PDA

View Full Version : The curse of the 25 dollar yard

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Went out to bid an old man and his son-in-law that are two homes apart. The first yard I quote $50 for the yard and spray service for the flower beds. The son-in-law wants just the cut only but his yard has a big ditch and is a bigger property. I quote him $55. The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25. I told him I don't pull out of the driveway for that. He seemed disgusted with me. I went on how I was reliable, did good work and spoke English. I then offered to cut both for $95 if they put credit card information on file with me. I was told "We will have to talk it over". I cannot imagine mowing a yard biweekly for that matter for $25 alone much less with bed service. I asked the old man where his last yard service was and he told me that they have not called them yet. I am assuming they quit or went broke. I am in a position where extra work would be nice, but I am not hungry like I was last year. Just blows my mind! :hammerhead:

gasracer
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
This is my 4th year in the business and I have never mowed for $25. either. I had one lady pull up as we were unloading for a customer and ask what I charged.I gave her my standard price and she asked if I would do it for $25.00 I said sorry but I can't. She tried to change my mind but when she realized I wouldn't she drove off. I used to find flags and door hangers on that property regular for $25 cuts. It was a empty realestate house.

SNAPPER MAN
03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow I live in north Houston which is about a hour from Baytown and we do a ton of homes for $25. I clean out the flowerbeds to. 95% of residential would not pay $55 a cut unless it is over a acre and flower beds included. Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLS LLC
03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah you really shouldn't say things like "I don't pull out of my driveway for the price" it really makes you sound unprofessional. Just tell him the benefits of your services and ask him to keep your proposal, think it over and call you if he's interested, then move on.

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow I live in north Houston which is about a hour from Baytown and we do a ton of homes for $25. I clean out the flowerbeds to. 95% of residential would not pay $55 a cut unless it is over a acre and flower beds included. Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

My minimum for biweekly is $40. I go to $32 for weekly service, $28 with a payment plan on file (mowing, edging, trimming and blowing only no flower bed work). I find it really hard to get folks to go weekly with the economy and all. These guys wanted biweekly if I did not state that. I work a week on week off so biweekly works better with my other job anyway.

Patriot Services
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
This is my 4th year in the business and I have never mowed for $25. either. I had one lady pull up as we were unloading for a customer and ask what I charged.I gave her my standard price and she asked if I would do it for $25.00 I said sorry but I can't. She tried to change my mind but when she realized I wouldn't she drove off. I used to find flags and door hangers on that property regular for $25 cuts. It was a empty realestate house.

I love when people think that they can browbeat you down. If the numbers are just too far apart, its "sorry that's my price, here is my card if you change your mind." Some are just flat out laughable. I had a lady tell me I put her old guy out of business by being greedy and doing all the lawns in this neighborhood. I said I'm not the mafia I can't make someone sign up.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow all of my accounts are weekly. I only do biweekly if it is by one of my weekly accounts. I have had no problems with this "economy" and have been getting calls and new work almost daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baytownlawncare
03-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow all of my accounts are weekly. I only do biweekly if it is by one of my weekly accounts. I have had no problems with this "economy" and have been getting calls and new work almost daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been getting alot of calls myself. Most folks just want biweekly. Any way, I could maybe see cutting a small postage stamp yard weekly for 25 but definitely would not offer any flower bed work with that. Best of luck to you this year.

fobaum
03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't do 5000 sq ft for less than $30

CircleC
03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Let me try this again....why would you ever tell anyone " I dont pull out of my drive way for that"...makes you sound unprofessional.

Also, why would you tell someone you speak "english" where you speaking another language during the sale?

Sounds like you like the bi-weekly thing because of your other job...

Sometimes people just amaze me....

FLAhaulboy
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
" The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25"

Next time, ASK why that individual isn't mowing his yard anymore...he'll prob say the guy went out of business, then you can tell the client WHY he went out of business, He wasn't charging enough!

jsslawncare
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I use the same saying. Word for word. You don't want to work for that cheap, there's no need in talking about it so, move on. You have yards to cut. I work Mon-Fri one week and Mon-Thurs the next week. It works great. Most likely they can't afford you even at $20.

cvcook
03-04-2011, 10:48 PM
" The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25"

Next time, ASK why that individual isn't mowing his yard anymore...he'll prob say the guy went out of business, then you can tell the client WHY he went out of business, He wasn't charging enough!

I've had customers like that, when I ask why aren't you still using him? they usually say " he won't return my calls " and I'm thinking.... I wonder why!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ed2hess
03-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Kinda funny how the economy doesn't seem to be bad at all in our area either. We was getting so many calls on stuff like lawn installs, trees, landscaping that we turn it all away. But prices on lawns are very low in our area, lots of top notch competition.

Turf Dawg
03-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I think here in Texas the 25 bucks is a large town curse. I'm about 70 miles from Dallas and you will find very few [a couple and they look like crap] that will do lawns for 25, but I have kinfolk that live in a big nice house in Flower Mound and they get theirs cut for under 25 with tax from a legit company that does pretty darn good work. It seems pretty common around the Metroplex for 25 on the small lawns.

TuffWork
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I mow plenty for $25. That's my standard price. I do pretty well if I say so myself. My price is the same standard price pretty much everyone around here charges. I charge more if it's a corner lot or something with a huge yard. I even do my neighbors that are on my block for $20. I don't have to spend any gas money on driving!

Baytownlawncare
03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Well I did get a nice call from the gentleman just telling me that they are going to pass. As for all you that think I mow biweekly because of my schedule, I don't. I offer weekly and biweekly and most often I don't even mention my other job. I had a few weekly yards last year but it is a hard sell in Baytown. I do have to shift work to certain days of the week for this to happen.

TexasFire221
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I have almost 70 accounts and only have 3 weekly accounts and 2 of them are commercial. I live in a small town and the money isnt great here, 90% of my lawns are not sprinklered so there is no reason to mow weekly because there is no grass to mow weekly.

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
i cut one yard for $25...it was a one time deal with no trimming or blowing off the sidewalk/driveway...and it was only the front yard...weird but that's what they wanted lol...i would cut a small yard for $25...like one of those little townhouse yards that takes about 15-20min....average yard here is about 1/2 acre almost so i charge $40-$50 most of the time depending on the yard....and most people here want biweekly as well...who wants a $200 a month lawnpayment? lol...$100 is bad enough rofl

Baytownlawncare
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
i cut one yard for $25...it was a one time deal with no trimming or blowing off the sidewalk/driveway...and it was only the front yard...weird but that's what they wanted lol...i would cut a small yard for $25...like one of those little townhouse yards that takes about 15-20min....average yard here is about 1/2 acre almost so i charge $40-$50 most of the time depending on the yard....and most people here want biweekly as well...who wants a $200 a month lawnpayment? lol...$100 is bad enough rofl

I had three yards last year that I charged 30 or less. 2 were front yard only the other was a small investment property that the guy was trying to sell. They were quick in and out in under 20-25 minute properties. I have a front yard only this year and I charge her $30. I commend you guys that want to cut 100 yards at $25 but I am just not going to do that. I would rather have a handful of quality clients that are willing to pay a decent amount than have a ton where I have to hump and get it and maybe miss something and quality suffers. To each his own.

2ndNature
03-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I wish we could get those higher rates. Most 5,000 sqft lawns here are $25-$35. about 75% of ours fall into that range. Luckily all are weekly mows.

Johnny test
03-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I tell the customer that a bi-weekly mow is not 50% of a weekly mow it is higher because of taller grass and that it is not good for the lawn to cut so much off at a time. If I mow a yard weekly for 30 I'll mow it bi-weekly for 45.

kilgoja
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
yeah i do that...if i cut every week i'll charge $40 and if it's bi weekly i'll charge $50...it's kindof a discount for getting it done every week which is easier to maintain

Baytownlawncare
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I tell the customer that a bi-weekly mow is not 50% of a weekly mow it is higher because of taller grass and that it is not good for the lawn to cut so much off at a time. If I mow a yard weekly for 30 I'll mow it bi-weekly for 45.

I am not far off from you. My lowest weekly rate is $32, I will drop to $28 if they put a payment plan on file with me. But the gentlemen I am discussing in this thread wanted bi-weekly. My minimum on those is $40. More likely, I charge $45.

GarPA
03-07-2011, 06:59 AM
2 Old proverbs in the green industry...

"Don't let the bozo who went out of business set your prices"

and

"Two ways to lose money...
1. sit on the sofa and watch Oprah...or
2. work for next to nothing...."

The sofa is a better choice...lower expenses and less wear and tear on your person.....

fga
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

me also. sometimes, I get calls to come twice in the same week for a few accounts if we're having a rainy june. I bill on the first of the month for whatever got done....and I only work within, i'd estimate 10 miles, so its no big deal to accomadate a quality customer.

cms289
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Were I am, we have ALOT of... well, not so legal completion. Area makes a huge difference. In the area I work we have people that do a lawn I would never take for less than 25 weekly, they do the same one for 20 bi-weekly. It is freaking nuts. But there are so many that as one goes away, another shows up. None pay taxes, insurance or anything. I assume most do not even have a DBA.

I am getting many contacts looking for cheap work. I am thinking about doing another DBA and take the cheap ones under that name and make the small profit, but try to make up for it with quantity.

GrassesGuy
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
2 Old proverbs in the green industry...

"Don't let the bozo who went out of business set your prices"

and

"Two ways to lose money...
1. sit on the sofa and watch Oprah...or
2. work for next to nothing...."

The sofa is a better choice...lower expenses and less wear and tear on your person.....

exactly dude!

kilgoja
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
the only $25 yard regular customer i ever had was when i worked for another business and we had a TCBY with one strip of grass on it...was about 2' x20'...we just used the trimmers on it and it took like 5 min to cut lol

Lurch01
03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Well My friend, we are making a fortune on the $25.00 cuts. Cutting lawns is not a degree worthy field.

Up to 10,000 sq ft for $25.00 all day.

Stay in bed while other take your contracts. In all business you must evolve or die.

Went out to bid an old man and his son-in-law that are two homes apart. The first yard I quote $50 for the yard and spray service for the flower beds. The son-in-law wants just the cut only but his yard has a big ditch and is a bigger property. I quote him $55. The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25. I told him I don't pull out of the driveway for that. He seemed disgusted with me. I went on how I was reliable, did good work and spoke English. I then offered to cut both for $95 if they put credit card information on file with me. I was told "We will have to talk it over". I cannot imagine mowing a yard biweekly for that matter for $25 alone much less with bed service. I asked the old man where his last yard service was and he told me that they have not called them yet. I am assuming they quit or went broke. I am in a position where extra work would be nice, but I am not hungry like I was last year. Just blows my mind! :hammerhead:

kilgoja
03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
i got a yard i charge $25 for...it takes 25min to cut it and it's really small and within a mile of my house lol

Hawg City Lawns
03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Well My friend, we are making a fortune on the $25.00 cuts. Cutting lawns is not a degree worthy field.

Stay in bed while other take your contracts. In all business you must evolve or die.

im not making a fortune but i will tell you that i have biweeklys priced anywhere from $30 to $50 (and even one at $100 but thats not relevant) price based on size and parts of town newer neighborhoods get charged a little more older neighborhoods with several older people living around there get priced lower then so and so tells their neighbor and business comes in id mow their yard at a discounted price just for the possibility they will tell someone else i wouldnt mow it for any 25 bucks though but give them a group deal sell it to them make it sound too good to pass up

coolluv
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM

Care to go into more detail? What is the average size lawn? What size mowers are you using and what kind? How many people on a crew? What type truck and trailers? What is your cost per hour per crew? How much is a fortune? How much profit per day after all overhead? What are you paying your crew, leadman driver, etc? $25 weekly, bi weekly or both?

Dave...

coolluv
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

Dave...

StihlMechanic
03-28-2011, 05:06 PM
$25 seems to be the magic number where I am. I only do $25 if its weekly and 1/8 acre resi interior lot. I got alot of calls last year wanting it done for $20, one time deal. I never returned their calls. I might consider doing a "no frills" mowing for $20, no edging, trimming or blowing with my 60 inch. It will look like crap, but thats what $20 will get you. Then they will see the value in my service. Or maybe not.

I am hoping next year to make the $25 weekly service a $30-35 weekly.

GMLC
03-28-2011, 05:13 PM
My min. is $30. Seems when ever I deviate from that it turns into a mess. You give an inch and they take a foot!

XLS
03-28-2011, 05:55 PM
guys i hate to say it but out of all to things that makes this industry seem so shooty in the top 5 has to be the 2 week service guys who think they are a real LCO i am not saying this toward the guys who offer weekly and bi-weekly just teh Bi-weekly only guys . its not the pricing the lack of insurance or the lack of uniforms that does it ,its the 2 week guys thinking they are making a differance . we have less then 100 customers with active irrigation and we run weekly cuts for most of then untill say august when drought makes then burn out for a bit . as for the 25.00 curse
we have guys here that will cut an acre for 25.00 and make money at it how much i dont know . we will get $22.50 for 5k $25.00 for 10k or less $35.00 1/2acre $45.003/4 acre $50.00 an acre (lot size)for our mow and blow crews and as for the economy it is just fine from where i stand .

kilgoja
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
i charge $40 for 1/3 acre $50 for 1/2 acre $65 for 3/4 acre and $75 for 1 acre...if a job took 30min to mow, trim, edge, and blow i would charge $25...very few yards around here that are that small...i'm a one man operation...i have no help...usually takes me 1 hr to mow, trim, edge, blow a 1/2 acre yard

Lurch01
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Care to go into more detail? What is the average size lawn? What size mowers are you using and what kind? How many people on a crew? What type truck and trailers? What is your cost per hour per crew? How much is a fortune? How much profit per day after all overhead? What are you paying your crew, leadman driver, etc? $25 weekly, bi weekly or both?

Dave...

I pay by the lawn, nothing more. I pay by the lawn, easy as that. Please understand a crew can cut 3 lawns a hour in Suburbia. My neighborhood alone has 1447 homes. You can see how it can work for you.

krackerjack9
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
You told a customer that you even spoke English??? Wow!!! If you did that my area you loose 90% of your best paying customers. And I could be wrong. About 30% of mine speak 3 maybe 4 different languages, 50% only 2 languages, 15% 1 Language (english just guessing) 5% more than 5 languages.

Different areas all over the country your going to have different customs. Here in South Texas you got German, Spanish, lots and I mean lots of Arabic and with all the Chinese companies that are coming in im sure some one of the big wheels will end up buying some 5000 to 10,000 acre ranch. If you want to grow you cant think of only US you have to look Worldwide. I was in Iraq for 3yrs and man if I didnt run into people I had not seen in years. Its a small world. I even got a customer who is from Turkey and one of thier cousins was a truckdriver in Iraq and "he told them about me" and just by chance Mr. Talloum asked if i remember a old man whoI had taken some pictures with in Anaconda and sure enough it was his cousin. The way the world is changing China is and will be the major player that everyone will be wanting to due business with. Basicly their in their where the US was 50yrs ago and thier growing like weed, where as the US has had thier day and were not even in the same leagues as growth potential. US maybe 320 million China 3 billion huge difference.

TuffWork
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I have a theory. Pricing is different for many reasons. Some are your local cost of living and overhead. However, types of grass, size of residential yards, local obstacles (different types of fencing, for example), mulch or bag, traffic, etc. all dictate how long it takes you to do a yard. Whether I'm working that day or not there is always a two man crew when we go to work. On a full day we will do around 15 yards. Sometimes as many as 20, but sometimes as few as 12. The days I do 12 there are plenty that will run $30 or $35. The days that I do 20 are opposite. Mostly $25 but a couple of $20. So, you guys that are charging $50 a cut. How many are you doing in a day?

madisonpressurewashing
03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
$40 for 1/2 or less. I take the good with the ugly. I know that there are some very very small yards where $25 is fair, but, not the best way to make a living.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Went out to bid an old man and his son-in-law that are two homes apart. The first yard I quote $50 for the yard and spray service for the flower beds. The son-in-law wants just the cut only but his yard has a big ditch and is a bigger property. I quote him $55. The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25. I told him I don't pull out of the driveway for that. He seemed disgusted with me. I went on how I was reliable, did good work and spoke English. I then offered to cut both for $95 if they put credit card information on file with me. I was told "We will have to talk it over". I cannot imagine mowing a yard biweekly for that matter for $25 alone much less with bed service. I asked the old man where his last yard service was and he told me that they have not called them yet. I am assuming they quit or went broke. I am in a position where extra work would be nice, but I am not hungry like I was last year. Just blows my mind! :hammerhead:one guy around here does them for $12-$15 weekly He push mow them
i get $30 out same size weekly

kilgoja
03-28-2011, 11:20 PM
i do 5-6 yards a day max...but i'm just one person...most yards take 1hr-1 1/2 hrs...the smaller ones take 45 min and one i have that's really small takes 30min...the bigger yards can take up to 2hrs-2 1/2 hrs

freshcut419
03-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Were I am, we have ALOT of... well, not so legal completion. Area makes a huge difference. In the area I work we have people that do a lawn I would never take for less than 25 weekly, they do the same one for 20 bi-weekly. It is freaking nuts. But there are so many that as one goes away, another shows up. None pay taxes, insurance or anything. I assume most do not even have a DBA.

I am getting many contacts looking for cheap work. I am thinking about doing another DBA and take the cheap ones under that name and make the small profit, but try to make up for it with quantity.

I just read the other day that Texas public schools are now over 50% Hispanic. I'm thinking that is why there is such cheap labor down there.

gasracer
03-28-2011, 11:42 PM
guys i hate to say it but out of all to things that makes this industry seem so shooty in the top 5 has to be the 2 week service guys who think they are a real LCO i am not saying this toward the guys who offer weekly and bi-weekly just teh Bi-weekly only guys . its not the pricing the lack of insurance or the lack of uniforms that does it ,its the 2 week guys thinking they are making a differance . we have less then 100 customers with active irrigation and we run weekly cuts for most of then untill say august when drought makes then burn out for a bit . as for the 25.00 curse
we have guys here that will cut an acre for 25.00 and make money at it how much i dont know . we will get $22.50 for 5k $25.00 for 10k or less $35.00 1/2acre $45.003/4 acre $50.00 an acre (lot size)for our mow and blow crews and as for the economy it is just fine from where i stand .

I have a $30 minimum and it must be within 5 miles of my house and a area that I work When gas reaches $4.25 a gallon they are all going to $35. My normal fee is $35 and up.

cms289
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Freshcut, you are right on the money. But you will never get the wimps in government to do anything about it. But I bet if I stopped paying sales tax and all I would be in jail in days...

Tinkerer
03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
When I have had potential customers make lowball counter offers I reply with "at that price I'd be a volunteer instead of a business owner".

Exact Rototilling
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
One of my most loyal customers in a retirement community who is struggling financially had another Co. bid on her lawn. This is a company I was referring herbicide and fret combo to. That is not going to happen now. I was mowing it for $25 and they bid it at $20. They even bid a stand alone aeration at $30. For a number of years I was wondering how they can work so cheap since I knew their pricing. I just went to their website few days ago... down for non payment of services. Very embarrassing for them. Even 3 years ago I thought their rates where low on mowing. Their quality is acceptable but not top tier. My quality of cut and attention to detail, correct burn free edging is top tier in my area. I have driven by other LCO's in the area and they cant even edge their own places correctly truly mind blowing to me.

This "I won't drop my gate for less than $45 minimum charge" will not fly here. Even 3 years ago I tried to build a mowing route at $35 min charge. Lead Balloons.

This is a warning for those of you in my local area CDA Idaho region. DO NOT quit your secure boring job with benefits for a dream job in lawn care. If you're un-employed get a job at Silverwood or some other service job instead. This area is loaded down with a ton of low price hacks. $15 - $20 sprinkler blow outs. Clear your drive way of snow for $15. Herbicide and fert with aeration for $39.95 up to 8k square feet.

Thank God I was able to get established 3 years ago. Even my nursery supplier told me last Spring all the guys are dropping prices. Regardless I fully expect this to be my best year ever - despite all this ... but my desire to buy a new truck and expand beyond solo....??? I may but I'm not going to ship wreck myself with this price match race to the bottom.

One of the member here on lawnsite was a very experienced successful irrigation contractor in FL. He moved here 3 years ago and was blown away by all the half price hacks in irrigation.

Maybe it's this way in other areas? Not sure just had to vent.

r8derman
03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Been in the biz for 6 yrs now and have never cut for $25.00...that's just nuts.
My average residential property is $45 - $50 per visit. With everything going up in price, gas, oil, even groceries for that matter...I can't figure out why people think we are supposed to work so cheap...and it's the guys who are low balling that are hurting the rest of the industry. Don't be afraid to charge high for doing a good job...just make sure it looks amazing when you leave and you shouldn't have a problem.

r8derman
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
You are right XLS...grass is not meant to be cut "bi-weekly"...a healthy yard should be cut at least once a week...I cut mine every 5 days in growing season. I have a few that go bi-weekly but I discourage it and if it gets out of hand I tell them they have to go every week.

madisonpressurewashing
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Been in the biz for 6 yrs now and have never cut for $25.00...that's just nuts.
My average residential property is $45 - $50 per visit. With everything going up in price, gas, oil, even groceries for that matter...I can't figure out why people think we are supposed to work so cheap...and it's the guys who are low balling that are hurting the rest of the industry. Don't be afraid to charge high for doing a good job...just make sure it looks amazing when you leave and you shouldn't have a problem.

ditto!! :clapping:

brianslawncare
03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
their is a guy advertising in my area 25.00 for a 80x100 cut trimmed and blow???

XLS
03-31-2011, 02:30 AM
our 1 acre lots will take a 2 man crew with $6,000 in equipment and a 1200.00 truck 25 minutes max on our cheaper $25.00 crews the lots are 6-12 minutes with $ 3000, in good equipmentand the same 1200.00 truck understand the 25.00 lawns are not in ares with the 50.00+ jobs or in towns where a crews minimum bill is 150.00 a hour for a 2 man crew we target different towns cities even counties with in our state and each location has its own pricing systems . and i will clear the air on the 25.00 lawns type systems ......its one of the highest profit margins in our company and gross for that one business model is by far the highest of our branches so it may not work for others in certian areas of the us but it works for others, its all going to go back to each ones understandings of that type of a business and the numberrs related to that type of servie in that market

XLS
03-31-2011, 02:36 AM
brian its 8000 sqft if the guy has his numbersin line and is willing to work for a few$$ LESS untill his target customer base is met then he may be fine .....considering he may have picked up 25 customers from those very flyers and they may be in very specific areas (2 neigborhoods near his house ) you dont know if he can do it for that price unless you work for him and you didnt get paid this week . if they are flat lots the 25.00 for 8 k isnt a big job ........with a 30'' ZTR mower him and one guy could do 40 a day of that size where as he may have only got 15 all year at 35+

Patriot Services
03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
I just don't understand the guys that speak in absolutes. The "I won't drop my gate for less than 35.00" or "I refuse to do biweekly". The majority of my city props are 1k in actual grass. A few passes with 21" done in 10 minutes. 75-90 bucks a month year round. More if they want full maintainence. Every area is going to be different.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnkingforever
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
I just don't understand the guys that speak in absolutes. The "I won't drop my gate for less than 35.00" or "I refuse to do biweekly". The majority of my city props are 1k in actual grass. A few passes with 21" done in 10 minutes. 75-90 bucks a month year round. More if they want full maintainence. Every area is going to be different.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. My most profitable yards are the smaller yards that are grouped together.

CJCuttingEdge
03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I had someone call me and ask if I "would match a price" I replied that I wouldn't but would be interested in giving my own estimate... explaing that tho she may think all lawn services are the same you just can't compare them! I showed up to look at the property knowing that she was going to be all about numbers... I quoted her 28 per week, it was a avg size (smaller lawn) which would include cut,trim,edge,bag clippings and blow debris from walks... she took the estimate with a grin and then showed me the price she wanted to be matched or "beat" it was $12-17 per MONTH...:hammerhead: how and why is anyone going to cut grass for $12 a month?? if you guys think its bad where you live try dealing with the cut throats in my area!

gasracer
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I had someone call me and ask if I "would match a price" I replied that I wouldn't but would be interested in giving my own estimate... explaing that tho she may think all lawn services are the same you just can't compare them! I showed up to look at the property knowing that she was going to be all about numbers... I quoted her 28 per week, it was a avg size (smaller lawn) which would include cut,trim,edge,bag clippings and blow debris from walks... she took the estimate with a grin and then showed me the price she wanted to be matched or "beat" it was $12-17 per MONTH...:hammerhead: how and why is anyone going to cut grass for $12 a month?? if you guys think its bad where you live try dealing with the cut throats in my area!

That's $7 a week...WOW>

CJCuttingEdge
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
i just looked at it and shook my head :nono: lol im guessing if there was 4 weeks they would charge 12 or if 5 weeks 17 I am not sure how they got the numbers they figured but whatever... whoever it is have fun cutting grass for a loss! and to the customer : when they break your window with a stone dont ask me to file the claim under my policy because ya find out they didnt have one :walking:

tlcny
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
My minimum for biweekly is $40. I go to $32 for weekly service, $28 with a payment plan on file (mowing, edging, trimming and blowing only no flower bed work). I find it really hard to get folks to go weekly with the economy and all. These guys wanted biweekly if I did not state that. I work a week on week off so biweekly works better with my other job anyway.

wow so you are working for 20 a cut biweekly takes longer to do the job right so you should charge more and you should not give any deal for a payment plan i have a house payment they don't give me a deal to make it early on time or any other.price is what it is take it or leave it.

justanotherlawnguy
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Why do so many lawn guys on here feel compelled to justify their prices to customers?

The price is the price and if they don't like it, then so long!

Anytime you find yourself explaining why your price is what it is, stop for a second and think to yourself, "why am I telling this person ........." (fill in the blank with whatever point your trying to make).

It's really this simple guys: there are 2 kinds of customers, those who will take your price and those who don't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM

I think somebody was pulling shenanagans. If that was such a great deal to her why bother calling anyone else. I have never had a customer show me a written estimate from some other lco. I love the old "but my last guy only charged xx.xx" and where is he now? Certain demographics seem to think this is a negotiation game and can browbeat you into a lower price.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
tlcny , i know what you mean but i want to have a bit of fun........shows what you know if you pay our house off its alot less then the payment if these cheap guys can roll enough money long enough they pay cash if theymess up its crash and burn .

Roachy
04-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Hey I got into this industry rolling up to houses in a minivan with the seats out and my pushmower and weedwack in the back trunk. and hell ya i lowballed the crap out of people and no shot i was insured either. But i sure busted my butt and worked hard and soon enough the neighbors were callin me too. I use to lowball the first customer in every neighborhood cause once I was there i knew i would pick up more business.. and now I actually have my truck and trailer and plenty of happy customers and charge much more. Thanks for complaining about me in every post this site...

singed:
Jonny McLowballer

Hawg City Lawns
04-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Hey I got into this industry rolling up to houses in a minivan with the seats out and my pushmower and weedwack in the back trunk. and hell ya i lowballed the crap out of people and no shot i was insured either. But i sure busted my butt and worked hard and soon enough the neighbors were callin me too. I use to lowball the first customer in every neighborhood cause once I was there i knew i would pick up more business.. and now I actually have my truck and trailer and plenty of happy customers and charge much more. Thanks for complaining about me in every post this site...

singed:
Jonny McLowballer

thank god that was a joke

Patriot Services
04-01-2011, 04:56 PM
thank god that was a joke

Are you sure? Profile fits one vehicle a day I see at the gas station.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Why do so many lawn guys on here feel compelled to justify their prices to customers?

The price is the price and if they don't like it, then so long!

Anytime you find yourself explaining why your price is what it is, stop for a second and think to yourself, "why am I telling this person ........." (fill in the blank with whatever point your trying to make).

It's really this simple guys: there are 2 kinds of customers, those who will take your price and those who don't.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, if pressed on a estimate for a lower price all I will say is "for that price it isn't worth it to me".

In 2009 season I went on a estimate for a 1 acre property that had a backyard enclosed with a stockade fence( well over 300' long), a pool enclosed by a fence, a swing-set, junglejim, doghouse, about a dozen flowerbeds, sidewalk in front, walkways in front and back of the house. All needed to be trimmed around.

Before I could give her a estimate price she says "the guys that did it for me last year did it for $30.00 weekly, if you can match that the job is yours". I said "how come you didn't use them this year because that's well below my price". She said she tried but their phone was disconnected. So I asked how long did it take them to do it. She said "only about a hour with a 3 man crew including all the trimming and edging". I said they undercharged you and they are probably out of business. She said well, I'll keep looking.

Some people have no clue.