning up clippings as you go. Mulching after trimming will save you cleanup time as you can cover up SOME of he clippings with mulch. I cant really say I have done this amount of boxwoods for one client but the ones I do take about this much time each. Good Luck!

mulchmaster
03-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks Ozark.

I wish they were a hedge, that would be much easier. Whoever layed this out was a moron, as they planted everyone of these along the access road to the building. It wouldnt be a big deal if they didnt require an extreme amount of salt throught the winter season. Hopefully they all survive, but I am pretty sure some if not most will die.

Mulch

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=mulchmaster;3922739]Thanks Ozark.

I wish they were a hedge, that would be much easier. Whoever layed this out was a moron, as they planted everyone of these along the access road to the building. It wouldnt be a big deal if they didnt require an extreme amount of salt throught the winter season. Hopefully they all survive, but I am pretty sure some if not most

If you sure that most will die walk way from job

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
But if you decide to trim these boxwoods you looking from $700 to $1000

TurnerLawn&Landscape
03-04-2011, 06:57 PM
$8/hedge is what i would charge

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 07:07 PM
$8/hedge is what i would charge

if you can get paid $160 hour great :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

TMlawncare
03-06-2011, 12:32 AM
We have an HOA account that has 400 boxwoods. They are lined up like a hedge. Each one is about 14" diameter. We get $1.50/each which totaled $600 for trimming and disposal. It took 16 man hrs to complete the job.

Deori
03-06-2011, 03:29 AM
I do a lot of trimming in my neck of the woods and I'd agree with this price range. Depends on your labor and what not, of course I'd rather be closer to the grand if you think you can get it, but up to you.

Boxwoods are soft enough and you said they're small and you don't have much to take off so you shouldn't even be spending 3-5 minutes per bush as someone else said. Still, if you figure 2 minutes per bush, that's a quick shaping and walking to the next one, that's still 500 minutes (over 8 hours) of trimming time, lol. That actually sounds about right, but if you've got 2 or 3 guys trimming and 2 coming behind to clean up, you should be able to knock it all out in a half day easy.

Your back is going to hurt something awful by the end of it from bending down to trim all those little shrubs, I know!

But if you decide to trim these boxwoods you looking from $700 to $1000

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 09:05 AM
3.50 per bush would be appropriate. Personally I would trim once and spray with Atrimmec. Should last all season. Of course upsell the Atrimmec and charge accordingly. I usually get 6 months with almost no growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Acres Lawn CAre
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
3.50 per bush would be appropriate. Personally I would trim once and spray with Atrimmec. Should last all season. Of course upsell the Atrimmec and charge accordingly. I usually get 6 months with almost no growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have to have a applicators license to apply Atrimmec?

Landrus2
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
We have an HOA account that has 400 boxwoods. They are lined up like a hedge. Each one is about 14" diameter. We get $1.50/each which totaled $600 for trimming and disposal. It took 16 man hrs to complete the job.

Your customer is getting a great deal on that 16 man hours for 600 bucks that is great price :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

mulchmaster
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys, I am in the same range as you, both on price and man hours. Just looking at the place I went, "their just small boxwoods" then I counted them and realized "wow" this will be a bigger job than I thought. If you do the math, at just 2 or 3 minutes each, this isnt a job 2 guys could knock out before lunch.

Thanks, Mulch

Patriot Services
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Do you have to have a applicators license to apply Atrimmec?

Yep, its caution labeled and covered by the llcm.
Posted via Mobile Device

TMlawncare
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Your customer is getting a great deal on that 16 man hours for 600 bucks that is great price :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:
It was a good price. This account is one that we do the mowing and fert treatments on as well. On this job it avg $38/man hr. On these larger jobs we can still make a decent profit because there is no windshield time, unloading/loading. You can do it without much equipment. We used a Redmax 30" double sided hedge clipper, couple felco's, couple blowers, rakes and tarps. Industry average per hour is $40 per man hour accourding to Lawn and landscape industry report. We were right on the money.

JayD
03-08-2011, 09:27 AM
It was a good price. This account is one that we do the mowing and fert treatments on as well. On this job it avg $38/man hr. On these larger jobs we can still make a decent profit because there is no windshield time, unloading/loading. You can do it without much equipment. We used a Redmax 30" double sided hedge clipper, couple felco's, couple blowers, rakes and tarps. Industry average per hour is $40 per man hour accourding to Lawn and landscape industry report. We were right on the money.

Wow, $40 an hour for average.....I'm glad I read this thread. I had a call from someone who wants estimate on all his shrubs/bushes. It was so many, I did not want to even count them. So many different kinds of shrubs/bushes, sizes, shapes :dizzy:. I hate doing this work to begin with. I was thinking of just telling him a hourly rate to be safe. But LOL, I was going to say $25 per man hr...:hammerhead: Like I said, I don't really care for this work anyway.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-08-2011, 09:47 AM
If they are mostly 250 individual shrubs that would take longer than the 400 in a hedge row, IMO. Hedge row your only doing two sides. Individual shrubs your doing four sides, double cutting and more care for shaping. I'd be around the $1000.00 mark for something like that. Thats my opinion without walking the job site. One other point from my perspective, I'm very particular about how I do shrubs. Most of my calls for shrubs come from people who have seen what I've done elsewhere and they want the same quality.

Deori
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure if the job you're referring to is commercial or residential, but I don't think most commercial places would accept an hourly rate, they want a flat price. Personally, I wouldn't want to hire someone on their hourly rate. I know that my guys work fast no matter what, but if I was hiring another company, how do I know they're not dragging their feet to pad the bill? You look out and see them taking a long break you're gonna get pissed, lol.

Wow, $40 an hour for average.....I'm glad I read this thread. I had a call from someone who wants estimate on all his shrubs/bushes. It was so many, I did not want to even count them. So many different kinds of shrubs/bushes, sizes, shapes :dizzy:. I hate doing this work to begin with. I was thinking of just telling him a hourly rate to be safe. But LOL, I was going to say $25 per man hr...:hammerhead: Like I said, I don't really care for this work anyway.

JayD
03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Not sure if the job you're referring to is commercial or residential, but I don't think most commercial places would accept an hourly rate, they want a flat price. Personally, I wouldn't want to hire someone on their hourly rate. I know that my guys work fast no matter what, but if I was hiring another company, how do I know they're not dragging their feet to pad the bill? You look out and see them taking a long break you're gonna get pissed, lol.

Yeah, I can see your point. It is residential.

fga
03-09-2011, 12:04 AM

here we get around $75 an hour labor rate for 1 guy, $100 for 2 guys. Its such tedious work here, with all spirals and pom-poms.
On certain obs i will just give a flat price, but most of the time, its by the hour.

TMlawncare
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I never price the job by the hour to a customer whether residential or commercial. I always price by the job, regardless. Now in my head I know what I need per hour but I never relay that to the customer. They just don't understand the cost involved when figuring an hourly rate.

ozarklawns
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I do not work by the hour either. Bid things by the job. I have a trimming job at a local bank. Its three holly trees three ornamental hollies and about 30 mid-large shrubs 20-30inch. I call it $225 it takes me about 4-5 hours alone. Ive been there three years. Last year they got a new president and accepted bids. Im still there. :) I do agree $40/hr is what I shoot for but I dont tell people that. If the job sucks bid it high. That way if they do choose your service youll make what you want and it is worth the opportunity cost of doing that over other jobs you like.